67% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

On the Road Reviews

July 16, 2014
Like any road trip; can we just get to our destination, already?!
tpolslover
July 6, 2014
At first you feel as if the story will just wander aimlessly as the protagonists do. Then it leaves you with a kick to the gut as you learn the fate of one character in particular. A character not unlike someone you may have known, a character not unlike, perhaps, yourself.
July 6, 2014
Not sure why they decided to fuck off so much of Dean's story (relative to how it was in the book). I guess that's just to be expected of film adaptations. I could have done with out watching this, and only knowing Kerouac's original work.
Angelo Dean
July 6, 2014
Going to have to agree with the critics here. I thought this movie is going to be great but went downhill the first 30 minutes
2.5 Stars
June 20, 2014
Too dull and Walter Salles made a bad decision in casting Kristen Stewart in his film.
April 16, 2012
this did not translate well into film. i stopped watching halfway through.
March 7, 2013
Incredibly bad. I'm not sure how anyone can really adapt On The Road into a movie without it lacking in some way. I really did not like the portrayal of the characters, again i'm trying to say to myself "don't compare it to the book" but i can't help myself. Whoever thought Sam Riley was any good as Jack Kerouac? Sometimes there are faces that just call to be at the end of a fist. The book is such an all over the place mess (that i very much enjoyed) that any movie would feel exactly the same, which is not interesting to watch nor does it have the same value and experience one gets when reading. So...no thanks.
May 23, 2014
Read the book a long time ago but couldnt really make sense of the movie. A shame really coz the book is excellent.
Sam M.
May 5, 2014
Visually, it's a good movie. The actors do a fine job at portraying the characters. It's a good film to look at, but overall, something is lacking. It feels almost as if no moral is intended with this movie and it's all so dull.
muffin0681
May 26, 2013
I own this on DVD and Blu-Ray.
May 3, 2014
I like this film.There is a plaintive mood.
March 16, 2013
I really enjoyed this novel because of the power and emotions the writer and his friends went through during the late 1940's to early 1950's. Very anger that this film didn't focus on the emotions and thought processing of the main Character Sal, let alone skip the chapters of Finding Deans fathers and exploring the Mexican culture of the 1950's. As well the inspiration, and energy, that was given to the reader after finishing Jack's book. Overall; Amazing novel, very disappointing film. 1.5/5
March 9, 2014
omg it was so good i loved it :)
February 15, 2014
Boring, tiring, not interesting.
February 13, 2014
Despite the obvious enthusiasm of the screenwriter, the director, and the actors for Kerouac's novel, they get it wrong. Probably nobody can get it right, since the power is in the words, not the story. I say SKIP IT!!!
August 10, 2013
Not an amazing adaptation, this is still an entertaining and intriguing adaptation of Kerouac's novel. Beautifully filmed and featuring some great moments, the film waters down the poetic vigor of the novel at times, yet it still manages to keep us engaged. Viggo Mortensen, in particular, is amazing during the Burroughs scenes, which definitely could have been more prolonged. The female characters seem two-dimensional, but then they seem that way in the novel too. A flawed film of a flawed novel, On the Road still manages to be convey some of the qualities that make the novel so iconic and influential.
January 17, 2014
This is a real mess of a movie. A visually stunning mess, but a mess none the less. There's too much and not enough in this movie at the same time. There isn't really enough meat to these characters (with the exception of Dean) to make me really care about the experiences they're going through. In a way I felt like Sal, always observing the absurdity, but never really indulging in it. That being said, there were so many scenes that involved the use of marijuana or other substances that it just became almost annoying how often it was brought up. With all those negatives, I guess some positives should be mentioned as well. The acting here is very good, especially Garrett Hedlund who really adds the necessary charisma and charm that makes Dean such an enthralling character. It was easy to see why so many people became enamoured with him and wanted to go wherever he went. Also, as I stated before, the film is a visual marvel. I do recommend seeing this movie for the visuals and Hedlund's performance due to how great they are, but don't expect to pull much else out of the film that's worth keeping.
January 19, 2014
This is a bad movie that nonetheless gets something very right: Hedlund's central performance as the enigmatic, charismatic man who can't stay put and ultimately gets left behind.
January 7, 2014
Yes...you get to see Kristen Stewart's boobs several times in this movie. No...the movie is not worth watching just to see them! This is very boring and no one is really likeable in this movie. Not sure if it had a point, I stopped caring after the first 15 minutes!