One Night In Turin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Night In Turin Reviews

December 6, 2012
I was hoping for something a bit better. The story of how England raced to the semi-finals in the 1990 World Cup was interesting but the documentary was muddled with different narratives and the interwoven cuts from archive footage to fake footage was rather annoying. Gary Oldman's narration was passionate albeit dull. For a soccer (football) fan it will be interesting. For anyone else it is skip-able.
½ January 18, 2014
Still sad 24 years later.
½ June 17, 2013
If you like football and especially English football than you will like this doc.
March 30, 2013
Gary Oldman's narration makes this enjoyable. Great documentary that helps one understand some of the history of English soccer and the hooliganism that was once attached to it.
December 6, 2012
October 1, 2012
Well told story of another of England's nearly moments with some good incidental cut-away inserts to help gel the original 1990 footage together.
September 3, 2012
I forgot how good gazza was.
August 20, 2012
The football and the wonder that is Bobby Robson are the only things to take away from this film because frankly the filmmakers had no input into that part. Their contribution is just mindless, yobbish and ideal fodder for your average Loaded reader. Crash bang wallop! Rule Britannia nonsense.
June 23, 2012
A must watch film. Fascinating insight into italia 90. also highlights the big problem with hooligans and how badly the media dealt with it. Nothing has changed in 20 years.
June 7, 2012
I was a little disappointed with this documentary. The build up was detailed and informative. But the actual footage was lacking. There were snippets of footage which were then broken down and replaced by studio staged close ups foot to ball, or ball to post. No sequence was allowed to be viewed in it's entirety. I expected talking heads, but there was none. Ok, i understand this was a cinematic version of the book "All Played Out" so it did come across as more of a narrative with artistic measure. Lots of footage of Bobby Robson also which alerted me to the fact that everybody now really says very little for fear of saying the wrong thing. Robson came across as quite out spoken compared to todays managers.
April 12, 2012
One Night In Turin is a good documentary for anyone interested in football. The circumstances surrounding Italia ‚~90 is infamous and well documented. With the vocal talents of legendary actor Gary Oldman guiding us throughout the documentary, it is well crafted.

In any documentary, you need a character that you can find an interest in, something that would fascinate you regardless of whether you enjoy the subject or not. Here the documentary revolves around the two most important Englishmen during Italia 90‚(TM), the manager Bobby Robson, at the time vilified & ridiculed, and the player Paul ‚Gazza‚? Gascoigne, an outstanding talent but untrusted at International level.

The arc of the two characters, ‚Gazza‚? growing to be instrumental to the team, only for on the biggest stage, to have his heart broken, and cry with the nation as he was yellow carded, and hereby, banned from the final, coincides with the travails of Robson, rising against adversity, demonstrating his heart and desire, helping the team drag themselves to the semi-finals, leaving the England team a hero.

There is in fact one beautiful moment where, before the Penalties in the semi-finals are taken, ‚Gazza‚?, tears in his eyes, is comforted by Robson, who tells him ‚you‚(TM)ve been one of the best players of the tournament my lad, you‚(TM)ve earned this, and you have your whole career ahead of you‚?, subtitles displaying Robson‚(TM)s comments.

Overall the documentary was enjoyable, showing the conditions of the time, the standards, and places you into the frame mind of the English at the time, so you get an idea of how important the tournament was all round. For fans of football, it would be a good documentary to enjoy.
½ March 30, 2012
Cracking film for you football fans. Great soundtrack too..
July 13, 2011
A must see documentary if you're a soccer fan. I've only been limited to watching games of Korea's team, but this film made me appreciate the game more. Mainly focuses on the England team during 1990 but quite inspiring for viewers and amazing to see what athletes can do.
February 6, 2011
Really good footy documentary about the 1990 world cup. Funnny to see how little has changed; i.e. the media doing everything they can to unsettle the team and ruin our chances and everyone over reacting after a mediocre performance (this time a draw against Ireland).
½ January 25, 2011
As the memory of a particular moment in time this is pretty good. The music is great (Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, The Wedding Present, The Farm etc), and it taps into a collective happy memory of a time before money ruined the beautiful game. The sight of England players laughing and chatting in the tunnel before the game gave some indication as to what has been lost by the growing commercialism and so-called professionalism since that point. As a documentary, One Night in Turin is less successful. Gary Oldman's narration is fine in places, if a little hyperbolic, like one of those tedious linking sections on Football Focus. Unfortunately the filmmakers have chosen to insert mocked-up footage in amongst the original film. Gary Lineker steps up for a penalty, he kicks the ball, we see a new shot of a ball hitting the back of the net. Footage from matches is interspersed with re-enactments of the players kicking a ball, shot from the waist down. Why was this deemed necessary? Surely there was enough footage of this tournament to use exclusively when making the film. Overall this was a series of great memories inexpertly executed.
½ September 16, 2010
In 1990 the game of football in this country was at a crossroads.
For years the so called English disease had ripped the game apart with Hooligans gaining a rep so bad which culiminated in the Heysel stadium disaster in 1985.
Following that and The Hillsborugh dsaster the previous year hopes for the world cup that year were not high.

This fascinating documentary uncovers how a team of so called donkeys came agonizingly close to reaching the world cup final.
Gary Oldmans naration is based on Pete Davis book All played out which followed the team and fans during Italia 90.

Whats follows uncovers how the goverment of the time were clueless when it came to the game and how genuine fans were treated by Italian Police.

The main focus of the film is on Bobby Robson and Paul Gasgoine showing how during the world cup bothe came through being called no hopers and turn them selves into legends.

Being a football fan i remember Italia 90 and the film envokes the period very well indeed ,it also has plenty of unseen footage and a stonking sound track.

A very good film for fans and non fans alike
September 2, 2010
No matter how many times I play it back, Waddle's penalty still keeps sailing over Bodo Illgner's crossbar. Dammit! Worth watching for all the great memories.. and Nessum Dorma, and rembereing what a great footballer Gascoigne once was.
½ August 25, 2010
The term ‚??preaching to the choir‚?? can apply to many different scenarios in your local multiplex. For some, romantic comedies, be they good (Notting Hill), bad (Maid of Honour) or ugly (Valentine‚??s Day), are always going to entertain you, however clich√©d and obvious the plot becomes. For others, the sight of Bruce Willis kicking ass and taking names on the big screen will always make the price of the ticket worthwhile, and it is with this in mind that I look back to last‚??s night special screening of One Night in Turin. It is hard to separate subject and substance on occasions like this, but I will do my best. To start with: the story. Italia 90 may have been slightly to early for me to be able to fully appreciate it (as I was only 2 ¬Ĺ years old) but it‚??s significance, and the magic of England‚??s progression has stayed with me through DVDs, TV shows and word of mouth. It was the tournament that brought England back onto the world stage as a serious contender, and launched many players from greats to icons.
The film seems happy to let the story play out in a fairly simple manner, and there doesn‚??t seem to be any argument or agenda in this documentary aside from the telling of the story itself, which on the one hand I think is good for those with passionate memories of the games, but for others it may be slightly disappointing, as parts do feel like they are just being read out of an Italia 90 fact book. The football sequences also leave a little something to be desired, which may or may not be due to legal issues as to who owns copyright to the footage. They get going with nice build up, the audience just starts to get hooked into the action, and then it cuts to still photographs or shots of anonymous feet slowing kicking a ball about. It never allows you to fully be taken away with the play, and if that is a directorial choice, then it was the wrong one. However, for most of those watching it, the matches are the bare bones (as we all know the outcomes seeing as it was played out 20 years ago), and the real highlights come in the form of the behind the scenes footage, and the interviews. These do not disappoint, and you are left with some great clips and features which are as funny now as they were then, mostly featuring Gascoigne at his very best. Gazza is the star of this film, and is the focus of almost all of the directors attention, which again can either be a good thing for those who believe he was the bright light in the team, or could leave you slightly hollow at not getting insights into the thoughts of people like Lineker or Terry Butcher, who would have added something else to the mix. The one man who you never begrudge seeing on screen however is the films true hero, Bobby Robson. It is clear from the first few frames that he is idolised by the director as much as the audience and it is a moving experience seeing him at his highest level, acting with the dignity and honour that came so naturally to him.
One Night in Turin doesn‚??t answer that many questions, although it does paint a very good picture of its time, and reminds us rather than informs us. It certainly won‚??t be for everyone, and looking at it purely from a documentary standpoint, it may come up slightly short of the mark, but this film feels from the first shot to the last a labour of love. It is made about England fans, by England fans, for England fans, and for those who love the three lions, you cannot possibly come away without having felt moved by the actions on screen. You get to see Gazza acting the fool, you get to see England play free flowing football, you get to see a world cup that still ranks as our 2nd most successful, and you get to see Sir Bobby Robson on the big screen, and admire the legend of the game that he was. Does it preach to the choir? Almost unashamedly yes, but if you are one of that choir, it will more than entertain you for 90 minutes, which is sometimes more than you can say for watching England play live. A great watch, and a perfect way to induce world cup fever ahead of South Africa.
August 17, 2010
Sir Bobby, we miss you so very much!