Om Shanti Om - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Om Shanti Om Reviews

March 19, 2009
Not as good as I'd expected from Farah Khan, having liked her debut film as a director "Main Hoon Na" very much. Yet, not an absolute crap.
March 5, 2008
Fantastic movie!! Great story plot. Shahrukh Khan gives a stellar performance in this movie about unrequited love and reincarnation. Amazing music, especially with a musical sequence that involves an array of fellow Bollywood actors and actresses! Great movie by Farah Khan. Absolutely love this movie!! Gotta see.
½ January 17, 2011
I love the music and dances they do

"Om Prakash is a junior artist and has dreams to become a hero overnight. Om's mother, Bela Makhija, inspires and encourages her son to become a success. He gets to meet Shanti Priya one day and finds out that she is very popular, after a few misunderstandings, Om finally falls in love with Shanti, but is unable to express it to her. He gets to attend her first film, Dreamy girl, by masquerading as the actor Manoj Kumar. He also saves her in a filming episode from an uncontrollable fire and both became good friends. Om asks her out on a date and she agrees. Om is ecstatic and plans a wonderful evening for her - using props and a film set and several backgrounds in a studio to woo her. And she finally attends but under the pretext of a friend. The following day, Om tries to talk to Shanti on the sets of a film but she looks very preoccupied. He follows her into a make up room,and overhears an argument with top producer Mukesh Mehra. He learns that she is married to him and is expecting his child. Om is shocked, and ends up leaving there, heartbroken. One night, Om notices Mukesh escorting Shanti to the set. He sees it catch fire and realizes that Shanti is trapped inside. Om trys to save Shanti, but is trapped and severely beaten by Mukesh's guard"
October 29, 2009
I loved this movie (even though as one reviewer mentions, some of the in-joke references to earlier Bollywood films may have gone over my head) because there was still more than enough fun to be had in this 2 hour and 42 minute film. It manages to give us a love story filled with love, laughter, karmic revenge, and some really wonderful, eye-popping song and dance numbers with tunes so catchy that I'll probably be singing them for the next two weeks. Shahrukh Khan plays a love struck bit player named Om in the Bollywood of the 70s who's desperately in love with gorgeous megastar Shanti who alas is pregnant by her married director. When faced with leaving his wife and marrying her as he has promised, he does what most men would do--traps her in one the sets for the film they are working on and sets it ablaze. Om is killed as a result of trying to rescue Shanti but is reincarnated almost immediately as the Person he always dreamed of being. And that's just the first half of the movie! If you've never seen a Bollywood film this might be a good place to start.
September 29, 2009
If you give in to Bollywood, it will fly you away. And gracious: Deepika Padukone might be the most beautiful lead I've ever seen!
½ July 12, 2009
reminded me a little of Cinema Paradiso with a bit of an MTV flair. in some ways, though, I thought this film had a bit of an identity crisis...musical? romantic comedy? drama? action flick? bits and pieces of everything. still, the music was very catchy and the acting was pretty good, even if a bit campy. Deepika Padukone is just drop-dead gorgeous--definitely a highlight of the film for me. I also really enjoyed seeing all the crew come down the red carpet during the credits--great idea. my first real exposure to Bollywood, and I wasn't disappointed--a uniquely entertaining experience.
January 23, 2008
LOVE IT. its so interesting and sad and romantic all at the same time. theres no way you cant be hooked into the plot.
December 29, 2008
i gave this movie cuz it's so guud plus the songs this movie it's just so sad i love sharukh khan i just love the whole recarnation part and just basically plus deeika is beautiful wow what a grreat movie it was
August 17, 2008
A beautiful film with a great deal of wonderful music. Many of these songs just won't stop running through my mind. Does a good sendup of Bollywood and still has a great plot.
August 16, 2008
one of the awesomest movies ever!!!!!!!! and that quote "picture abhi katham nahi hui mere dost" is like everywhere
½ January 16, 2008
This was really cool! I love the whole reincarnation idea. It was so loooong and it got tiring reading the subtitles, but that's okay. One of my favorite things about Bollywood movies is how they use the colors. Everything's so bright!=D I wish everyone did that.
½ December 27, 2007
the movie was good but the fact that om couldnt save shanti was sad still the songs were nice and i like the change in the movie 1970's-2007 SRK acted really all that in the second half i thought that was funny. Last.......THE Abs. he showed off so much. but cant blame him also the ending i wanted to know if he was going to be with sandy that was disappointing.
yet liked the movie!!
December 3, 2007
its awsome. the actress looks like different actresses in different scenes. the only problem is that at the end it gets kind of freaky
November 18, 2007
Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!! OMg!!!! i love Sharukh khan!! i love this movie!!! omgg!!!!! ahhhh!!!!! HE'S SO HOT!! AND HE DID REALLY GOOD ACTING!!! OMG IM IN LOVEEE WITH THIS MOVIE AND SHARUKH KHAN!!! HE HAD GOOD ABS!!!
January 31, 2015
I loved this movie. Very entertaining, and it was a treat for Bollywood fans to see all the stars at the end.
May 30, 2014
Best Indian movie of all generations.
February 3, 2014
just amazing! How do they do that? The fan operators are so expert Deepika never gets her beautiful hair stuck in her bubble gum!
October 9, 2013
my favorite movie of shah ruck khan :)
July 1, 2013
brillant movie must see
June 29, 2013
Om Shanti Om might have a familiar reincarnation storyline, but the treatment and the mystic elements are just great. Om Shanti Om has a lot of scenes where many of the leading actors in Bollywood including the lead actor of this film spoofing their own hit movies, criticizing the super stardom and many such malpractices. This film is predictable, but the Farah Khan touch is there in the film which gives this ample entertainment value.