One Day (2011)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: Despite some fresh narrative twists, One Day lacks the emotion, depth, or insight of its bestselling source material.

Movie Info

After one day together - July 15th, 1988, their college graduation - Emma Morley (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter Mayhew (Jim Sturgess) begin a friendship that will last a lifetime. She is a working-class girl of principle and ambition who dreams of making the world a better place. He is a wealthy charmer who dreams that the world will be his playground. For the next two decades, key moments of their relationship are experienced over several July 15ths in their lives. Together and apart, we see Dex … More

Rating: PG-13 (for sexual content, partial nudity, language, some violence and substance abuse)
Genre: Drama, Romance, Comedy

as Murray Cope

as Jean-Pierre

as Jasmine (2005)

as Nightclub Girl

as Jasmine (2007 and 20...

as Waitress
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for One Day

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for One Day

All Critics (140) | Top Critics (39)

For everyone who's grown tired of the summer onslaught of superheroes, save-the-world plots and explosions, Hollywood finally offers some decent counter-programming in the form of the brainy romance One Day.

Full Review… | February 28, 2013
We Got This Covered

Ends better than it begins -- or middles.

Full Review… | January 14, 2013
Tribune News Service

I couldn't help but feel the film was lent shades of colour by the book; colour that simply doesn't exist on the screen. I projected 435 pages of joy onto a film that probably didn't deserve it.

Full Review… | September 28, 2012
TheShiznit.co.uk

An average romantic dramedy, 'One Day' tips its hand so early in the game that you won't be a bit surprised by anything that ensues.

Full Review… | December 22, 2011
KWQC-TV (Iowa)

...you can't help feeling this dreary tale could have done with a bit of fancy editing or narrative reconstruction.

Full Review… | December 7, 2011
Flicks.co.nz

The most entertaining and engrossing romantic film to hit theaters in ages...

Full Review… | December 1, 2011
Reel Film Reviews

Audience Reviews for One Day

½

A touching story with a beautiful score, impeccable makeup and captivating characters that really grow on us as we catch up with them once in a year for such a long period of time - although it is just a pity that in the end it reuses a typical melodramatic cliché of romances.

blacksheepboy
Carlos Magalhães

The story of one significant day in the lives of two friends over many years is told in such quick flashes that anything resembling emotional attachment to its characters dissipates with the fog of these lazy transitions. These two numbskulls meet at their college graduation and proceed to remain friends for a significant number of years. Looking at the same day every day for twenty years the film tries to delve into the neurosis of the two and show that they are meant to be together. Neither of these characters is very likable, interesting, or entertaining, because both of them are selfish, both are juvenile in the way they show their emotions, and both never seem to learn from their various mistakes. Emma (Hathaway) ruins her life, falls for the wrong man and settles, and loses any respect for her former friend. In confluence Dexter (Sturgess) sells out, becomes a drug addict, and loses any self-respect. Some things change over the years, but really it's about long term change over a period of time. These drawn out storylines last years and years and don't entertain, mostly because their sorrows revolve around their own morbid senses of self-worth. Over the years they may grow closer together, but there's no buildup to their inevitable relationship. It's one scene, that only shows how shallow and beaten down Emma is to finally fall for Dexter's shtick. The rest of the movie results in a bunch of jumbled, half-thought out ideas that result in a lackluster ending. There's just no heart to this film, no chemistry between the two leads, and no decent ending to tie it together, just false sentimentalities to make up for a film that steers nowhere. Anyone would agree there's really nothing to love in this love story.

FrizzDrop
Spencer S.

½

While there's certainly innovation here and I generally enjoy romantic films (and I certainly enjoyed this one), I have to admit that there's something lacking in the way it ended. The actors did as best they could with the material but maybe it's just that mushy-cushy feeling and predictability you always get with these films that sometimes just doesn't cut it for me.

Raajay
Wildaly M

One Day Quotes

– Submitted by Lili Y (3 years ago)
– Submitted by Charisse M (3 years ago)
– Submitted by Oshin B (3 years ago)
– Submitted by Kathleen E (3 years ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss One Day on our Movie forum!