RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Olympus Has Fallen and A Band Called Death

Summary

This week on home video, we've got a shootout at the White House and a couple of star-studded films -- one of which did okay, and the other... not so much. Then we've got a little-seen indie film, a historical drama, and a handful of reissues. Click through for the full list. Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Seconds" is one of the great unknown thrillers of the 60s. Like an extended episode of "Twilight Zone" directed by Frankenheimer ("Manchurian Candidate"). I'm thankful it's finally gotten the Criterion treatment, and that one is a solid purchase.

I'm also looking forward to "Death" because I've long had a copy of their Drag City reissue. It's a shame for all those skinheads who have to come to terms that their hardcore was also taken from black musicians.

I was hoping for more from "Emperor", and the Muppet extras may be interesting, but other than that, pass on the rest.

Aug 12 - 06:08 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

The Troggs, The Kinks, The Who, I could go on, but Death wasn't the only influence on the modern punk scene. I'm fine with naming them as one of the forerunner's, but the music was definitely not "taken" from any single race of individuals.

Aug 12 - 08:28 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

You forgot the Stooges, who are probably the biggest incluence on Death themselves. But you're missing the point, probably because you aren't familiar with the history. You should check out Lester Bangs' 1979 article "The White Noise Supremacists" which documented some of the racist factions of the punk scene who claimed that their music was purifying rock from its black influences (blues, R&B) and retreating from the "ni&&er disco s#it" of the 70s. These are the assholes I was referring to, not someone like The Clash, who championed reggae/ska, mbaqanga, and other ethnic styles. This was not the same kind of f'k-all punk style of the Hardcore scene (who hated the Who and the Kinks as much as they hated...well everything). I don't feel bad about rubbing their face in the fact that Death preceded the Sex Pistols by two years.

Aug 12 - 09:33 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Sweet, I'll check this one out if I can find it.

Aug 13 - 02:42 PM

Alissa Oakman

Alissa Oakman

before I looked at the paycheck ov $4727, I didnt believe that...my... best friend was actualey receiving money in there spare time on their laptop.. there aunts neighbour has been doing this for only eleven months and just repayed the loans on their cottage and bourt themselves a Jaguar XJ. go to..>>>

w瓀瓀.C璶璶񩧿.c璷璵

Aug 15 - 03:27 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Gonna get Olympus Has Fallen. I'm expecting it to be better than the latest Die Hard.

Aug 12 - 06:49 PM

John Q.

John Q

It certainly couldn't be worse. DH5 was absolute shit. Just a horrible, awful film.

Aug 14 - 06:42 AM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Rent Maisie and call it a week.

Aug 12 - 08:10 PM

Teddy K.

Ryan Gavetti

Here's my guide to watching Olympus Has Fallen:
Grab some friends
Grab some beers
Laugh.
Hell, I had a good time with it anyway.

Aug 12 - 08:17 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

That's actually true, it's one of those movies that's really excellent if you imagine every character as a Team America style puppet.

Aug 13 - 02:11 AM

Teddy K.

Ryan Gavetti

Oh yeah. When we watched it, we saw every character coming from one of those cheesy Die Hard clones of the early 90's. It was a blast.

Aug 13 - 07:57 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Aug 12 - 08:28 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Aug 12 - 09:33 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Aug 12 - 09:33 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

I need to finally watch "The Muppet Movie"; I've seen "Caper", "Take Manhattan", and the 2011 one, which I wasn't crazy about (liked the Muppets themselves, Jason Segel and Amy Adams both grated on me). "Olympus Has Fallen" might be worth seeing once at Redbox, other than that there's nothing here for me.

Aug 12 - 10:21 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

The first one was the best.

Aug 13 - 08:17 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Agreed!

Aug 14 - 02:33 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Aug 13 - 02:11 AM

Teddy K.

Ryan Gavetti

Aug 13 - 07:57 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

The first one was the best.

Aug 13 - 08:17 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Agreed!

Aug 14 - 02:33 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

The only reason why I want to watch both OLYMPUS and WHITE HOUSE DOWN is to compare them. They both look generic.

The good thing about farces about a bunch of people who don't know in what trouble the others are, is that they rarely bore. So I'll give BIG WEDDING a chance, but it does look unfunny.

The cool music video style is wasted on FLASHDANCE, a clich閐 story that barely moves forward. One of the most overrated films of the '80s.

Aug 13 - 12:43 PM

Chris Meade

Chris Meade

whatever you like.

Aug 14 - 08:02 PM

jackie c.

jackie collins

I thought Olympus has Fallen was good! but hey i love action films so i thought they did a great job with it

Aug 13 - 12:49 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Sweet, I'll check this one out if I can find it.

Aug 13 - 02:42 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I'm actually a huge fan of Gerard Butlers over the top Machismo Action hero. Its just so rare in this day and age to see a great action movie featuring a star that could actually kick someone's ass and be MAD AS F(#% while Killing the bad guy. Awesome stuff.

Aug 13 - 02:44 PM

Teddy K.

Ryan Gavetti

Aug 13 - 07:57 PM

John Q.

John Q

Aug 14 - 06:42 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Agreed!

Aug 14 - 02:33 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast