The Onion Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Onion Movie Reviews

BEACHBUNNI
May 27, 2010
some hillarious moments and i did laugh heaps but overall pretty stupid!!!
January 26, 2010
The seatbelt made me laugh almost harder than I laughed in any movie! After that, I was asking myself if this was even supposed to be a comedy? My jaw dropped at the end and I was ready to eat the dvd!
deano
January 11, 2009
Poor and ridiculous spoof movie about the news source. Lack of laughs. This is the worst spoof movie I ever watched.
January 6, 2009
Some of it were funny, some of it weren't.
November 27, 2008
I was kind of expecting a little more subtlety from The Onion writing staff, but all in all this was a damn funny sketch film. There is so much in the world to make fun of, and I think the Onion must have trouble deciding what to choose. The things they left in really were golden though, from Nick Chinlund's "nightmarish addiction to life" to the Armed Gunman's rise through the ranks of the working world. I especially liked the dead-on parody of the blatantly sexual imagery and lyrics of pop music princesses. I was surprised by how widely seen this movies is, but it definitely deserves the audience it got.
July 15, 2008
The team behind The Onion, a popular satirical newspaper, are the writers of this movie parody. Essentially a scattershot collection of sketches, the "story" concerns a news anchor asked to compromise his journalistic integrity in order to please a corporate sponsor. There are a few genuine laughs, but the gags are mostly hit or miss.
skactopus
½ July 31, 2008
The Onion Movie will surprise you, disappoint you, or give you just what you expect. I guess I fall into the surprise group. If you notice my rating, it isn't 1/2 a star, which is where I started before watching this decent comedic picture.So, what makes this film more successful than, let's say, Date Movie. The plot, or lack of plot that is. You see this film has no plot other then to mock a funny newspaper. There is no flow here. Instead, this film is basically 80 minutes of random skits, with Len Cariou, who plays the leading news anchor perfectly, filling in the time between these skits by pretending he is giving out news headlines. This is one way to go to create a good comedy.A good portion of the comedy in here is racial and sexual, but it does manage to get some laughs. Way more so, than Scary Movie 2. There are a bunch of those ridiculous comedic scenes as well. Some are funny and some are, well, stupid. The ending is partially clever too. It utilizes the concepts and characters from a bunch of the earlier skits.Despite this movie swooping in under the radar, there are a bunch of recognizable faces in here. The most notable is Steven Seagal as the "Cockpuncher." You may also notice Daniel Dae Kim, Nick Chinlund, and even Michael Bolton. I can't forget to mention the sexy Sarah McElligott as Melissa Cherry.This is not a comedic classic like Spaceballs, but it isn't a pile of crap like Date Movie. It is in the middle. For a measly 80 minutes of your life you can get a few laughs out of the cockpun ... I mean The Onion Movie.
July 25, 2008
Mindless series of sketches loosely stuck together. Not provocative and really a waste of time. It is in no way a fair representation of the brilliance of the short internet sketches such as The Iron Man Trailer and Nick Nolte free cars. Some sketches have some nice ideas such as the mystery rape party but overall this is a huge miss. Satirical but very obvious. Luckily it was short.
June 27, 2008
A provocative nobrainer that isn't actually a movie, more a bunch of sketches that are hilariously funny at best.

Watch Steven Seagull.. sorry Seagal make fun of himself in: "Cockpuncher! The no 1 summer blockbuster!"
puffchunk
June 26, 2008
For the most part it was really really stupid, but there were several good jokes as well.
June 15, 2008
Funny...but funny enough to be graced with The Onion name? Not even close. A few hysterical sketches, an equal number of duds, and lots of forgettable material in between.
½ March 30, 2010
Best parts include Steven Seagal playing Steven Seagal in Cockpuncher. Loved the integration of the skits into the whole movie. Didn't expect much from it and it didn't disappoint, but wasn't anything genius. If you like MadTV and SNL, you'll love this.
½ July 28, 2008
Slapdash sketch comedy effort runs what few jokes do (still) work right into the ground.
½ July 12, 2012
If you think the Onion Movie would be bad then you are quite wrong, the film is a comedy sketch anthology that were well written and very funny, then all of the characters from the segment come together for some ultra hilarity. The film really made me laugh as the subjects that the sketches satired were all relevant to today's world, and were brilliantly done.
½ March 28, 2010
Not to be viewed as a 'movie' of its own but rather as a very loosely connected series of well-edited sketches, The Onion Movie redefines the label 'hit-or-miss', for it contains about a 50-50 ratio of gags that are either gut-bustingly hilarious or paralysingly unfunny. It's an altogether thin satire of mass culture and the confusion between entertainment and information in the media, but it even points itself out to be not much more than that. A comical curiosity probably worth checking out if that's your type of humor.
August 25, 2009
It had some funny parts, but it wasn't as funny as it was made out to be.
½ January 3, 2009
Well just rented this tonight after my son saw a trailer for it on his meet the spartans dvd and just had to see it. Surprisingly funny, I mean i havent liked any of the spoof films that have been released as of late, but the news articles that they satire in this film hit the nail directly on the head. Expecially the britney "the ho" speers and electronic upgrades. Worth a watch, but like one poster said earlier, watch the daily show its so much better. Well...he's right.
½ August 1, 2008
Bad. I can take small chunks but an entire movie, spoiled it for me.