Ode to Billy Joe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ode to Billy Joe Reviews

October 19, 2014
Ode to Billly Joe is the first in film film to have a gay or bi sexual main character played without a hint of stereotyping. BEAUTIFULLY filmed it gives a real depth and feel for the rural deep south in the 1950's. The success of the film, a 50 million dollar box office on a 1 million dollar budget gave Universal the feedback needed to green light Coal Miners Daughter with a major budget in 1979.
May 6, 2014
I loved this movie as a teenager and still do! In the description it says it's a gay/lesbian movie. NOT TRUE! Something happened to him that wasn't his fault and he was ashamed.
July 2, 2012
An all time favorite! Makes u laugh and cry and OMG. ! Love it!
April 18, 2012
love this movie had crush so out of this world on Robbie love those eyes
October 29, 2011
Such a sad kind of gut wrenching mysterious story, yet there is something so riveting about it...Robbie Benson and Glynnis O'Connor for starters as well as the hit song by Bobbie Gentry which I guess is the premise for this movie? Even though I hate what happens in it, to a confused, frustrated, misled boy...I've always liked this movie.
June 3, 2011
remember this from 1976...I saw it then ....not bad....
½ May 16, 2011
I just recently learned this movie was gay themed. I remember there being some controversy over it back when it came out, but since I never saw it I didn't know what it was.
The story revolves around how a young girl's life is changed by her relationship with Billy Joe. Glynnis O'Connor is cute and plucky as the main character and Robby Benson has a sly sexuality to him that makes this movie interesting. It succeeds in depicting, albeit in an awkward way, how being gay in Tennessee, in the mid 50s, was a secret and shameful thing.
April 2, 2011
I watched this one around 3 am this morning (4/2/2011) & I gave it 3 stars. I never read the synopsis or the info on a movie before i watch it, because more often than not, they give a way the plot as they did in this one.

This movie was a big stab at what could've been a possible classic. In my personal opinion, what killed it was the long drawn out storyline. I kept feeling like there was not a quick enough resolution to the building up of a climax. Then when the movie finally DID climax, the song in the film that i'd never heard...had already given the climax away!! I was very upset with the outcome, but i'm a huge fan of both Robby Benson & Glynnis O'Connor so i gave it 3 stars for great acting & wonderful cinematography.
February 19, 2011
Thank you Jesus that I don't live in Mississippi because the discrimination, ignorance, fear and hatred towards certain minorities and others perceived as different is horrendous. This movie depicts the smalltown mores of a Mississippi backwater in the early '50s. Robby Benson (Billy Joe) confesses his love to Glynnis O'Connor (Bobbi Lee) for most of the film..its not until the last 16 mins of the movie that real drama kicks in when Billy Joe makes a confession to Bobbi Lee. I agree that the acting, dialogue was good but it failed to engage me big time! This film was boring and so slow overall...Billy Joe should have moved West or to NYC and pursue his dreams whatever they were but to remain in a stagnant town, with prejudiced people is simply suffocating to death. I live in TN which borders Mississippi and having heard so many horrible things about that area just makes me stay away. The plot is about an 18 year old boy named Billy Joe McAllister who is in love with Bobbie Lee, but her father refuses to allow her to receive gentlemen callers before she's sixteen. In the Mississippi Delta, in a time before the boondocks had seen television and indoor plumbing, a young man's fancy turns constantly to thoughts of love. The film demonstrates the tragic consequences of a young couple's first awkward grapplings with love and sex. It isn't until the last 15 mins that we come to understand the truth behind Billy Joe and what forced him to do what he did but the smartest person from the whole cast was Bobbi Lee who stops the man from disclosing to her parents what really happened with Billy Joe. Bobbi Lee loved Billy Joe that she lied to her parents saying she was pregnant when she really wasn't. The whole town made Billy Joe a legend and she made sure it remained that way. I applaud her for doing what she did but this movie was boring...
January 29, 2011
I watched this movie with my big brother when we were on Holidays I think I was 16 I remember my brother getting mad because I was crying it was such a good show I loved it Id love to watch it again
jjnxn
January 13, 2011
Great song but a dull indifferently acted movie.
½ March 10, 2008
Quite possibly one of my favorite films that has NOT been released on DVD.
½ March 10, 2010
For a young man to Be At His Sexual Peak ... And Have his Virginity Spoiled By A Dirty Old Man ???
This Pulls At The HArt Strings ...
And It HAs Happend to soo many young men That Will And Have Not And Never Will Breath A Word Of It In THeir Life .. So Many Take That haunting Tragic Seacret To Thier Graves ..
O By THe Way This Is A Good Movie ;p
½ January 1, 2010
Pretty good movie. Never thought I'd like it. I used to mark this "NOT INTERESTED" but then I saw it and liked it. Oldie but goodie. I wish they had Jeremy listed on here though.
½ November 27, 2009
LOVED IT MY SISTER WAS NAME AFTER HIM
flixsterman
½ June 27, 2009
Not the 'manliest' of movies, in fact you could plausibly retitle it Brokeback Bridge, but I never get tired of watching it. I had quite the crush on Glynnis O'Connor back in my youth. She was sorta' the Juliette Lewis of the seventies, all soft and girl-next-doorishly sexy. Still hard to believe that Robby Benson passed her up for a roll in the hay with James Best. Dude, what were you thinking!?
May 31, 2009
It was the 3rd of June another sleepy, dusty , delta day!
December 10, 2007
This is a good movie you don't see everyday on TV. I wish they could play it or post some vidz up here.
½ September 7, 2008
Loved this movie, some powerful work by Glynnis O'Connor as well as by Robby Benson. back in the day, Robby Benson was just soo cute {sigh}
August 16, 2008