Total Recall: Best Live-Action Disney Movies

Summary

We tend to think of Walt Disney Pictures as chiefly an animation studio -- and with good reason -- but the house Uncle Walt built has been churning out quality (and often highly profitable) live-action entertainment since the 1950s, something we were reminded of when we noticed that the latest chapter in the Witch Mountain franchise (and the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's latest bid for the undisputed heavyweight champion of kid-friendly cinema), Race to Witch Mountain, was landing in theaters this Friday. What better time, then, for your pals here at Rotten Tomatoes to devote a Total Recall list to the 10 best-reviewed live-action entries in the Disney canon? Back to Article

Comments

John V.

John Van Bumble

"Rocketeer" is awesome!

Mar 13 - 12:32 PM

Pierre Clouutier

Pierre Cloutier

I remember SOOOOO HATING with almost pathalogical intensity Polyanna. I now merely despise the movie. It is so cloying and sweet and mega saccarine it makes The Sound of Music seem like Ibsen. I wanted to tie down the main character and apply repeated blows with a sledge hammer until tender and all the saccarine driven out. In my opinion the critics who emphasize Haley Mills are absolutely right. She is the only reason to see this movie because it is so obvious how hard she is stuggling against both a script and direction that tried to get her to be mega whinny and sweet and yes saccarine. Upon repeated viewing I find I like Haley but I cannot stand what they tried so hard to make her do. I'm gratefully she at least partly undermined their efforts. Considering how talented Haley was this was child abuse.

Mar 13 - 07:48 PM

murray m.

murray mclachlan

what happened to "The horse without a head." Classic.

Mar 13 - 10:00 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

I Love Old Yeller as a kid and I still do. Say what you wll about some of these family films, but for me they remind of warm happy memories of my school days. Plus, you can't go wrong with MacMurray, Kirk or Mills headlining these classics!

P.S. And, indeed Yeller was the best dog-gone dog in the West :-) But my pooch is the best in the East ;-)

P.S.S. Also, in my opinion, the Pirate films were left off due to the fact it was not entire Disney venture.

Mar 14 - 02:08 AM

Peter F.

Peter Fitzgerald

I recently produced a TV documentary on the Disney live action classics for Turner Classic Movies, and disagree with the person or panel's criteria for what constitutes a "live action" film. If a film is more than 70% live action, it's live action with animated sequences but it's still considered "live action." It would be the equivalent of saying CG movies are animated. And where they came up with those lesser Disney titles (The Rookie??) is a testament to why RT is a second rate source for classic film research.

That said, there is no doubt that Mary Poppins is #1 - no question. The other top Disney movies are, in no particular order: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, Pollyanna, The Parent Trap, That Darn Cat, Old Yeller, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, The Absent Minded Professor, The Shaggy Dog and The Love Bug. All are available on DVD and can be relished with friends and family of all ages.

Shameless plug: watch your TV schedule for airings of "The Age of Believing: The Disney Live Action classic on TCM.

Mar 14 - 10:13 AM

Joshua G.

Joshua G

i think its funny that people whine about how this isnt the best movie ever list when clearly the article states its the best REVIEWED movie list. PLus, I am pretty sure no one cares what you think is great.

Mar 14 - 12:09 PM

Rash Hunt

Rash Hunt

I wouldn't watch any of these again.

Mar 14 - 04:29 PM

Jeremy I.

Jeremy Indiana

There are so many flaws in the tomatometer that you can't judge best movies just by the score, so I completely discredit these.

Mar 15 - 07:45 AM

Christopher K.

Christopher Kaufman

I hope I LIVE TO SEE the day the make Frank Miller's DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. Which was is master acheivement. I mean they've made everything else of his, Why not his greatest Graphic Novel?

Mar 16 - 10:27 AM

Siler_117

Justin Siler

The Rocketeer is the greatest. did love flight of the navigator too.

Mar 16 - 10:36 AM

ivor1

glen barrie

Johnny Trumain was a great historical period drama, as was Light in the Forest.

Mar 16 - 10:51 AM

Mike H.

Mike Holden

And where on everyone's list is "Treasure Island" with Robert Newton?

They way he played Long John Silver (and Blackbeard in another film) is the way everyone played pirates from there on out (until Depp's role of Captain Jack Sparrow).

Mar 16 - 03:20 PM

Mike H.

Mike Holden

And where on everyone's list is "Treasure Island" with Robert Newton?

Mar 16 - 03:21 PM

JJ A.

JJ Abeyta

Enchanted isn't on here cause it was a cross between live action and animation that's the same reason "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" isn't on this list.

But the way Heavyweights should get a little more respect, I love that movie, it was so funny and great.

Mar 16 - 08:32 PM

Jacob K.

Jacob Knecht

Umm, >_>, sorry to say, but I am pretty sure that Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not Disney.

Mar 16 - 09:11 PM

lynn m.

lynn mcvey

Yes Who Framed Roger Rabbit is indeed a Disney movie.

Nov 18 - 07:45 AM

Brett H.

Brett H

I was disappointed that The Journey of Natty Gann was left off the list. That movie made me want to run away to the Pacific NW and become a logger.

Mar 16 - 08:36 PM

Brett H.

Brett H

Mar 16 - 08:36 PM

Jacob K.

Jacob Knecht

Yeah, I can't believe that is not on there, it is one of the most brilliant movies of all time.

Mar 16 - 09:08 PM

Jacob K.

Jacob Knecht

Mar 16 - 09:09 PM

Jacob K.

Jacob Knecht

Pirates of the Caribbean is the best live action film series from Disney.

Mar 16 - 09:10 PM

Jacob K.

Jacob Knecht

Mar 16 - 09:11 PM

lynn m.

lynn mcvey

Yes Who Framed Roger Rabbit is indeed a Disney movie.

Nov 18 - 07:45 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup