Open City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Open City Reviews

½ November 15, 2014
This quintessential classic of neorealism is an unsettling and hard-hitting portrait of an era, shot in a gritty documentary-like style and with a gallery of fascinating characters that represent, each one of them, a facet of Roman society under Nazi German occupation.
rubystevens
½ November 21, 2010
altho not the first nor the definitive neorealist film, it was the one that caught the world's attention. filmed in the streets under difficult circumstances shortly after rome's liberation and still thrilling to watch, the film follows resistance fighters and ordinary people trying to get on with their lives in the wake of nazi occupation. the criterion edition with high def digital transfer looks terrific. if you've tried watching this before but was put off by poor picture quality and bad subtitles check it out now :)
September 5, 2010
A great early Italian Neo-Realism film, a must see.
flixsterman
January 18, 2009
Has to be one of the first post-war films to come out of Italy after WWII. In 1945 the Italians had every right to be anti-German, yet this film is less about that than it is an homage to the men, women and children who fought against occupation in the underground resistance movement. A fantastic film.
June 10, 2011
"Rome Open City" is the first of Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy and is a stunning and realistic look at wartime Italy through the eyes of those that lived it. It's one of the most influential and prolific of all the Italian neorealist films and a tremendous show of bravery by all involved in the creation of the film. Rossellini who was aided by Fellini and Amidei making the screenplay had to film in secret using scavenged film stock and no sound equipment due to the Germans and was filmed in Rome shortly before its liberation. The realities of war are terrifying and realistic and don't always end happily. "Rome Open City" preserves a time and place and helped found a powerful and beautiful style of cinema that continues inspiring and capturing the hearts and souls of all those who see it! A masterpiece that shouldn't be missed.
½ June 4, 2008
What I'll remember about this one: The scenes with the kids, and the androgynous German villain duo. They both scared me. Plus there're some really fantastic scenes at the midway point and at the end.
September 27, 2012
This one had an impact on the world, Italian cinema, and anyone who watched it from the time of it's release until today. It's a gritty, authentic, and heartbreaking experience.
½ September 3, 2015
Rome, Open City is a film filled with anger, an active work of rebellion against the German occupiers who committed crimes like the ones portrayed, and this anger is what makes it so compelling. Shockingly, for a film about a fascist police state, it's surprisingly funny, these moments of humor only serving to underline the atrocities carried out. Capturing an honest piece of Italian history while serving as an indictment of fascism, Rome, Open City is a powerful piece of filmmaking and a landmark in Italian cinema.
½ October 2, 2013
this brought a new language neo-realist to movies shot doc style on the streets cos there was no studios post WWII cincitta was army barracks
November 21, 2012
Directed by Roberto Rossellini this Italian neorealist film depicts the harsh realities of life in Rome during WWII during Nazi occupation. We are given an inside look at the bravery and everyday lives of these people. We become familiar with a fugitive engineer and resistance leader. He gains assistance from a kindly and collected priest who also runs a church. Their stories intertwine with a widowed woman who is just about to be remarried, a beautiful girlfriend, and a Gestapo office who is intent on stopping the resistance. After one tragic event everything continues on a downward spiral. The fugitive Manfredi as well as the priest are betrayed. Don Pietro must look on as the other man is brutally tortured to the point of death. Next, Gestapo try to use the priest's own beliefs against him and yet he will not yield either. He too then faces a fate just as horrible. This film at times was brutally realistic and it is perhaps one of the most moving films I have seen. We do not normally think of the struggles of Italians during WWII since Mussolini was allied with Hitler, however much like the French or even Germans, they faced tremendous danger and hardship. Furthermore, it humanized the Italians in my mind a great deal. This is the first film of the war trilogy that I have seen and now I want to see the other two.
½ September 16, 2012
The passion of Marxism, the forgiveness of Catholicism, and the precision of Film Realism all come together is this affecting film classic about life in Nazi occupied Rome.
½ January 9, 2008
The priest and Karl Malden's priest in On The Waterfront should so totally team up and do an action-comedy buddy movie.
June 1, 2012
Italian citizens form an underground revolt against their own fascist government. A masterpiece of realism and one of Rossellini's finest.
July 30, 2008
Brilliant and tragic. Roberto Rossellini has captured the reality of the German occupation of Rome.
February 9, 2012
At first I was mostly interested in the lighting and the use of over and under exposure. However, as the film played out, I became much more involved in the actual film. The Italians make some fine neo-realist films and this is one that should be included. I was surprised by the graphic nature of the torturing scenes in the end of the film and the dramatic execution of the priest. All of it added up to a highly important and successful film.
March 29, 2011
If you don't understand what they're saying through those long stretches of dialogue with no subtitles, don't worry, just fill in the blanks. After all, Italians are people too, they were probably just talking about the Yankees.
½ July 12, 2010
Barely 'post'-war, Open City was made just after the occupation ended. Classic portrayal of the Gestapo officer and the resistance, made by those who lived through it. I'm not normally a huge fan of neo-realism, but the excitement and tension of this film makes it a must-see. Good companion piece to Battle of Algiers.
½ May 23, 2010
first rossellini film ive seen, very effective wwii story told mainly from the pov of the people and not the generals, which i always like, all the acting is good, both italians and germans, it was quite noble and courageous what some of these people did for their country, even powerful
April 23, 2010
Open City is one of the most enduring and realistic movies I've ever seen. I saw it for the first time when I was 14 and it actually got me interested in the history of the time. Martin Scorsese does the film much better justice on his documentary "My Voyage to Italy" and all I can really say about it is that it's cinematic journalism at it's most heart breaking, in fact it even one ups that by manipulating the viewer in the most brilliant ways with the camera. A true original and a classic. Rossellini (the director) produced a true labor of love and it still shows.