20% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Open Water Reviews

Alex Tait
April 5, 2014
No tension, no horror, no thrills. Despite being only 79 minutes long, it is an absolute bore. It is two people floating around in water and getting eaten by a shark at the end. Zzzzzz.
March 10, 2014
"This movie I got to say that this movie really scared me half to death!" The performances in this movie are extremely intense. The directing and writer of the screenplay by Chris Kentis is full of intense terror! I got to say that the score in this movie was very creepy. And the effects are crazy good! "I'm raving that "Open Water" is one of terrifying True Story I have ever watch in my life!"
February 27, 2014
Simple plot, a tiny 500,000 budget, no big name stars, no bells and whistles! And yet it manages to frighten those who can imagine themselves in this terrifying situation! If you're like me and have a shark phobia to begin with then you'll have no trouble getting in touch with your inner fear as the tension and suspense mounts!

The fact that it's based on a true story makes it even more horrifying!
February 19, 2014
Suspenseful at times, but boring the most of the time.
Bribarian
February 8, 2014
Considering the majority of the movie is just watching the couple floating around, they did a surprisingly effective job making this movie. Predictable at times, but tense nonetheless.
January 10, 2014
Intense. I can watch it again and again.
christiancreativity
December 21, 2013
I remember watching a good number of movies out of my sister's VHS collection. One of those movies was Open Water. Now years later, with the power of Netflix, I thought I'd watch it and pump out a review. And I'll be honest, this morning I felt like shit. I felt sick, I needed like three bottles of water in a row, it wasn't good. Then watching this I feel a little better, because I'm not drinking ocean water for over a day. And I thought this was an okay movie. I thought I'd be going back, and bored out of my mind. And yeah, I was a little. It started, and I could see they were going for normal people for the main characters, and since it's based on a true story, that makes some sense. It starts, and the camera angles are kind of bugging it. It's just going in random places, and it doesn't look good, especially since the quality isn't good for a 2004 movie. Then later, I didn't mind. With how many shots are in the water, I'd kill for anything awkward later. And the plot can be piled up pretty quickly. Probably three sentences. Here's the first two. Two people in a couple are on vacation, and are going to be scuba diving. Things go wrong, and the boat leaves them there. There, that's two thirds of the entire movie. And I'm guessing the movie came from two things. One: since Jaws people have been scared shitless over the idea of sharks. And two: this one more of a guess, but this guy wanted a movie completely inside the paranoia, never leaving the characters who are likely to die at any minutes. And with that, it succeeds. And yeah, you would think watching two people drifting for hours on end would get boring. And it does. But those moments are a grey line on top of a stronger point, the point that they throw everything they can to make it interesting. And if it did things better, this could have been a great movie. But the characters are too real if anything. Sure they're relatable, but a movie thriving on fear is simply not enough. We like horror movie characters dying because we were attached to them, (well, some horror movies) and watching them go left and right is like bitch slap to the face after bitch slap to the face. But in the end it works. That feeling you get when you know the characters could die at any moment. Although this did get me on the edge of my feet, I was definitely thinking, "Well, they're not going to die." And sorry, everything until the end where they either are killed or rescued is a big tease. Sure it does what it can, but in the end there is not much you can do. The actors do feel real, and they do their part. Their dialogue is simple, and realistic. I felt for them (after they've been in the water for awhile) but as soon as your getting into it, the movie ends. It doesn't suddenly just end, but it ends pretty quietly, and you don't feel any slap to the face, more of a turning of the stomach. Sorry, but my movies I'd rather be slapped in the face. It's not that bad, in fact it's really good. It has a pretty damn good score on Rotten Tomatoes (Hey, for once I'm on the opposite side of the fence) and I can see it's appeal, but in the end I don't feel it stands alone for it's own thing. When I play open world games, I think, "Was that really worth the hours on hours I spend in this virtual world I just left?" When I watch a movie, I usually can easily say even if it's bad, it was worth the two hours. This is little over an hour, and I don't feel it did enough. Sure it's good as its own separate thing, but when I put it up to any movie with a higher score, it quickly falls. I didn't love the two characters, and although I cared, I wasn't entertained by them. The story is nonexistent, despite throwing as many things as you can. But in the end you feel about as nuances as them, and how I felt when I woke up this morning. There is little wrong with it, but what's good doesn't stand out. It's a harmless little movie. But there are harmless little movies I've gone into, and they turned out fucking amazing. Open Water plucks on the emotional strings, but doesn't really let them vibrate, just slams its hands down on it and makes anything it had going stop. I didn't hate the ending, but it was like, "Oh, well we're over. Peace!" I don't like those kinds of endings. At least other movies where it practically ends at the climax make them work, and makes what happened to before hand develop in your head, and you have closure. This had nothing like that, it just ended like, "Yep, that's it." It's a good movie to pass some time, but that's not what movies should be. It's a good movie to feel nervous or possibly a little scared at times, but movies are suppose to be more than that. I had no fun, and wasn't really scared that much. I wasn't moved all that much, and to be honest thought everyone would hate this movie. But no, they're saying it's average too good. And usually the movies they say are awful I think are just average, or even like a little bit. I felt even bad movies like the Happening had me more gripped, and cared more for the bad characters. But the Happening at least had that development, and that cold feeling when it was over. This, not really. It's just in the open water with me.
December 14, 2013
This movie is so boring and painfully obvious. I'm gonna spoil it for some folks. Basically, the whole plot is this: A man and a woman (supposedly a couple) decide to go on a cruise. Sometime during the cruise, they stop the boat for the passengers to explore the ocean. All of the sudden, our two characters get left behind and are drifting in the ocean for the remainder of the film. They eventually get eaten by sharks. That's the whole movie right there. Based on a true story? Come on. I think the critics were just being too generous. It's just another movie to add to the list of worst movies ever made. Don't waste your time. If you would like to watch a good survival thriller, watch "Life of Pi" or "127 Hours".
January 5, 2013
The shark stuff is truly scary, but that only accounts for about 12 minutes of the movie. And the rest ain't good.
Jacob P

July 5, 2011
The stupid version of "Jaws".
blkbomb
blkbomb

September 29, 2013
Daniel: Other people go on vacation and spend their days just laying around. We have a story we're going to be telling for the rest of our lives.

"Don't get left behind."

Open Water is a well done independent thriller. Supposedly based on actual events, but this event is something I'm not familiar with, so I have a hard time believing that this is even close to the real event. Nevertheless, I enjoyed Open Water a great deal. It may be the scariest(and when I say scary, I mean from the real life aspect of it) shark movie ever. It's a serious movie, that makes the viewer feel like they are floating around in the middle of the ocean.

A couple goes on vacation and decide to go diving on a reef tour. When the count is botched, they are left behind without notice. The rest of the movie is an excursion into the levels of human fear, panic, and insanity. All of it is done very well and I was left feeling claustrophobic even though the movie is set in the the most wide open of settings.

The acting isn't tremendous, but that isn't too big of a deal. Most of the embarrassing acting is in the beginning before the diving trip. In the panic and stress moments though, I think the actors did a fairly good job portraying the characters feelings. What sets the movie apart though is how atmospheric and dark toned it is, and just how real life it all feels.

Open Water is one of those shark movies you have to see. It's not a masterpiece like Jaws, but it is still one of the best. I think it's a completely underrated film that is deserving of much more admiration than it received. If you give it a shot, there's the possibility of finding a new hidden gem of filmmaking.
September 22, 2013
This movie is pretty much a psychological horror. You create the fear yourself. It's just two people in the middle of the ocean, so unless you're afraid of water, or shark fins on your tv screen, this really isn't a horror movie.
August 29, 2013
As a rule, I generally think that the first attempt at an innovative premise or concept is the best, or at least the most original... Chris Kentis's Open Water is one of the rare exceptions to that rule. Andrew Traucki's 2010 film The Reef is superior to this film in every conceivable way aside from maybe the realness of it. Don't get me wrong, Open Water isn't a bad movie by any stretch of the mind, it's actually better than most low budget horror films, it's just unfortunate that I saw The Reef first. There is a lot to like in this movie... The suspense is real, the cinematography top notch, and the way sharks are depicted possibly the best anyone has ever put on film.I was shocked when I realized that this movies biggest weakness was the thing I was looking forward to the most; it's art house direction. Though shot like a traditional art house flick, the connection between the audience and the characters involved never surfaces, and so most of the drama is never felt. Bottom line, this is a pretty good horror movie that I'd recommend to genre fans everywhere... But I should also reiterate just how good The Reef is. It may not have the art house look, but in the end, that's what made it a better film.
September 12, 2013
Low budget film but high and intense in execution.. Very disturbing knowing that it is based on a true story...
July 1, 2013
Open Water is a thriller that makes you feel lost in the vastness of the ocean with no sense of position or hope of rescue. The film has several suspenseful sequences in its brief run time, and the acting is well done enough that I am surprised more people don't watch it to see naturalistic acting in action. However, where the film falls apart is its shooting style which puts more emphasis on realism than fancy cinematography. This should have worked, had it not been for the director trying to have a traditional film rather than for the naturalistic one it could've been. A good film in it's own way, but it should've been better.
MixedBreed
July 21, 2010
For being based on a true story this was a pretty bad movie. The ending was a great way to end but they make this movie sound way more interesting than it is. A love a good shark movie but this was just so dragged out that after ten minutes I thought I had seen half the movie. It's up to you to watch it and rate it yourself.
September 8, 2013
a very different dive into the human psyche. however, not for everyone. Definitely blair witch on the water but if you liked blair witch project its worth a look
September 8, 2013
Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night from a nightmare in which you're left out in the waters of the Caribbean? If so, you probably do not need to see 'Open Water,' unless you'd like to relive that painful experience. 2003's surprise low-budget hit starring no-name actors (Blanchard Ryan and Daniel Travis) reminds audiences why sometimes it's what you don't see that is scarier than what's in plain sight. When the young couple go on a SCUBA excursion off the coast, human error causes them to be left behind - something no one could ever fathom happening to them. Of course, there are plenty of things that can go wrong in this scenario, and 'Water' explores pretty much everything during the course of its 79-minute runtime. The camera quality only adds to the frights, as the audience becomes absorbed in the action and begins to feel it's bobbing in the current just like the couple. It's to be expected that the acting is pretty limited, considering the plot, but the frustration and pain the actors endure is translated well onscreen. Many have complained about 'Water's conclusion, but there's an argument that can be made for originality, at the very least. It may not be a masterpiece, but 'Open Water' is a unique take on our fear of what lies under the sea.
September 6, 2013
Once you understand what Open Water is trying to do-make the viewer feel as though they are right there in the middle of the ocean with the two protagonists- you begin to realize just how chillingly effective it is
July 20, 2013
Absolute shit, camera work is terrible, shots are awful, completely irrelevant and ruins the atmosphere at times. I don't even know why I bothered to waste time on it, one of the worst suspense films ever, it's not even so bad that it's funny like Deep Blue Sea, it's just so bad it's like watching paint dry, except I'd rather do that than watch this again. The filmmaker, actors and producers should be ashamed to be associated with this film.