Off the Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Off the Black Reviews

½ December 24, 2013
The leads are good, and Timothy Hutton is memorably off-putting as the pitcher's disengaged dad. But having created the aching umpire, Ponsoldt occupies him with some fairly shopworn situation.
August 29, 2013
ive become a big fan of james ponsoldt after seeing his latest 2 films smashed and the spectacular now, so i def wanted to check his other films out, while i didnt have the same emotional response to this one as i did the other 2, its still very solid, hes very good at directing relationships, and the one between nolte and morgan is great, neither go overboard or over dramamtic, it felt real and i enjoyed seeing them together, dewitt is good too, but i wouldve liked to know more about her or see more scenes with her, the girl that plays the sister is good too, while the story might not be the most original, its still a good watch
July 24, 2013
I sat through this dreck for almost an hour before I decided I just did not care. None of the characters are likable, there's nothing redeeming about the story, and it's in general just incredibly boring. I wish I could get that wasted hour back.
½ August 1, 2012
stupid. I hate nick nolte's stupid face and the story was boring and I hope this movie explodes into a million pieces. FUCK.
September 23, 2011
I don't think I will ever watch this.
½ September 27, 2008
good but like madonna in desperately seeking susan nolte isn't really acting but rather being himself.
½ May 22, 2011
Your mother left you with your sister and your father. You never heard from her anymore. Everybody is hurt. Nobody is willing to talk. And you get yourself in trouble with someone that is willing to have company and also to guide you. Two strangers that are building a friendship. Worth watching.
April 1, 2011
Great baseball motion picture that apparently no one has ever seen. Best performance of Nick Nolte's career!!!
LWOODS04
July 27, 2010
Cast: Nick Nolte, Trevor Morgan, Marlyne Afflack, Timothy Hutton, Rosemarie DeWitt, Noah Fleiss, Sally Kirkland

Director: James Ponsoldt

Summary: An unlikely bond forms between high school baseball pitcher Dave Tibbel (Trevor Morgan) and reclusive, ailing umpire Ray Cook (Nick Nolte) after Ray catches the youngster vandalizing his home. Ray offers to forgive Dave's debt if he'll pose as Ray's estranged son at an upcoming class reunion. Meanwhile, Dave contends with his withdrawn father (Timothy Hutton), who's been a wreck since his wife left him.

My Thoughts: "It's a sad film about two people who form a special bond with each other. They are both missing something in their lives. Ray, a relationship with his son, and Dave, a relationship with his father. So the pair have these father and son moments and then the relationship ends. Dave is saddened and asks the question "does everyone leave?", which really makes you feel bad for his character. It's a bit of a slow drama, but it develops well. Haven't seen Nick Nolte in a movie in quite a long time. I thought he was really great, and Trevor Morgan was great as well. Their relationship and characters were believable, and to some of us, relatable. Good movie all around."
September 22, 2009
Nick Nolte did a fantastic JOB here..and wow Trevor Morgan was so good. Touching story. I really enjoyed it.
½ December 10, 2008
Turned out to be a good movie.
September 18, 2008
Really strong performances by all involved, especially Nick Nolte and Trevor Morgan. But it is James Ponsoldt's meaty script that is really thrilling. The depth of feeling he gets from his actors is good too. I wish he had more than 23 days to shoot, since some of the photography is marginal, but some shots are just beautiful, especially the close-ups of the actors' faces.
½ April 20, 2008
Solid story, compelling presentation. However the acting was just dull, I thought Nolte would make a considerable difference, but he didn't add much.

Washington Post | Desson Thomson
Writer-director James Ponsoldt's film treats big subjects -- loneliness, coming-of-age and father-son relationships -- with such half-baked conviction, it's a wonder the screen doesn't redden with embarrassment. Which makes it all the more gratifying to watch Nolte pulverize the dramatic banality around him.
Harlequin68
½ January 4, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Off the Black" starts with Dave(Trevor Morgan) walking in the winning run in a high school baseball game umpired by Ray(Nick Nolte), a 57-year old who works at a junkyard and lives with his bulldog. That night, Dave and two of his friends vandalize and toiletpaper Ray's house but Ray catches Dave in the act while his two friends get away.(But Dave is a good kid. Trust me. He lives with his father(Timothy Hutton) and younger sister, Ashley(Sonia Feigelson).) Ray promises to let the prank go on the condition that Dave accompany him to his 40th high school reunion and pretend that he is his son.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"Off the Black" is an exploration of why umpires are some of the most vilified people around. To be serious, it is about how wrong it is to blame one's problems on other people(like blaming a lost game on an umpire's decision), instead of accepting responsibility for one's life. And we should all shut off the television, get out of the house more and live life to its fullest but I could think of plenty of better things to do than attend a reunion.(Both Ray and Dave's father sit around and consume an unholy amount of beer.) In the end, Ray does not realize what he is missing until he knows he is dying. But it is ironic that a movie about life is so lifeless and flat, despite another rich performance from Nick Nolte.[/font]
½ October 19, 2007
coming of age drama as a kid whos not sure what he wants in life befriends a basebal coach, in his league, hes down and out, and a piss head, so the 2 bond, oviously not a original film at all, seen many times before, but good performances especially nolte, as his grizzly old man routine, some good acting all round, a sunday afternoon tv movie at best, but thats not a bad thing
October 14, 2007
Couldn't wait until it was over!
August 26, 2007
Solid character study. Nolte shines.
July 29, 2007
The more independent movies I watch, the more I want to see. Nothing spectacular here, just a good story. Very likable characters. I just wish Rosemarie could have had more screen time.
July 12, 2007
Kind of an heart breaking movie. Not much story here, but what little it has it does it pretty well. Nolte is good.