Spielberg, Will Smith Teaming Up for Oldboy Remake

Summary

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are in early discussions to collaborate on a remake of Chan Wook-park's "Oldboy." Back to Article

Comments

Sulaco2k

Joseph McWilliams

Steven Spielberg's a great director but he doesn't have the balls to make Oldboy as disturbing as the original and Smith's involvement is laughable. I sense a watered down final product that caters to mainstream America. Yet another film that doesn't need to be remade b/c there's no way it can improve upon the original....F U Hollywood.

Nov 7 - 04:07 AM

Matanuki .

True. No remake of so great a film is necessary, or should, in theory, be attempted. But since 'Lady Vengeance' is getting one and Wook-park endorses it, then one for 'Old Boy' is a natural, expected progression. And while I'm inclined to agree with you on Spielberg, I give you 'Munich' as an example of how (hopefully) you might be wrong. Smith's involvement laughable? I won't even dignify that. Smith will kill in this role. Only thing I'm concerned about is the still valid question of Spielberg's balls, and whether the deconstructive themes on vengeance will translate well to an American audience that is relatively more conditioned by much shallower portrayals of vengeance. Not to mention more linear, and less challenging.

Nov 7 - 04:31 AM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

Dude, "Will Smith will kill in this role?" Huh? Kill what, modern cinema?

Nov 8 - 12:31 PM

Nov 7 - 04:31 AM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

Dude, "Will Smith will kill in this role?" Huh? Kill what, modern cinema?

Nov 8 - 12:31 PM

Sulaco2k

Joseph McWilliams

I'm sorry Mata, Smith is a decent enough actor but after all the popcorn movies he's done I can't take him very seriously at all especially when it comes to something as gritty as the portrayal of vengeance in Oldboy. There are much better actors out there more suited to this type of role, Oldboy is supposed to make you squirm, Smith has never managed to make me tremble. But then again, this whole project is pointless to me.

Nov 7 - 04:39 AM

Matanuki .

Smith is yet another actor that gets far too much undue hate on these boards, so I take it with a grain of salt. Everybody pisses on I Am Legend, for example, but fail miserably to acknowledge that though the story fell short, Smith's performance was superb. Then of course there's his remarkable performance in 'The Pursuit of Happyness' in recent enough memory that all the dishing on Smith should be lukewarm at this point or, at least, considered by most to be obsolete and/or in bad taste.

But I do agree with everyone's knee-jerk contempt for this particular remake. As if being concerned over what's gonna happen to 'Lady Vengeance' wasn't enough, now we have the damn near perfect 'OldBoy' in the mix. Next, for sure, it will be 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance' that greedy, idea-starved and creativity-challenged Hollywood will try to remake.

I really couldn't care less, and am not surprised. I would like, of course, for both these remakes to be good. That'll at least make a case of justification for all the money spent on them.

Nov 7 - 06:39 AM

TragicVillain

Alexander Walker

Matanuki, I was entirely onboard with your anti-anti-Will Smith sentiment until I remembered Hancock. Now had it just been I Am Legend I would have moved on (but as you said, even with film suckage he deserves credit for his part- well-done) but Hancock also exists. And the absolute wretchedness of that hurts.

But yeah, if measured against everything Will Smith should be in the positive - it's just the acidic taste of recent failures. My real qualm is with the choice of Spielberg.

Nov 7 - 08:52 AM

Matanuki .

lol. I can totally dig it, man. But hey, no actor, director, writer or artist of any kind in infallible. They're all gonna put out some stinkers. But yeah, Spielberg, and I hate to say it, is what concerns me the most about this project.

Nov 7 - 09:08 AM

oddjob323

kevin strawn

This is the most disappointing news I've heard in quite some time.

Nov 7 - 06:13 AM

Nick S.

Nick Simonds

As much of a fan as I am of Oldboy, and would like more people to know of it, they should be introduced to THE Oldboy and not a Hollywood remake. I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around Spielberg as a director. For God's sake, DO NOT remake this movie. F U Hollywood.

Nov 7 - 06:21 AM

proletariat13

Salvador Lievanos

I'm sorry but I think Spielberg is beginning to lose his credibility. All he makes now is sequels and remakes. I thought the new Indiana Jones movie was terrible. And War of the Worlds pretty bad too.

Spielberg is going to get everyone who has not seen Oldboy excited. Then when it finally comes out its going to be terrible because he is going to sooooooo make it PG-13. A great American filmmaker who could really jazz up Oldboy would be Quentin Tarantino or maybe Robert Rodriguez. They would stay true to the film but make a whole different vision at the same time.

Nov 7 - 06:36 AM

Matanuki .

That, proletariat, is a very, very, very good point.

Nov 7 - 06:40 AM

Brainstew

Doug Q

Proletariat13 are you seriously implying that Spielberg is afraid to make a film violent that calls for it? Hello, have you not seen Saving Private Ryan?

Nov 7 - 07:27 AM

Matanuki .

While Spielberg has done violence pretty well in the past, I have little to no faith in him truly representing the spirit of Oldboy's disturbing content. Saying more would spoil it for those who haven't seen it. But let's be honest with ourselves here. proleteriat is spot on in suggesting that Tarantino is the better director for this picture.

Nov 7 - 07:41 AM

ZiGyStRdUsT

Carlos Monino

no, not violence....but sex. It was an integral part of the first one.

Nov 7 - 12:49 PM

Nov 7 - 06:39 AM

TragicVillain

Alexander Walker

Nov 7 - 08:52 AM

Nov 7 - 09:08 AM

Matanuki .

That, proletariat, is a very, very, very good point.

Nov 7 - 06:40 AM

Nick S.

Nick Simonds

I remember hearing rumors about an Oldboy remake before, I believe someone mentioned Gary Oldman as taking on Oh Dae Su's character. Frankly, if they did do an Oldboy remake (which they shouldn't) I think Gary Oldman would probably be their best choice. He's just the right age, and can pull off an unbelievable sense of intensity and rage (i.e. State of Grace, The Professional)

Nov 7 - 07:03 AM

Brainstew

Doug Q

Nov 7 - 07:27 AM

Nov 7 - 07:41 AM

ZiGyStRdUsT

Carlos Monino

no, not violence....but sex. It was an integral part of the first one.

Nov 7 - 12:49 PM

Nov 7 - 07:41 AM

Zed'sDead

Ethan O'Brien

This is questionable because this is a very dark film, so I don't know if these two are willing to risk the responses to what the subject matter could bring to their reputations. For the most part, they are both known to make PG-13 films, so in order to place Oldboy in that genre, they would have to chop it up significantly, which I don't think is right.

And to those Will Smith critics out there: can you please name me an actor that has the physicality of an action star, the comedic timing, and the emotional range that Will Smith has? For him to have so many global box office hits under his belt along with 2 Oscar nominations, he's gotta be doing something right.

To those that are critical of Stephen Speilberg, the man can do little to no wrong to me. Yeah, the last Indiana Jones was kinda boring and pointless, but no one has made as many iconic films as that man has...and I don't think he's done.

Nov 7 - 07:55 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Guys a american remake of this is inevitable, we all saw this coming. If it has to happen then I would love to see Spielberg do it. I dont think Will SMith could pull it off though, I think he is really good actor but he has to be dark and brutal in this and he had a hard enough time shaking off the cool good guy look in HANCOCK.

Nov 7 - 08:08 AM

ironmanstarks

jeff johnson

Tarantino and Oldman would be the best team up, I agree. You know, usually I don't mind all this remake news, but this is one I really don't want to see made. The original was so good and disturbing that few Hollywood directors could pull it off.
I can almost guarantee it's going to turn out a dissapointment.
Will and Spielberg are all wrong if you ask me.

Nov 7 - 08:49 AM

TragicVillain

Alexander Walker

Nov 7 - 08:52 AM

Nov 7 - 09:08 AM

Nov 7 - 09:08 AM

RelaxAll

Miles Slothrop

Generally agreed upon facts: Will Smith is a talented actor and Spielberg is a great director. However, those two teaming up for a remake of "Oldboy" is highly unlikely to result in a film comparable in tone or plot.

That's not necessarily a bad thing , but it would have to be a drastic reworking, that would be a nearly complete 180-degree turn to the original, making it a barely recognizable "Remake."

Mainly, there is NO WAY that Spielberg would make a film where the final, "Aha!" involves the main character realizing he has f%$ked his own daughter. Never going to happen. That is one of the essential revelations that made Oldboy so disturbingly original and fascinating.

Nov 7 - 09:21 AM

knowingtoast85

brian Firenzi

I've even seen this movie and I forgot the ending. So was it spoiled for me just now? Not sure.

Oldboy was aight. Loved the hammer. I am far more interested in a really scuzzy, low-rent, high violence remake of "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance," with an all-chihuahua cast.

Nov 7 - 09:32 AM

Matanuki .

Goddamn, man. I even premised an earlier comment eluding to the ending with trying to be mindful of those who haven't seen it. Here's hoping your initial assumption was right, that no one who hasn't seen Oldboy happens upon this thread. Otherwise, the movie is now totally spoiled for them.

Nov 7 - 09:52 AM

Underglow

Aleesha Lambert

Actually everytime someone suggested I watch this- that has always been the first thing they said(the spoiler referenced to from RelaxAll). I only watched this recently so..what I am trying to say is that it is kind of becoming general knowledge. Pending on where you learn about the movie most tell you what the hell is going on, Vh1 gave away the ending, netflix reviews did, and etc.. I agree it is really rude to spoil a movie, but if someone who hasn't seen this happened upon this board-they would of probably found out from netflix or even wikipedia upon further research. Which sucks, but I tend to agree with RelaxAll when he says that the movie is more about the 'why' then the what.

Nov 7 - 10:06 AM

dougkip

Doug Ray

this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard, second to a live action DBZ. the only person i could see doing an effective remake is david lynch. i know its an odd choice, but i am SOOO ****ing sick of tarantino remaking stuff. sure, the man has style, but very few times have i felt any substance towards any of his movies. (jackie brown and KB vol 2 excluded)

back to my lynch thing, who else could make an effective mind **** and violent movie? the man's a genius...

Nov 7 - 09:24 AM

RelaxAll

Miles Slothrop

And I'm assuming everyone bothering to comment has seen the original, which I think is a fair assumption; but to those that happened into discussion and haven't seen it, I offer my sincere apology.

Nov 7 - 09:27 AM

knowingtoast85

brian Firenzi

Nov 7 - 09:32 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer