A Writer for Spielberg's Oldboy

Summary

DreamWorks' planned "Oldboy" remake appears to be gaining traction, with "I Am Legend" co-writer Mark Protosevich in early talks to write the screenplay. Back to Article

Comments

tfortier

Thierry Fortier

F^_^ that will be bad. The writer of Poseidon and The Cell... nice! Spielberg start to be like Lucas..! Will Smith is the last person I would choose for that thriller. It will be just another bubblegum popcorn flick. Anyway the first one was great and im not gonna watch any other version.

Nov 19 - 04:48 AM

tfortier

Thierry Fortier

and whats wrong today? no news of the new Watchmen trailer?! and the new Harry Potter one??????

Nov 19 - 04:49 AM

Hari Seldon

R Whitten

Spielberg and Smith together. Hmmm, and that's bad because?

Nov 19 - 05:07 AM

oddjob323

kevin strawn

*sigh* Can they at least change the movie's name?

Nov 19 - 05:27 AM

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

Ok, first of all, Spielberg and Smith could be good together. I friggin love Will Smith in pretty much everything (we're clearly ignoring Wild Wild West).

But has anyone actually seen Oldboy? There is no way on earth that an American audience can handle the following: incest, trickery to commit incest, and a guy cutting off his own tongue. It would never happen. Spielberg couldn't pull it off.

Here is the only thing that will be taken from the original movie: Guy in imprisoned for 15 years given no indication as to why, then all the sudden is released and set on a series of events to find out why he was imprisoned.

All the reasoning will be changed completely.

Nov 19 - 06:37 AM

thereign

lance berry

Arpeggio191, you have hit the nail right on the head! While I wouldn't say an American audience couldn't "handle" the material(given films like Se7en, which thank God had no typical Happy-Happy Hollywood Ending), I absolutely agree on your point that "all the reasoning will be changed completely". I'd tend to say the studio, Spielberg and especially Will Smith--who must be THE GOOD GUY WITH SOUND AND MORAL MOTIVATIONS in every movie he plays--couldn't handle it.

I'm not going to say Oldboy was the greatest film on Earth, since I guessed the incest thing about 20 minutes in(which made my friend showing it to me scream his brains out), but I respect what the original filmmakers accomplished, and I will say it was such a damn fine movie that every last shred of its integrity will be ruined with a remake.

F.u.ck remakes. I hate them so damn much(well, except for The Departed and The Fugitive).

Nov 19 - 06:44 AM

xenogears

J'rome Holmes II

You are a freakin genius for guessing that cause I had no clue it was coming till about the last 30 min and even then it was just a "wouldn't it be sick if..." moment for me.

This had great gritty action and deep deep tones. I don't know how they could pull it off correctly.

Side note: after seeing all the infernal affairs movies in order, I deeply feel like Departed (while great) is nowhere near a complete american representation.

Nov 19 - 09:17 PM

dougkip

Doug Ray

goddamn it. people should boycott this movie if it were made...

Nov 19 - 06:55 AM

jihad

jud winter

i will be boycottin this movie just like i boycotted the remake of the grudg,the eye and the ring.

i have not seen one americanised remake that is as good as the original,they all seem to lose everything that made the originals so interesting in replace of all that is cliche

Nov 19 - 12:52 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I'd say The Ring was one of the better ones, and, as already stated by a few of us, so was The Departed. The latter, in fact, was one of the rare cases when I actually liked the ending of the remake better. But of course you're right in general, the Americanized remakes are usually diluted as a matter of course.

Nov 19 - 01:06 PM

Nick S.

Nick Simonds

I honestly wish they'd just leave this movie alone. Stop with all the remakes and get off your asses and go be original!

Nov 19 - 06:55 AM

niall1

Niall Cavanagh

this is SO BAD..why cant they just let this be?? and with spielberg and smith its an AUTOMATIC pg-13..i hope people ACTUALLY boycott this movie like dougkip said..this is terrible news..

Nov 19 - 07:50 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I'm not gonna police the spoilers this time, cuz clearly we're all in the know. Which is cool, actually, to see so many true film buffs not confined to mainstream Hollywood. But speaking of mainstream, I have to agree with everyone in the very legitimate assumption that every shred of the original film's integrity will be squandered in a mainstream American remake. The sexual content is enough, considering how curiously infantile we still are in this country in regards to everything sexual. Beyond that, I fear, perhaps more importantly, that the central themes and deconstructive approach to the notion of vengeance (also explored in 'Sympathy' and 'Lady Vengeance', the bookends for this film) will get lost in the translation. Effectively retarding this new Oldboy into a more linear revenge take that's little on meat and lesser on aesthetic ambiguity.

reign, arpeggio, I'm with ya: fu.ck remakes!!! Unless, of course, when they're good -honoring the originals (Departed, The Fly) rather than spitting on them (Grudge, The Eye).

Nov 19 - 08:01 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

ARGH! News just keeps getting worse and worse about this... Terrible write, Posiedon is one movie that is so bad it is kind of good, The Cell sucked, and I am legend was just flat out a lacklaster raping of the book.

Nov 19 - 08:37 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

Oldboy is not Infernal Affairs. I don't see this movie being made for American audiences especially with Will Smith in the role. No way he watched Oldboy and was like "yeah I gotta make that movie". The vengeance trilogy are some of my favorite movies but most people I let watch them hate them because they're afraid of movies that actually make you squirm in your own skin at times. It's just too raw for popcorn Will Smith fans. Sympathy was def my favorite tho, I'll throw that in.

Nov 19 - 08:38 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Interestingly enough, Sympathy was my least favorite of the three. Oldboy is my favorite, which sucks for me since it's the one in for a raping.

Nov 19 - 09:01 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Nov 19 - 09:01 AM

dougkip

Doug Ray

sad to say, i haven't seen sympathy or lady yet...

Nov 19 - 09:19 AM

Underglow

Aleesha Lambert

Even if the guy is imprisoned for 15 years the audience will think: Well why didn't he just call the ACLU, OR he must of been a terrorist. Call the COPS!! OMG!
I just-ugg I am too frustrated to say anything. I think we all agree. Sympathy kicks *** though.

Nov 19 - 09:43 AM

jihad

jud winter

Nov 19 - 12:52 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Nov 19 - 01:06 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Nov 19 - 01:06 PM

collex

Alex D.B.

Never heard of this movie before (the original). Must not have come out here in Quebec, Canada. Sometimes movie don,t come out, especially if they aren't translated. (Not that I'm not able to speak english, but almost half the people here still see movie only in french. If you take a about 7 million people and divide it by too, it isn't really a big market for a studio?)

Hope the remake will be good. I will wait and try to get my hand on the remake, if possible.

Nov 19 - 02:06 PM

collex

Alex D.B.

I will wait and try to get my hand on the remake, if possible.

I meant on the original of course.;p

Nov 19 - 02:06 PM

guidomastroianni

Matthew D'Ambrosio

NOOOOOOOO!

Nov 19 - 03:25 PM

collex

Alex D.B.

????????? What are you trying to say, guido?

Nov 19 - 07:44 PM

guidomastroianni

Matthew D'Ambrosio

NOOOOOOOO!

Nov 19 - 03:25 PM

collex

Alex D.B.

????????? What are you trying to say, guido?

Nov 19 - 07:44 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast