Guess the Tomatometer

Perhaps I am projecting my own anticipation onto the movie, but I am going to predict a 95% final Tomatometer score.

A moody, ultra-violent piece of contemporary neo-noir, "Only God Forgives" is a mesmerizing, palpable crime thriller, featuring a stunning performance from Ryan Gosling and some of Nicolas Winding Refn's best direction to date.
Marcus J.
04-20-2013 11:17 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

It's just a mediocre movie.

Aug 4 - 01:03 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

Everyone was trying to predict a fresh outcome when it had like a 40.

Jul 26 - 03:13 PM

Cole Bailey

Cole Bailey

I didn't like it in my opinion Winding Refn is trying to much to recreate the atmosphere from Drive and the end result is a lack character development (Winding Refn didn't really make me care for Billy, Julian or Crystal.), wooden dialogue, unbelievable characters and gratuitous violence and a minimalist performance by Ryan Gosling. The only good things about the movie are Scott- Thomas's performance, the cinematography by Larry Smith and the music by Cliff Martinez (who previously worked with Winding Refn on Drive) my final rating 4* out of 10*.

Jul 21 - 11:28 AM

Raoul Weatherell

Raoul Weatherell

As soon as the mainstream American critics got to see it it dropped down low. This same country gave Grown Ups 2 more money than Pacific Rim. What did you expect?

Jul 20 - 12:47 AM

Austin Sarver

Austin Sarver

Beautifully put.

Jul 20 - 04:40 PM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

Yeah, these American critics gave grown ups 2 a 6% and pacific Rim in the 70s. Fallacious dumbass.

Jul 20 - 06:15 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

Have you even seen it? And the box office results and critical reception are completely different. Your comment is a waste.

Jul 21 - 01:40 PM

Mitchell Ryan

Mitchell Ryan

wow this movie flopped critically

Jul 19 - 09:49 PM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

lol, nope

Jul 19 - 06:54 PM

The Wolf of Wall Street

Jordan Belfort

Jul 17 - 09:51 PM

Vinayaka Bhat

Vinayaka Bhat

Jul 15 - 07:16 AM

Shaun D.

Steven Harris

The tomatometer's increasing. It'll probably end up in the 70's.

Jul 15 - 02:22 AM

Max M.

The Dude

At least 50%.

Jul 13 - 05:39 PM

Trenton Ledford

Trenton Ledford

I think the score will move up to about 55-65 once it is release. A lot of movies scores increase such as cloud atlas, watchmen, mama, and i think this will be one of them. The score will start off low but increase overtime.

Jul 13 - 10:08 AM

Ruben Schuit

Ruben Schuit

It was released in Holland the 6th of June, so I went to see it... It really isn't that good, it drags and it's boring. It'll end up rotten, I can give you my word.

Jul 12 - 10:41 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

62%

Jul 9 - 07:40 AM

Akash Sah

Akash Sah

82%

Jul 8 - 02:47 PM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

I'm changing mine to 67%. Definitely going to get higher. I wouldn't be surprised by it getting to 70s or 80s.

Jul 7 - 02:21 PM

Job Ibaņez

Job Ibaņez

When it gets released in July 19, I think it'll be 11% by then.

Jul 5 - 05:56 PM

Armān Gargari

Armān Gargari

When you get some real sence in your mind, you know its gonna be 95-100

Jul 6 - 02:29 PM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

And when you do, you'll realize how to spell the word.

Jul 7 - 07:50 PM

J.D Dean

J.D Dean

No way it's 95-100%, not with 15 rotten reviews already.

Jul 10 - 02:06 PM

Keon Reza

Keon Reza

Job, a Refn film simply does not become rotten. The lowest it will end up is in the 60s.

Jul 7 - 02:25 PM

Keon Reza

Keon Reza

Job, a Refn film simply does not go rotten. The lowest it will end up is in the 60s.

Jul 7 - 02:25 PM

The Wolf of Wall Street

Jordan Belfort

what about Fear X?

Jul 17 - 09:51 PM

Keon Reza

Keon Reza

Touche :p

Jul 17 - 10:32 PM

Keon Reza

Keon Reza

70%

Jun 26 - 09:15 PM

Raoul Weatherell

Raoul Weatherell

Slowly going up, at 33% now. Seeing it tomorrow. Cannot wait!

Jun 25 - 10:12 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Yeah Its 36% now, i'm hoping the trend continues. By the way Raoul when you see can you tell us what you thought of it. Since I'm a big fan of Refn My expectations are still very high.

Jun 26 - 07:44 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Yeah Its 36% now, i'm hoping the trend continues. By the way Raoul when you see it can you tell us what you thought of it. Since I'm a big fan of Refn My expectations are still very high.

Jun 26 - 07:45 PM

Keon Reza

Keon Reza

40% :)

Jun 27 - 02:00 PM

Will Fox

Will Fox

With a movie this divisive, the tomatometer doesn't count for much I guess.

Jun 11 - 08:21 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I'm still really hopeing reviews will pick up after Cannes. I'd like it to be another success for Nicolas Winding Refn

Jun 11 - 02:33 PM

Tristin Breakfield

Tristin Breakfield

Hey Armán, I have a question. Did Gosling speak a lot?

Jun 5 - 07:24 PM

Armān Gargari

Armān Gargari

around 20 or more I think, but don't he is shown a lot. But really. Watch the movie. I've made a video explaining the story. But it contains MAJOR spoilers. So you should watch it then search up " Only God Forgives Explained " I couldn't see people hating on it because they didn't understand it.

Jun 6 - 02:22 PM

Armān Gargari

Armān Gargari

But he is shown alot* that "don't" shouldn't be there :)

Jun 6 - 02:23 PM

Armān Gargari

Armān Gargari

The movie was fantastic, I really loved it. The thing is that the story is complicated, it's deep, really deep. It's a puzzle that YOU must solve. I sat in the buss back home and was so mad at myself why the story was so loose. Then I found out what it was all about, and it was better than Drive; it's a misunderstood masterpiece

Jun 5 - 05:16 AM

Armān Gargari

Armān Gargari

I'm gonna watch the movie tomorrow with some friends, gonna tell ya how the movie was etc. Fuck the tomatometer

Jun 3 - 03:22 PM

Kendall Christianson

Kendall Christianson

The tomato meter is sooooo deceptive. A movie could be at 0% and have a 5.5/10 average rating, which is still reccomendable, and a 100% movie could have a 6/10 rating. So basically, the meter doesn't amount to shit. The average rating is what counts. But, having said that, I think this film will get to the 60s-70s, with an average rating of 6.6-7.1/10. I think more notable, better critics will see this and love it.

May 29 - 10:24 PM

Mitchell Nash

Mitchell Nash

I agree. If you take it at face value, it may make you miss movies you'd enjoy or see movies you wouldn't like. I tend to see the Tomatometer, the average rating [comparing both to top critics], then checking out the user percent and average.

May 31 - 11:57 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

If a movie has a zero it's not recommendable period.

Jun 2 - 06:55 PM

John Tyler

J *

I don't give a fuck about the tomatometer. I'm just expecting a good art-house film with this film and nothing else.

May 29 - 03:38 PM

Max M.

The Dude

That's right, man.

Jun 7 - 02:59 AM

Driver

Handsome Luke

this

Jun 15 - 01:19 PM

Tom B.

Tom Beltran

http://www.indiewire.com/survey/top-films-and-performances-of-cannes-2013/biggest-surprise/ here's all the review for cannes

May 29 - 03:20 PM

Jake Braden

Jake Braden

85%,consensus reads: Everyone who attended Cannes Film festival is a massive faggot

May 25 - 10:28 PM

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

Hahahaha

May 28 - 09:05 PM

Kendall Christianson

Kendall Christianson

well said.

May 29 - 10:22 PM

Armān Gargari

Armān Gargari

Indeed

Hats

Bart Higginstien

23%

May 25 - 02:28 PM

Trenton Ledford

Trenton Ledford

15-20 . I can tell by the trailer that the movie is more gore than story. It probably won't get high scores by the critics, but from the fans I think it will recieve a tomatoe in the 60 percent - 70 range .

May 24 - 11:01 PM

Armān Gargari

Armān Gargari

It's not more gore than story :-) it may seem that way but it isn't :)

Trenton Ledford

Trenton Ledford

15-20 . I can tell by the trailer that the movie is more gore than story. It probably won't get high scores but critics. But from the fans I think it will recieve a tomatoe in the 60 percent - 70 range .

May 24 - 11:00 PM

Jake Springhorn

Jake Springhorn

Damn. Not looking good so far. I've been hyping this movie up. At least the soundtrack should be nice.

May 24 - 01:13 PM

Justin Mercado

Justin Mercado

I'm wondering why The Playlist's review is considered to be rotten. Sure, the reviewer said she was disappointed, but she did give it a "B" grade. I'm going to guess that the film ends up in the low 30s for top critics, and mid-to-low 50s overall.

May 24 - 09:22 AM

Rhode Rian Gadia

Rhode Rian Gadia

Im looking at 35 to 50.A very polarizing film, and one I will try to catch in the future.

May 24 - 12:52 AM

mrcuevasabsent

Luis Cuevas

Looks like the magic combination is Cianfrance and Gosling they better do a gangster film next.

May 23 - 07:58 PM

Fareed Kairon

Fareed Kairon

Yeah, 22% is not a good sign at all, wow. I still have hope for this movie though.

May 23 - 07:27 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

Everyone thought this would be Drive 2. Even if it had positive reviews it would still be pretty mixed and not too much like Drive. Most of the Drive fans haven't seen Refn's other works.

May 23 - 05:08 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

My prediction went from 94 percent to a 45% at most. :(

May 23 - 04:40 PM

Tom B.

Tom Beltran

I hate when critics don't judge a film for what it is

May 23 - 03:16 PM

Dane M.

Dane Mathis

I think you may have spoken too soon.

May 23 - 02:12 PM

Armen Godjamanian

Armen Godjamanian

IT'S AT 22% D:

May 23 - 12:12 PM

Fareed Kairon

Fareed Kairon

It'll come somewhere between the 58% of Fear X and the the 78% of Bronson. This kind of film seems to be in the middle of those two movies, with a very stylistic (critics may call self indulgent) approach and (apparently) only traces of substance and narrative progression. I think it's unconventional nature is brave and to me these mixed reviews are a good thing in many ways, it proves Refn is making movies to genuinely challenge and provoke the audience, perhaps not in a very friendly way.

I'm going with: 63%

May 22 - 11:36 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Also, did anyone else notice that Gosling's second go-round with directors this year that went excellent the first time didn't do as good in 2013? I mean, not that 82% was bad at all for The Place Beyond the Pines, it wasn't quite the acclaim the performances in Blue Valentine (both movies directed by Derek Cianfrance) got in 2010.

May 22 - 06:32 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Marcus, spot on prose with your projected RT consensus.

That being said, with an average rating of only a 5.4, I can't see the RT score of this movie going above 70% (and that, obviously, is already VERY generous). I suppose even the best director slips up now and then -- it's unfortunate though Gosling and Refn couldn't be the next Scorsese and De Niro. Until next time...

May 22 - 06:28 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

65%

May 22 - 02:21 PM

Eduardo Soto

Eduardo Soto

judging by the press conference from Canees (thatīs all I have to judge) it seems that the movie didnt live up to the hype.... not that they implied it was bad but it sure isnīt going to be another Drive-type hit.

60-70

May 22 - 10:41 AM

Joseph Baker-Kästner

Joseph Baker-Kästner

71-77%

May 22 - 08:14 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

70%

May 22 - 07:43 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

70%

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

68% with 6.3

Corrado Bonicelli

Corrado Bonicelli

80-90%

May 22 - 06:32 AM

Seb M

Seb Moore

^marcus was certainly optimistic haha

May 22 - 05:35 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

78%

May 22 - 04:34 AM

Seb M

Seb Moore

wow, reactions have been incredibly mixed at cannes. i think it'll probably be in the 70% range, but its anyones guess at this stage

May 22 - 02:19 AM

Shaun Heenan

Shaun Heenan

If the Cannes reaction is anything to go by, 40% seems high.

May 22 - 01:59 AM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Worst: 0%
Best: 100%
Bad Consensus:
Only God Forgives is Nicholas Refn's first bad movie to date. Trying hard to get the 'Drive' feel, it ends up getting the 'ripoff' feel.

Good:
Wanna see a good movie?

May 21 - 09:43 AM

Tom B.

Tom Beltran

96% I'm an idealist

May 20 - 12:39 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

88%. Watch

May 19 - 07:03 PM

pitvipersg

Soham Gadre

I'm gonna be a bit bold here and say 97%. This is Refn's most "mainstream" film as of yet (in comparison to his other works), but it also very artistically crafted with clever hints and nudges to his previous films (the reincarnation of "One-eye" and thematically similar to "Drive"). Critics will love it, his fans will love it, most average American audience members will be weirded out by it, but it would be the perfect gateway for them to his other works.

May 19 - 06:41 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

As someone else mentioned, probably a little too bold -- I'm saying 94% at very best. Mid-nineties, of course, is nothing to be ashamed of.

May 19 - 07:04 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Never mind. This is getting a mediocre RT score -- sorry Ryan, maybe next time.

May 22 - 06:24 PM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

It's not mainstream at all... Critics will hopefully love it, but many are going to be too weirded out... VERY un-mainstream...

May 20 - 02:40 PM

Edd Jefferson

Edd Jefferson

Soham I would hope you are right however I bet too many critics find the violence to be unnecessary for that to happen :P

May 21 - 07:10 AM

Rohit Ramachandran

Rohit Ramachandran

94%

May 19 - 04:32 PM

Pointman

Point Man

89-94%

May 19 - 08:17 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Hmmm, let's see. An arthouse movie from the director of Drive....the critics are going to love it. I would e surprised if it wasn't in the 90s range.

May 18 - 09:04 PM

Joseph Baker-Kästner

Joseph Baker-Kästner

Many critics will probably find it to violent, but I see this as only weakness in its race to a 92-93%

May 18 - 01:44 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

89%

May 16 - 09:00 AM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

80%. This actually looks amazing.

May 14 - 05:50 PM

Stefen Echols

Stefen Echols

87%

May 8 - 10:57 PM

Andrew Perry

Andrew Perry

I'm gonna say 78%. They tend to be a bit slanted and lower than I expected, so this seems about right. If not, then I'll be thrilled!

Apr 30 - 07:23 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

im soooooo looking forward to this !

Lowest: 85%
Highest: 97%

Apr 23 - 07:43 PM

mrcuevasabsent

Luis Cuevas

101%

Apr 20 - 10:15 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

At the highest i'm thinking 95%, at the lowest probobly 82%; overall though i'm thinking it will most likely be around 91-93% Nick Refin is a director to watch without question. Drive was a new step for his evolving directorial style and i'm curious to see where he will go from here.

Apr 20 - 05:06 PM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

I'd say that Bronson was his real turning point... The style between Drive and it, while becoming more unique for Drive, was pretty similar.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb, but I"m guessing 97%. Don't know why, but just my guess/hope.

May 5 - 09:09 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I'd be happy with 97% don't get me wrong, its just very unlikely. Drive's one of my favourite movies, but it only got a 93%. I'd agree that Bronson was a turning point for Refin, it probably the first time we really got to see Refin's art house style. Drive for me was a continued evolution in that style to a new level of refinement.

May 6 - 10:55 PM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

That's true, very true. Drive is probably his best thus far. I'm probably way off, but I don't really care. I'm just guessing here.

May 19 - 05:56 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

At the highest i'm thinking 95%, at the lowest probobly 82%; overall though i'm thinking it will most likely be around 91-93% Nick Refin is a director to watch without question. Drive was a new chapter in his evolving directorial style and i'm curious to see where he will go from here.

Apr 20 - 05:04 PM

Bad Ash J. Gilmore

Bad Ash J. Gilmore

91%

Apr 20 - 03:56 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile