One for the Money Reviews

½ February 12, 2012
0 stars. I'm not even sure what I watched. Comedic bounty hunter stories always require too much suspension of disbelief for me. Apparently, the Stephanie Plum series is a fun collection of books, and the movie stays pretty faithful. Despite having not read the books, I have to wonder whether brunette Katherine Heigl was the best choice for the sassy Jersey girl. I love her in 27 Dresses, but the darker hair color seems to sap her natural exuberance. Her Jersey accent is also godawful. Not even sterling-coiffed Debbie Reynolds could save this movie from vapidity.
Nate Z.
½ July 28, 2012
I think it's about time we all conduct an intervention for actress Katherine Heigl, whatever it takes to stop her from starring, and producing, such middling junk like One for the Money. Heigl plays a novice bounty hunter, a Jersey girl on hard times who is tracking down her ex-boyfriend for a big payday. Yes, it's essentially a gender reversal of the loathsome Jennifer Anniston movie, The Bounty Hunter, but at least this movie doesn't foster a forced romance. I give the movie some credit for presenting two potential love interests for Heigl and by film's end she's still on her own. Bravo. The rest of the movie, however, is all strictly by the book, including the colorful characters that Heigl seems to collect. One for the Money isn't particularly funny or particularly good. It also isn't particularly offensive; it's just the standard pap you expect from Heigl at this point. Here's a confession: I really, truly enjoy Heigl as an actress. She's terrific at comedy and has star-power charisma, and even in junk she's still effortlessly enjoyable to watch. This woman has talent, she just doesn't have taste when it comes to picking movie roles. Or maybe she's content with churning out a mediocre rom-com every year or so for her fans. I just wish Heigl would gain some confidence and bounce from the ghetto of rom-coms, or at least poorly written, blandly formulaic ones. She's taken the rom-com crown that once belonged to Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, and Sandra Bullock, but look to them as example. You will have to adapt or die, because eventually Hollywood will find the next Katherine Heigl and supplant the old one.

Nate's Grade: C
½ October 15, 2011
Kind of liked it, even though it's not a great movie. I thought they kept it fairly close to the book (though was relieved they kept Stephanie out of the oversized t shirts and Lycra pants!). The Ramirez attack parts were played down and not as scary as in the book, actually bits of it missing.
I thought Katherine Heigl did a good job as Stephanie. Having read the book, I think she got her across well.
I think this movie didn't do so well, so doubt there will be more, though it has renewed my interest in reading more of the series. The book has good characters, as does the movie, which is why I think the flat story works okay.
Not a bad adaptation.
½ January 12, 2011
Cast: Katherine Heigl, Jason O'Mara, Daniel Sunjata, John Leguizamo, Sherri Shepherd, Debbie Reynolds, Debra Monk, Nate Mooney, Patrick Fischler, Ana Reeder

Director: Julie Anne Robinson

Summary: Janet Evanovich's spunky heroine, Stephanie Plum, is adrift after getting a divorce and losing her job. To make ends meet, she becomes a bounty hunter, with her first big case revolving around a high school boyfriend who may be falsely accused.

My Thoughts: "An OK movie. I thought it had some good moments, but not enough. Funny in some spots and cheesy in others. But I think Katherine Heigl did the character Stephanie Plum justice. But the problem with the movie is that it dragged in more ways then one. Some of the characters were annoying and it got to be a bit slow. So not great but not awful either. Kat and Jason O'Mara had great chemistry on screen so that made it fun. But nothing too great to get me to come back and watch this a second time around."
½ May 25, 2012
In the world of romantic comedies there are good,bad,and ugly. Sure some can be great,but overall if a romantic comedy is good,it's usually just that, good. "One for the Money" falls hard in the ugly category. Stephanie Plum(Kathriene Heigl) is out of a job and in need of money,so she takes a job working as a bounty hunter. Her first case is finding and bring in her ex(joe, Jason O' Mara),who happens to be a cop accused of murder. Along the way, he tries to prove his innocence,she tries to collect her bount, and all sorts of wacky hijinks occur. First, Heigl is horrible in this. Her accent changes, her character is both stupid and boring, and she is much better looking as a blonde. Joe, her male counterpart is boring, a bad actor, and he's too much of a tool to like. The action is poorly directed,and really I can't think of anything good to say about this. My wife fell asleep,and I doubt she will lose any sleep if she doesn't finish this. Do yourself a favor and skip this crap, you can do much better for your money.
½ November 9, 2011
She's looking for a few not-so-good men.

Not so great. The movie is kinda boring and the plot really is nothing to die for. This is not Katherine Heigl best film and I think her status as an actress is going downhill and i'm not talking about her beauty.

Jersey girl Stephanie Plum after losing her job, is broke. Needing a job she is told that her cousin, a bail bondsman, needs someone to help out in the office. But all he has are skip tracers. She learns that Joe Morelli, a guy she knew intimately years ago, is one of them. She eventually finds him but wasn't really prepared so he gets away. Another bounty hunter, Ranger tries to teach her. Eventually she finds him again but he claims he is innocent of the crime he is accused of and he is trying to prove his innocence. Eventually Stephanie thinks he's telling the truth so she stakes out the person who can help him but she only finds herself in trouble and Morelli saves her. She tries to find someone who can prove his innocence but problem is shortly after meeting with them they're killed or attacked.
Bathsheba Monk
February 9, 2012
This is an entertaining movie and Heigel is perfect as Stephanie Plum. Okay, official critics, it's not Citizen Kane, but it isn't pretending to be...can't you see the difference between art and entertainment? Nice to see a movie where the women is the hero!
January 29, 2012
Unexceptional but enjoyable comedy drama is missing much of a punch but moves along briskly. Heigl is adequate in the lead but lacks a certain grittiness that the part calls for. Debbie Reynolds is sassy as the grandmother
½ August 15, 2012
One for the Money is a mediocre romantic comedy that relies too much on the same tired old tropes. The story follows Stephanie Plum, who moves back to her hometown after losing her job and tries her hand at being a bail bondsman in order to get back on her feet. Katherine Heigl, Jason O'Mara, and John Leguizamo lead the cast, but their performances are pretty stereotypical. Everything is rather formulaic and predictable for the most part, making for a fairly dull and run-of-the-mill film. There are some entertaining bits here and there, but One for the Money plays it safe and sticks with the typical rom-com shtick.
January 31, 2012
Divorced and just out of work, Stephanie Plum(Katherine Heigl) is in desperate need for cash after the repossession of her red sports car. Luckily, her cousin Vinnie(Patrick Fischler) has an opening at his business. Granted, it is bail bonds, but after three years selling lingerie at a department store, Stephanie feels more than qualified in dealing with low lifes and confident she can bring in Joe Morelli(Jason O'Mara, for once not playing a time traveling detective) who she "gave her cannoli to"(never heard that one before) and later tried to run over with her car. However, it does not go as well as she thought. So, she puts on a more sensible pair of shoes and enlists for further training with Ranger(Daniel Sunjata), a fellow bounty hunter.

"One for the Money" is not quite the end of civilization you may have heard it was. Admittedly, it is uneven, staying on the silly and broad end of the spectrum, but not so much as to end up as caricature. While Katherine Heigl is no Rosalind Russell, she is still an appealing presence, heading a likable cast that has fun with the material. The movie is not entirely mindless either as it is about a woman trying to prove herself by trying to separate herself from her past, operating on familiar turf, while learning from her mistakes along the way.(Plus, Stephanie wears a Rangers shirt.) See, not everybody gets to be Mallory Kane right off the bat.
October 3, 2014
I wasn't expecting much from this film, and I was right. The film kind of reminded me of movies like "The Bounty Hunter," "Catch Me If You Can," "Domino," and "Midnight Run." Those films were better than this one. This one needed a rewrite. They have a good idea for a film, but didn't execute it correctly. The tone of the film is off.

Another big problem is that some cast members seem like they were miscast. Katherine Heigl is definitely miscast here. She has no on screen chemistry with Jason O'Mara. I think Reese Witherspoon would have done a better job in that role. I also think O'Mara was miscast. I think Bradley Cooper would have done a better job in that role. On a positive, there is some great supporting work here from Daniel Sunjata, John Leguizamo, Debbie Reynolds, and Fisher Stevens.
½ June 14, 2012
Really good narration from Stephanie Plum (Katherine Heigl) on her aggravation and tribulations as a New Jersey bounty hunter. Being down and out on her luck financially...her relative reluctantly gives her an opportunity to capture one of his biggest jobs....former police officer Joe Morelli (Jason O'Mara). It's hard enough that as a woman she has to go up against this guy to bring him to justice...but as she gets more and more involved Along with some help from Ranger (Daniel Sunjata)...bodies pile up of everyone she talks to. So with the limited assistance of the local police department she finds that there is more to Joe's case than what is already given to her as an assignment! Please see isn't to bad to see..along with lots of surprises.
March 23, 2012
This latest romantic comedy (which is more of a thriller that comedy) based on the novel of the same name by Janet Evanovich could be one of the worst adaptations of a successful book. Directed by Julie Anne Robinson, the screenplay was terribly written by Liz Brixius, Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith. Doesn't matter how much I enjoy watching Katherine Heigl it is something I would not recommend. I saw some of the ratings going up to 90% from the fellow RT reviewers and I am really surprised. All I saw is the main character wandering from one lead and suspect to the next, each one duller than the last. If you want that "déjà vu" feel, movie is full with cliché settings (a boxing gym, an Italian pork store) and cliché lines (You're out of your league!,''How's that workin' for ya?'').

In the movie, Stephanie Plum (Katherine Heigl) is out of work and out of cash and in desperation turns to her disreputable cousin Vinnie, of Vinnie's Bail Bonds, for work. Of course, like in a movie, despite having no equipment, training or particular skill she becomes a bail enforcement agent, chasing after Vinnie's highest stakes bail jumper: Joe Morelli, a former vice cop who is wanted for murder, who also happened to seduce and dump Stephanie back in high school. Now, I can see the appeal of the story for the audience which left the high school and did most of the waitressing jobs for the last 5-6 years without having a boyfriend and blaming the high-school sweetheart for ruining the "good life", but if you're not in that category, please, skip this one!

One For the Money was the first novel by Janet Evanovich featuring the bounty hunter Stephanie Plum and it is a long-time best-seller, appearing for 75 consecutive weeks on the USA Today list of 150 best-selling novels, peaking at number 59... and this movie is nothing like it! Katherine Heigl is so talented and I am saddened that she decided to waste that huge potential on a movie which will have you groaning between yawns.
½ February 10, 2012
One step removed from being a Lifetime TV Movie starring Angie Harmon and Meredith Baxter, this uneven Money won't live to see Two for the Show. Oh, it's not that the story, based on Janet Evanovich's novel, isn't worthy of an on-screen dust-up. The dialogue sounds like it was probably snappy...on paper, that is. On film, it could've used a vervy pop culture-infused touch-up a la Quentin Tarantino's work on Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch, which became the beyond excellent Jackie Brown. Instead, poor casting and a screenplay that's sadly P to the G despite clocking a '13' makes for One unfortunate bounty.

In her latest, this PG-13-rated adventure, a down-on-her-luck Jersey girl named Stephanie Plum (Heigl) convinces her sleazy bail bondsman cousin to give her a job as a bounty hunter, which leads her into an investigation involving a vice cop wanted for murder (O'Hara)-an ex who broke her heart years before.

Katherine Heigl is good at some's just that this reviewer hasn't seen them yet. In her defense, the lines, laughs, and lucre are too heavy-handed even for Meryl Streep to bail the material out. Having Irishman O'Mara (great on ABC's cancelled oddity Life on Mars, here...not so much) play wronged Italian cop Morelli doesn't help matters much. Of course, when an actor makes a dated reference by calling his sparring partner "cupcake," it's hardly his fault alone. Director Julie Anne Robinson and her 3 (count them--3!) screenwriters are unable to re-capture the magic that has sustained the popularity of Evanovich's Plum for 18 novels.

Bottom line: Dog of a bounty hunter.
May 17, 2012
Basically this year's The Bounty Hunter, besides a sexy and curvy Katherine Heigl, this comedy has nothing going for it, lacking an interesting storyline, any real action, and anyone worth watching besides the leading lady. Playing its cards right with sex appeal earns this film the very little respect I end up having for it.
½ June 13, 2015
An utterly pathetic attempt at making something remotely funny. One for the money is a disastrous fiasco about a broke woman's quest to find a missing person for $50,000, which is something no one cared and should be ignored forever.
½ September 2, 2012
It's no classic, but it's certainly not the cluster-bomb critics have been making it out to be. Harmless fun.
December 9, 2010
Other than a few good moments this was really done all wrong. The cast was fairly spot on but the script was terrible.
½ January 27, 2012
'One for the Money' (2012) is just another typical misadventures romantic 'comedy' with Katharine Heigl making weird faces at the camera. Though I did chuckle at some parts, it still lives up to a free HBO movie.