43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Of Love and Shadows Reviews

DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

July 12, 2014
Starts slowly but builds interest as a newly paired sheltered journalist (Jennifer Connelly) and subversive photographer (Antonio Banderas) who works "in the shadows" uncover military atrocities in 1970s Chile. He comes off as a real prick in the opening scenes but the story develops in a way that makes their close working relationship turn into a believable love affair with both reacting to a desperate need to cherish life amidst a country full of tragic stories under the domineering thumb of a fascist government. Novelty to see Connelly cast as a Chilean, she's positively gorgeous and her accent is not bad at all, it's the Spanish & South American actors speaking English with heavy accents that can be hard to understand! The stars share a passionate love scene in the mountains outside an abandoned mine, now that would be one hearty good-lookin' baby.
June 5, 2014
I wanted to like this film, as I do both of the actors here, and I'm always against dictatorships and governmental brutality, but this film was just too slow and sometimes confusing. I'm sure the book was better.
May 2, 2012
A boring, never ending melodramatic lullaby!
March 12, 2012
This was an excellent movie and I can't believe it received such a low rating. It led me to do some research on this very dark and violent time in Chile. I would rate it a 5 star.
November 29, 2011
It would be popular if it was good.
September 22, 2011
I'm shocked this movie was given such low ratings. The performances were great, the settings and characters well rounded and believable. Banderas and Connelly are two of the most beautiful people in the movies today. The story line had me on the edge of my seat. Yes, it was told in a "laid back" sort of dreamy style, but it is a balance between a love story and political intrigue. Perhaps those that gave it low ratings were looking for a bit more blood and gore? More shoot -em up?
February 5, 2011
so desirble..:) hot couple
September 25, 2010
I loved this movie! Antonio was hot, great story line, credible characters!
WSWu95
August 11, 2009
Human but way too crude, dry & spoon-feeding hard.
shelly2friendly2000
July 20, 2008
Antonio Banderas & Jennifer Connelly really did a great performance.
ilovefilmslouise
August 17, 2007
good love the love scene very romantic
sodemurely
April 20, 2007
Much³ better than "The House of the Spirits"!
Gostei que a Jennifer Connelly fez sotaque, não conheço tantos atores americanos que se esforçam assim. Mesmo assim, a atuação dela ainda estava engatinhando..
kennmari
March 3, 2007
not enough stars to rate!!
taly018
August 4, 2006
Fascinating! The book is much better but the perfomances are great too.