67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

One Night With the King Reviews

ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 13, 2009
The film generally adheres to the main plot of the Biblical narrative. However, the film adds stylistic elements not present in the Biblical story. The Jewish narrative of the relationship between Esther (Tiffany Dupont) and Ahasuerus (treated as Xerxes I of Persia in this, as in many adaptations) was not a love story, but a forced marriage in which Esther had no choice. The story presents many facets that could have happened rather than strictly sticking to biblical texts.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 4, 2008
This was an Outstanding Movie, If you have traveled Western Europe or The Middle east, the scenes were so real, colors excellent, The Costumes were unbeleivable. This was a great movie, Do yourself a big favor get it, thank You Fox Family Video
Gx7
Gx7

October 31, 2007
Close to perfect, a rendition of the book of Esther. If I didnt know the story in the book I would have rated this 5 stars. its not a bad rendition, I just didnt give it 5 stars cuz I think they missed to "portray" a few things about Esther. Still, yknow. Its a good movie :) Maybe guys would see this as " a girly/religious movie --- and we all know how overly religious, religious movies go", I would beg to differ, this has zest. Sajbel did a great job in directing this.
Dann M

April 21, 2014
The Biblical epic One Night With the King is a compelling story of faith and duty. A Jewish peasant girl named Esther wins the heart of King Xerxes during his search for a new queen, but when a nefarious prince named Haman plots to kill the Jewish population she must risk everything to save her people. James Callis gives an incredible performance as Haman; creating a tantalizingly evil villain that's smart and crafty. Tiffany Dupont's performance as Esther on the other hand is quite poor, and she's unable to hold her own against her co-stars. However, the production valves are extraordinarily well-done; from the costumes to the set designs, to the sweeping score, the film does a remarkable job at creating a grand, historical look and feel. A powerful tale of faith, One Night With the King is an inspiring spiritual drama.
Dannielle A

June 29, 2007
I was very disappointed that it didn't line up 100 percent biblically. But for being a movie based on the Bible, it could have been a lot worse.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

February 16, 2007
I did not feel the chemistry between King Xerxes and Hadassah. I like how she fought to save her people and all that but what's up with her reading to him just one time and then at the next meeting, WHAM, proposal of marriage. It would have being nice to see a follow up after the story reading.
iLeo
iLeo

December 23, 2007
Interesting.
rcascio
April 15, 2012
Unbelievably great. It is basically the entire story of Esther (Old Testament) put to a motion picture. An excellent movie, especially if you read the book before or after.
November 29, 2011
I really love the story of Esther, or Hebrew Hadassah. That being said, I enjoy this film. They've taken quite a few liberties with it but after my second viewing, I still enjoy watching this film. It's hard for me to not rate it higher. I just feel that they missed a lot of the cultural context of the story of Hadassah. A lot of the casting choices were pretty terrible, too. This film falls way short so I can't rate it much higher. But it's still a fun film for me.
March 11, 2007
Wonderfully made, with a great story (of course its the Bible) and very reminiscent of the old 50's Bible movies like the Ten Commandments.
September 5, 2008
okay movie. i liked seeing tiffany duport in it because she played franny in greek, which is my favorite tv show.
ilovekitkat55
August 29, 2008
I love this movie. this movie is my #1 fav movie of all time. i think the cast was perfect for this movie. Luke Goss was great as the king and Tiffany Dupont played a great queen.
bambie76
July 11, 2009
?One Night With The King? is an excellent, moving film that will change your perspective about our Christian heritage. The complete production was top notch. The sets were breath-taking, and the costumes stunning. Gener8Xion Entertainment has given its audiences a film for all to indulge in. I can truthfully say, it is right up there with other Biblical epics we?ve loved and enjoyed?not to mention the fact it can be used as a teaching tool that sets a fine example. It follows Biblical perceptive without being preachy, holding close to the basic story of Esther, and giving us some wonderful dialogue to follow, liberally laced with Scripture verse.

So many evil things do happen in our lives. Can we believe God for protection? We must be careful to interpret Scripture with Scripture, and if we examine the record, we find that God did not always protect His people from harm. He has absolute power to keep us safe, both physically and spiritually, but His engineering of the universe made room for man?s freedom to choose?a freedom of will to obey or to disobey Him. This is a deep mystery. Man?s disobedience brought evil into the world, and all of us are subject to it. God does not cancel out its effects, even for His choicest servants (John the Baptist, Stephen, those nameless victims of Hebrews 11:35-37, for example).

Nevertheless, we have the promises of God (read Romans 8:35-39) We can rest assured that we are invulnerable, so long as God does not give permission for us to be hurt. If He gives that permission, He will not leave us alone. He goes with us through the valley, the deep water, the furnace. He will never, absolutely never, leave us or forsake us. Esther knew this with all her heart, and this absolute assurance took her through a mission?The Valley of death, fraught with treachery?holding on tight to The Hand of God, He brought her safely out on the other side.
They cast the character of Esther and a visit to India where they actually filmed within the exquisite ruins of centuries-old fortresses. I will place it in its rightful spot between ?King Of Kings? and ?The Ten Commandments.?
avp60685
April 1, 2009
This is a great movie of the classic Bible story of Esther and how she helped save her people. It was really good to watch!
February 24, 2009
Dupont & Goss have grace and chemistry in this one. An adaptation of the story of Esther from the Biblical text. Richly & beautifully compose setting, backdrop & costuming only enhances the drama of the scenes. Peformances were all solid, and Sharif and Rhys-Davies as addition brought attention to the quality this film did deliver. Goss' role, a different take on Xerxes [of 300 and Spartan memory], was both engrossing & intense. Xerxes is intelliegent & gentile, senstive yet courageous. Dupont in her role as Esther was his equal-smart, confident, keen. She is ready to give totally of herself for her people even if it means death; xerxes is ready to carry out the dreams and promise to his father but he has to watch out for the advisors in his court--they could be manipulative. recommended for all cinematic intentions but mostly for the story-a true to life one.
tearney98
January 15, 2009
this Movie shows us how God takes care of his people. and when they are obedient and trusting how he keeps us out of trouble, in this movie it also shows you that God will not let other throw you into sin when you are true to him.
Darkling317
November 10, 2008
This movie was so great, I could feel everyones emotion's throught the whole film. I could not emagine what I would have done having been in her shoes. This is one you whatch over and over and never get tired of.
lovesheba
September 29, 2008
A wonderful story, beautiful cast with an excellent screen play. This is an astonishing historical story of faith and love.
March 31, 2007
Cinematography and sets look great. Dupont is lovely and sweet. King Xerxes asked, "Tell me Esther of Susa, who are you really? Tell me of your people. Teach me of your ways. Then Hadassah said, "it takes the glory of God to conceal a matter, and the honor of kings to search it out." That was a great story line!
But her famous verse "I go in unto the King, which is not according to the law: and if I perish I perish" (Esther 4:16) made her a legend.
Bought one for myself and watched it several times. never get tired of it.