What's wrong with this movie?

Call me stupid, idiotic, or ignorant, but what's the problem with the movie? I saw the trailer and I thought it looked pretty good. I'm not the political type though. The only problem I found was a couple of bad acting but that's it. The action looked pretty solid and the visual effects look fantastic! Is this another propaganda film? Probably one of the many reasons why people bash this film, like Zero Dark Thirty. Just answer me this question though: what is/do you find wrong with this movie?
Anthony Felix
03-12-2013 01:26 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Jason T.

Jason Turno

I think everyone wanted a political art film but instead they got a revenge fantasy flick, which in my opinion isn't a bad thing,but I guess that was a problem for everyone else.

Oct 1 - 11:35 AM

George Haber

George Haber

A great action movie in the Die Hard vein...and just as "realistic" (i.e., not at all). How the hell did the terrorists get all their weapons and all that knowledge about White House protocol? That "Hydra" gun looks like something that actually exists--a super machine gun that fires rocket-like shells (check out youtube).

Sep 18 - 02:37 AM

Jay Sanchez

Jay Sanchez

In my opinion Gerard butler was the only good thing about this movie. The first 45 minutes was not only very fake but it was hard to even watch cuz of how disturbing and disrespectful it was to Americans. The rest of the movie was entertaining but just to predictable. White house down wasn't very good but it was still a fun movie to watch

Sep 10 - 06:58 PM

cj t.

cj thomas

Nothing wrong with the movie, just a lot of morons on RT who have extremely bad taste. The movie was perfect. White House Down on the other hand, was the worst movie ive seen in 5 years

Aug 29 - 03:56 PM

Cary White

Cary White

whats wrong? well, to start with they actually went through with producing it.I guess this proves that no matter how many great actors and actresses you have, you cant make a bad movie good.

Aug 26 - 11:53 PM

Rafael Rivera-Perez

Rafael Rivera-Perez

1. The airplane scene came with no single explanation in how it got close to the White House Area, specially a modify airplane (how they got it into US area). The jets that came to intercept this big plane looks cheap cgi, I mean cheap.
2. Only the president as far I know and maybe some people close to him are the ones that get in the protected Bunker. Here everybody went into the bunker.
3. A huge group of terrorists almost like and army got into the grounds of the WHite House with any kind of weapons.
4. Where the F all these people that came on my point 3 went, only 15 or 20 you can see for most part of the movie. They enter inside the white house with a bunch of bazookas, I mean a bunch. LOL
5. The helicopter scene in the middle look very cheap
6. Morgan Freeman character was flat
7. The villain was terrible
8. People getting slash like pickles with total cruelty and no sense of drama.
9. Is fuc^&^ Anthoine Faqua a guy that made two of my favorite movies, KIng Arthur and Training Day.
10. The only good thing was Gerald and Aaron.

Aug 20 - 07:37 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

The visual effects were pretty bad....

Aug 14 - 01:37 AM

Kassie

Sumesh Kassie

The Third Code!?
The Pale and nearly dead president walking out.
The remaining Navy Seal chopper flying away after the Hydra was destroyed.
The numerous continuity errors.
The casualness of the restaurant patrons as the plane flies inches past their window.
The always full handgun.
:(

Jul 24 - 05:35 AM

Manik Mohammad

Manik Mohammad

things that weren't right:
1) the convoy accident in the beginning, the car's windscreen cracking even after being bulletproof tempered,
2) the Terrorists simply flying in to a no fly zone without a sweat, avoiding some hardcore US defense system,
3) agents getting chopped like onions, shit makes u feel like dammit our president is protected by some bunch of amateurs,
4) Butler admitting the terrorists are hardcore trained paramilitary commandos, but he gets to knuckle them out like mashed potatoes..
5) and not to forget the next generation weapon Hydra, what on earth was that amazing piece of shit..
...you could go on with endless faults in the movie..and ppl whoever compare this with die hard, pls don't disgrace the royalty of it..it's no where close to die hard.. just an action packed movie with a script seeming lake a Bollywood creation...

Jul 10 - 03:05 AM

Sarah Banks

Sarah Banks

This review really sums it up for me,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxcyB9bbPLo
A throwback to the 80's in my opinion

Apr 23 - 02:41 AM

Don Graham

Don Graham

Patriotic Americans will really like the movie. Liberals, hippies, and potheads won't. Nuf' said...

Apr 22 - 07:34 PM

Nick Braley

Nick Braley

I like it and I'm a liberal.

Aug 13 - 08:58 PM

Rafael Rivera-Perez

Rafael Rivera-Perez

I am patriotic, my wife is Air Force ACtive Duty and we normally like to have fun with Over the top movies but this one was cheap, very cheap, terrible with some good actors trying their best to keep it floating.

Aug 20 - 07:42 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

it was no where near the greatness of ZDT, but it was a bit enjoyable.

Apr 8 - 04:47 PM

Ashley S.

Ashley S.

I will preface this by saying, I am not the kind of person who enters a theater expecting every movie to be realistic. If that's what you're looking for, don't go; you will be disappointed. I thought it was great from beginning to end--action packed, there was rarely a dull moment. As far as everyone's political commentary goes, people need to get over themselves. This is a movie, people! I'm pretty darn positive it was not meant to be used as political propaganda, nor do I think it was racist. In fact, an American ex-secret service agent teamed with Kang to get them into the white house! I work in the aerospace industry, I cannot even begin to tell you how many times movies show the body of one plane and the interior of a completely different model. Most movies have plot holes and small errors! Movies are meant to entertain, go into it with that mindset and I think you'll have a great time!

Apr 8 - 08:35 AM

Rafael Rivera-Perez

Rafael Rivera-Perez

This movie looks like the Sci-Fi Channel did the CGI and it has more plot holes than holes in the moon.

Aug 20 - 07:44 PM

montezbush1

Montez Bush

Except ZDT is critically acclaimed because it was superbly made and acted...this movie is the opposite.

Mar 30 - 12:40 AM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

Not sure if it was the acting or the script making me cringe (Hello, Secretary Ruth). Not sure if acting could have fixed some of those scenes. I was disturbed that they were going to turn the world upside down to save the president. That's what shadow governments are for.

Wouldn't Kang's plan have wiped out the human race? Wondering how an unknown flunky got this multi-million dollar attack together.

It was refreshing to have somewhat "bad" guys for villains, not misunderstood victims we're expected to sympathize with. These racism accusations are silly. Villains still not as clear cut as Die Hard though; those villains are irredeemable trash.

The One Man Army is standard. That shouldn't surprise anyone. Has anyone seen a "plausible" movie like this? How much money did it make?

If you like this type of movie, I think this one gets by. A few people clapped. A little clunky. I was a bit disappointed. I would recommend Air Force One above this.

Mar 29 - 09:28 PM

Dee Dorazio

Dee Dorazio

It must be me..and my being a more logical person that i have problems with movies like this and recently 'the call' i did not have a problem with the theory of some country taking over the USA and white house..but the theory that this single security guy a one man demolition hero here to save the day.. all himself..no troops in mass storming the place ..it was quiet as a mouse outside of the whitehouse and tons of dead bodies outside of him. Then also what a wimp of a president, the USA is going down and we're on the edge of nuclear annilation and it only take a couple threats for the prez to ok them to cough up the codes to the nukes. In 911 we were ready to take a commerical airline down with much less country wide threat. But yeah if you going to a movie and just want to not think into it..and just enjoy the shoot 'em up and blasts and some thrills in the story line..its worth going..but heck what's with the cheap thrillers..i could think up a better story line than this..and if they were going in this direction.. i think Bruce Willis and a more ball-sy president would have made better cast.

Mar 28 - 04:40 PM

Dylan  J.

Dylan Jones

This was the Die Hard sequel that I wish they had made.

Mar 28 - 09:04 PM

lu wo

lu wo

Nothing was wrong with it.. it was a solid flick.

Mar 25 - 10:05 PM

Jack Gonyer

Jack Gonyer

The Diehard equal

Mar 25 - 06:33 PM

Jim H.

Jim H

THANK YOU! As I was leaving the theater, I was amazed at how many people were talking about how great this movie was and how Hollywood hasn't made this kind of movie in a long time. I, on the other hand, wasn't completely sure I hadn't walked into the wrong cinema and seen the latest Die Hard sequel (they were playing at the same complex at the same time)

Apr 26 - 05:37 PM

Dylan  J.

Dylan Jones

There is no problem with this movie. The only problem are the people on this site who just can't get over the fact that movies like this are made purely for entertainment, not to send some message to the world saying, "yeah, fuck with us, we dare you." No, it's just entertainment.

Mar 25 - 12:15 PM

Benjamin Meyer

Benjamin Meyer

Well said. I loved it! What a ride!

Mar 25 - 04:38 PM

Jim H.

Jim H

I wish Morgan Freeman's character had the cajones to say, "Go ahead and kill them all." THAT is a movie I would go to see and enjoy.

Apr 26 - 05:39 PM

DawnM Simons

DawnM Simons

The movie was a fun, wild ride that was highly entertaining. I saw it with my son and husband and we all left the theater with a smile. There was applause at the end. Laughs, gasps and exclamations of surprise during the film. Well worth the ticket.

Mar 24 - 08:32 AM

Anthony Estephane

Anthony Estephane

Here's my take on the problem:
The story feels like a cut-and-paste from Die-Hard.

Mar 19 - 10:45 AM

Tristin Breakfield

Tristin Breakfield

Well, I watch this man called Chris Stuckmann on Youtube. Like you had said, he says that if the movie had John McClane as the main character, it would be the perfect Die Hard 5. Don't get hesitant because of that feel.

Mar 21 - 04:41 PM

Benjamin Meyer

Benjamin Meyer

Exactly! I was thinking the same thing. Bruce should have said no to that piece of garbage that became the latest Die Hard and done this film instead.

Mar 25 - 04:40 PM

Jay Mckim

Jay Mckim

What's wrong with this film is like asking question at old 30's and 40's film where American Indian and Asian were portrayed in Hollywood film. Remember old Western film, American Indians were portrayed as an enemy attacking "peaceful" white race. Same lying and deception found here. Hollywood has not changed their chemistry of promoting racism, deception and propaganda. This film has a propaganda side, not just a film where North Korean happened to be an enemy. There unconvincing, unrealistic reason why Hollywood used North Korea as an enemy as how they used American Indian in old Western film. Both films shared same commonality and that is White race is peaceful race and non-white race is an aggressor enemy, and it basically bowl down to the Hollywood so
bias, racist (against Asian males), and prejudice organization.

Mar 15 - 11:41 PM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

Wasn't the U.S. the country that helped to liberate South Korea? I don't even live in the U.S. and I know that.

Mar 18 - 05:02 PM

Sean P.

Sean Patrick

News flash, Jay... North Korea actually HAS that terrorist attitude about them. There's not much propaganda needed. Heck, they just released a video of a smoldering America set to Lennon's "Imagine" to their nation as anti-America propaganda. They consistently threaten to bomb America, and they speak out their behinds about how America is the most evil place in the world. Korea has earned their place as terrorists. The North Korean government IS a terrorist regime. Stop trying to defend them. Be a freaking American. I refuse to bow to political correctness that, because the government is North Korean, I can't attack them. I don't care if they're Korean, Russian, Middle Eastern, Jewish, European, African, Hispanic, or Caucasian! They're anti-American and continue to launch verbal assaults against my home country. So, maybe it IS propaganda. Better for the bad guy to be from North Korea than somewhere distinctly America.

Mar 20 - 02:27 PM

All-Knowing Panda

The Panda

North Korea isn't a fantastic example of the point Jay was making, but it does apply since North Korea has no means of being capable of accomplishing any of the things they threaten to do. They are a whining child in the world who whines because they don't get what they want, but they can't be considered a terrorist regime because 1.They're considered an independent state, if they ever did anything the war would be similar to many non-terrorist wars (against weak nations) and be easy to deal with. 2.Even if they talk crap they've got no bite to their bark.

His point is say the Arabs are pretty much always portrayed as villainous, or a certain country, leading the world to see them that way. And they were trying to do the same to the Chinese in Red Dawn but realized it would offend to many Chinese (No-Dur) and although I am usually not one to join the "That's Offensive" campaign, being extremely prejudice against other race's from "Non-First World Countries" is not something that should be going on.

Mar 21 - 05:48 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Well said, Jay Mckim.

Mar 20 - 07:49 PM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

They pulled the punch. North Korea wasn't even responsible. We're allies with South Korea, Japan, etc. Their were problems on the U.S. side too. Very weak point.

Mar 29 - 09:02 PM

Frederick Lam

Frederick Lam

Zero Dark Thirty was going to have an accurate account of how our U.S. military did their surprise raid on Bin Laden's hideout. But the director and screen writer had to make changes due to under classified and National Security reasons. Olympus Has Fallen is too hilariously ridiculous (where Hollywood is going) for action films carbon copying to be like a video game. The original Die Hard was more relevant next to Under Siege and The Rock.

Mar 14 - 01:32 PM

Will Colley

Will Colley

EVERYTHING. Visuals are sub-video game, story is FULL of holes (okay it's an action movie but way to many scene make no sense at all), characters are very shallow (you never get invested in anyone nor car to), and dialogue is canned (as if someone Googled the top lines from all the biggest action movies and forced them into the script somehow). It's bad. Compared to the latest DieHard (which was the worst of the series)... it makes the Diehard a LOCK for the best picture Oscar.

Mar 13 - 10:15 PM

Cristina Reyes

Cristina Reyes

What movie did you see? Ok there were a couple of plot holes, but honestly... this movie was super fun. Reminded me of the good ol' days when movies were simple and fun. Sly Stallone could have been in this. In fact, it should have just been called a "Die Hard" reboot. It was fantastic. Best time I've had in a theater in a very, very long time.

Mar 13 - 11:14 PM

Will Colley

Will Colley

MUCH more than "a couple" plot holes, but I will say my favorite was the sealed bunker that no-one could in, and out of and yet everyone was going in and out of the entire movie. Then there is the most obvious of all the plot problems... assuming the insane unlikely happened and someone had taken over the WH... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING the follows would have ever, ever happened.

Mar 18 - 08:27 PM

All-Knowing Panda

The Panda

You should just remember though critics tend to try and review objectively how solid of a movie it was in terms of acting, directing, writing, etc.

Although some might give it a fresh due to it being a "fun movie" most will look past that and see it for what it was.

I hate "simple and fun" movies because they take no effort to make, however I will say in the rare case that you get an exceptional "Simple and fun" movie they are pretty good (although by then you can take the Simple out and just leave it at fun).

Mar 21 - 05:52 AM

'Michael Agee

'Michael Agee

The movie was in insult to the thinking person... the plot holes (and there are a freaking ark full) make it silly, and therefore make it hard to get into. I'm sure F-22 drivers just let a slow moving plane deploy its cannons and wait for it to shoot them down... and yea chaff stops radar guided SAMS... Listen you don't have to be a expert to know that the secret service is just a bunch of expensive security guards... but there are guys (seals) that enter hostile buildings for a living and kill bad guys... the plot was insulting...

Mar 30 - 04:15 PM

Kassie

Sumesh Kassie

I second that!
I watched this despite the poor ratings based on the cast and the budget thinking that maybe the critics were missing a deeper meaning. Boy was I wrong. My first mistake was ... thinking :)

Jul 24 - 05:54 AM

Davida Rochelle

Davida Rochelle

Remember when it was the renegade "Commies" that were the "bad guys" and then it was the outlaws from the Mid East? Now it's the Koreans, and South Koreans are not shown in a very positive light either.

Mar 13 - 08:20 PM

Jay Mckim

Jay Mckim

This film will be kind like ban in south Korean film market. if you know korean inside out, no South Korean like to see their enemy bro as an enemy. The last anti-North Korean film Red Dawn sequence did not play in South Korean market. Why Hollywood is suddenly using Koreans as enemy? I've big rebut for that that most don't know. Go watch Cloud Atlas at how South Korean was portrayed. It's a Hollywood sneaky trick to give a bad light at
rising South Korean film industry and K-Pop which means Hollywood does not like Asian media since Hollywood is basically
racist.

Mar 15 - 11:14 PM

Kyle Lillooet

Kyle Lillooet

"Why Hollywood is suddenly using Koreans as enemy?", could have something to do with the fact that North Korea vowed to launch a first-strike nuclear attack against the United States and threatening to engulf Washington in a "sea of fire." Could have something to do with it, or there just "unfairly" portraying the peaceful country of North Korea wrongly. It's just so Kim Jong Unbelievable.

Mar 17 - 09:37 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Nailed it! What you mean they aren't our enemy?

Mar 19 - 07:05 AM

All-Knowing Panda

The Panda

That's North Korea, when they portray South Koreans bad with the North Koreans that is incredibly racist and uncalled for. And plus North Korea has no bite to their bark, they are just angry right now that the UN tightened sanctions.

Mar 21 - 05:56 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Ultimately, the problems that I have with this movie are that the visuals appear to be below par and it seems too goofy to be headlined with a cast consisting of Freeman, Eckhart, and Butler.

The propaganda side of the argument was explained by Corey Morrell in the "Garbage" thread. I fully agree with what he was saying, however, not with this movie. I feel that this movie may unintentionally spark some blind partiotism with its premise, but I don't think it was designed to be any sort of propaganda. I feel that Zero Dark Thirty was one of the films that Corey was describing because it is absolutely 100% propaganda.

Mar 12 - 02:03 PM

Anthony Felix

Anthony Felix

Wow, I feel stupid! Have you seen Zero Dark Thirty? I want to see it but, I feel like I'm going against my republican side of the family. You know, since Zero Dark Thirty is propaganda. I don't see why people get caught up in propaganda though. Some people see these type of movies for entertainment. I know people would say propaganda would be brainwashing others, because it feeds us false information.

Mar 12 - 05:24 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

It's Republican propaganda, Felix. The entire story of bin Laden's assaniation is false.

Mar 14 - 07:31 AM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

I don't see how it is Republican propaganda when a Democratic President (Barack Obama) was the one who affirmed that Bin Laden was killed in May 2011.

Mar 18 - 04:59 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Perhaps not Republican propaganda but Obama is and always has been hated by Republicans. When bin Laden was "killed" two years ago, I believe that he fabricated the tale to aid his image for the next election in hopes that Republicans would vote in his favor and forget all the reasons why they hate him. Frighteningly enough, I've known many people who have done exactly that.

Mar 19 - 06:54 AM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

Well, Obama telling a lie is no surprise, so I can't say I disagree with you.

Mar 19 - 06:05 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile