Oedipus Rex - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oedipus Rex Reviews

½ January 26, 2008
One of the best productions of 20th century classical music I have seen. Julie Taymor does a fantastic job with the film, bringing the full power of Stravinsky's neoclassical opera/oratorio to bear.
September 21, 2007
Julie Taymor's costuming and art design are beyond over-the-top, turning Stravinsky's stately opera into a kabuki fever dream from Hades.
December 15, 2010
I saw this film on my history of theater class, and wow, the costume desings and those masks were outstanding! I cannot make plot, music, or any edition here, because this is a story that everybody SHOULD KNOW BY NOW! IS AN OLD STORY! Hello! Anyway, I will tell the plot, since this is an Opera version only by Julie Taymor :P

Plot: Edipo Rey is the son of a king and a queen. His father is told by an oracle (oraculo in spanish) that he will have a cursed, this curse is his son will kill him and will marry his mother. OMG! Yeah, same reaction here XD Anyway, he tells the messanger to kill his son, but instead of killing him, he takes the baby to other kings (NEW PARENTS! YEY!). Anyway, want to know how it ends? Read the story yourself :) Or watch this OPERA FILM!

To end this amazing short review, I must say it was 4 stars of 5. I must admit since it's a play made in OPERA VERSION, IS SUPER SLOW! But it has lot of symbols and masks and costumes that YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS! Well, I did! :P Enjoy and VIVA THE THEATER! I must admit, I'm starting to love more the work of this women. Taymor rocks!
½ September 10, 2009
Set design and overall aesthetics are nothing short of brilliant but the show itself could have been done in 25 minutes and instead is done in 50 minutes because of all the repetition. There has to be way of doing opera without all the repeting.
June 21, 2009
Doesn't kabuki rely on minimalism? Besides the benshi narrator there wasn't much tradition to this adaptation. A western piece spoken in Japanese. Yeah, the set designs were great but the plot seem to take a back seat, merely being told to us rather that shown through characters. Like planets moving through the solar system, amazingly yet impassively felt.
½ September 3, 2008
Excellent. Like all other Taymor work. Are these films for anyone other than Theater students???
½ January 26, 2008
October 31, 2007
The piece that proved Julie Taymor is a god
September 21, 2007
September 12, 2007
This is the most beautiful opera I have ever seen. The costumes are brilliant, the music is superb, and the direction of the entire opera is perfection.