Of Love and Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Of Love and Shadows Reviews

½ December 5, 2015
Of Love and Shadows is a decent film. It is about Irene who is a magazine editor living under the shadow of the Pinochet dictatorship in Chile. Antonio Banderas and Jennifer Connelly give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Betty Kaplan did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
November 10, 2014
good historical drama
DrStrangeblog
July 12, 2014
Starts slowly but builds interest as a newly paired sheltered journalist (Jennifer Connelly) and subversive photographer (Antonio Banderas) who works "in the shadows" uncover military atrocities in 1970s Chile. He comes off as a real prick in the opening scenes but the story develops in a way that makes their close working relationship turn into a believable love affair with both reacting to a desperate need to cherish life amidst a country full of tragic stories under the domineering thumb of a fascist government. Novelty to see Connelly cast as a Chilean, she's positively gorgeous and her accent is not bad at all, it's the Spanish & South American actors speaking English with heavy accents that can be hard to understand! The stars share a passionate love scene in the mountains outside an abandoned mine, now that would be one hearty good-lookin' baby.
½ June 5, 2014
I wanted to like this film, as I do both of the actors here, and I'm always against dictatorships and governmental brutality, but this film was just too slow and sometimes confusing. I'm sure the book was better.
½ May 2, 2012
A boring, never ending melodramatic lullaby!
March 12, 2012
This was an excellent movie and I can't believe it received such a low rating. It led me to do some research on this very dark and violent time in Chile. I would rate it a 5 star.
November 29, 2011
It would be popular if it was good.
September 22, 2011
I'm shocked this movie was given such low ratings. The performances were great, the settings and characters well rounded and believable. Banderas and Connelly are two of the most beautiful people in the movies today. The story line had me on the edge of my seat. Yes, it was told in a "laid back" sort of dreamy style, but it is a balance between a love story and political intrigue. Perhaps those that gave it low ratings were looking for a bit more blood and gore? More shoot -em up?
½ February 5, 2011
so desirble..:) hot couple
September 25, 2010
I loved this movie! Antonio was hot, great story line, credible characters!
August 11, 2009
Human but way too crude, dry & spoon-feeding hard.
July 20, 2008
Antonio Banderas & Jennifer Connelly really did a great performance.
August 17, 2007
good love the love scene very romantic
½ April 20, 2007
Much³ better than "The House of the Spirits"!
Gostei que a Jennifer Connelly fez sotaque, não conheço tantos atores americanos que se esforçam assim. Mesmo assim, a atuação dela ainda estava engatinhando..
March 3, 2007
not enough stars to rate!!
August 4, 2006
Fascinating! The book is much better but the perfomances are great too.