Open Water 2 (Adrift) Reviews

½ October 4, 2012
Much better than the first one, this has characters you can relate to and drama you can understand. Sure, they didn't come up with some great ideas for trying to get back onto the boat, but you never know how you'll act in their position. The ending was annoying, but I can look past that.
½ June 19, 2007
A bunch of people you don't like, make stupid decisions and put themselves in a lot of trouble. Then they more bad decisions and it gets worse and then that douche from Grey's Anatomy cries. There are a couple of moments that are well done, but overall meh.
Japes
November 14, 2010
Pretty lame movie actually. Very boring.

I hate movies with stupid characters, and this movie is nothing, but stupid characters doing stupid things. The fact that they all forgot to put the ladder down, was just so dumb. Then the fact that the main problem in the movie was them trying to figure out how to get back into the boat, was even dumber.

There's nothing I love more than watching a bunch of idiots try to get back onto a boat. They had some smart plans like using the inflatable whale, and tying their swimsuits together to make a rope. However the stupidity kicked in, when the only people trying to execute those plans were muscular, grown men. There's two functioning, slim women treading water right next to you, why on earth would you expect a rope made out of swimsuits or an inflatable whale to hold your weight??

The whole movie was pretty pointless. The lack of sharks was really disappointing also. The movie is pretty much about a bunch of people who tread water for days then complain about it. People get hurt and die, but not in very exciting ways. It's a huge letdown.
½ October 1, 2009
It?s not really open water 2, the production company only said it was because Open water was really good and this is shit. It?s a huge shame really because It?s such a brilliant, yet simple premise. A half descent writer could have made this film into a classic thriller, shit, I could have, my goldfish could have. I don't actually have a goldfish, but you get what I'm saying.
I wanted them all to die horribly and a lack of sharks was disappointing. Eric Dane is rapidly becoming my least favourite actor of all time. Adrift, annoying, like a crap that refuses to flush!
November 25, 2008
A rather tiresome film about a group of immensely dislikable, stupid, boring people who just took too long to die. The premise seemed to work in 'Open Water' (I wasn't aware that this film was billed as a sequel?? which doesn't make sense though the similarities are glaringly obvious) and you actually cared about the stranded couple in that efficient little suspenser. But this time around, the characters were so annoying I was only frustrated that I wasn't there to throw rocks at them.
November 25, 2008
This is not a sequel to Open Water. It is very similar and had the name Open Water stamped on it in the US for commercial reasons. I found Open Water to be fantastic. It was simple, riveting and intense. Adrift fails on most fronts. It becomes infuriating as characters are thick as shit. You've probably already thought of how you would get out of the water. Yet it's the last thing they try. Now I'm all for people acting crazy under extreme circumstances but Adrift goes way too far. Chucking the phone away out of anger? OK. Stabbing friends to stop them harming your boat despite the fact somebody is already critically injured? Ridiculous. It works for some of the time and is beautifully shot. Despite the simple premise it is never boring, but unlike Open Water the danger is far less engaging for anyone with half a brain.
March 23, 2008
This movie seems to get bad ratings because its always compared to the first, coming from someone who has never seen the first, I didnt think it was all that bad at all. It was based on true-occurences, was funny at parts, and had some real excitement.
Though it does stretch out too long, for what it is. There's only so much time you can watch people float around in water, and wonder if there going to survive. But, for what they had to work with - I dont see why its getting such bad ratings.
It's worth watching and provides some intense moments to kill out a day of boredom.
May 11, 2007
Better than Open Water as it is a bit more dramatic but seemed quite easy to get back on the boat eventually?
½ June 23, 2007
Three couples (and a baby) set out on a weekend cruise on a yacht in Mexico to celebrate a birthday. Central character Amy, who has feared water ever since witnessing her father's drowning as a child, will not join the others for a swim in the sea, preferring instead to tend to her baby, Sara. However, former childhood sweetheart Dan decides the best way for her to overcome her fears is for her to jump in, so picks her up and jumps over the boat and into the water with the other four adults. They soon realise that they forgot to lower the ladder, and are now stranded - adrift - in the ocean with no apparent way to get back on the boat, and the baby still on board. The hull is too slippery to climb, an attempt to tie bathing suits together to use as a makeshift rope fails, and passengers aboard a passing boat, blaring out music, fail to register that they're in distress. Released as Open Water 2 in some countries apparently merely to cash in on the surprise success of the original (the film was released as Adrift in the UK), the two films share a similar concept but the set up is different: they're both "based on true events", and both deal with people stranded in water, but whereas Open Water primarily dealt with potential attacks from sharks, apart from a false scare the greatest risks in this film are the elements, tiredness and stupidity - there's quite a few moments when I felt compelled to yell at the screen at some of the characters decisions. Also, whereas the first was shot for almost zero money and relied on Blair Witch style build up of atmosphere, Adrift features some beautiful cinematography and some fantastic aerial shots of the six characters treading water in a circle next to the hauntingly empty yacht. There are some problems with the film - the bickering between characters feels unrealistic given the situation and the slow motion sequence when Amy panic attacks when she is launched overboard kill the build-up and don't sit well with the otherwise docu-dramaish photography. The religious significance which is focussed upon in the final act seems out of place (though there is a surprisingly unsentimental moment earlier on, when, in desperation, bimbo character Michelle recites the Lord's Prayer), and though Amy's character arc is handled very well, it's also detrimental to the other characters who are all rather unsympathetic (and feature amateurish performances to boot). The film is still much better than I had been led to believe, and the chillingly ambiguous final shot sent shivers down my spine.
½ December 28, 2006
About as tense as it is tedious.
½ January 3, 2008
This is so stupid - it's excellent!
I mean come on, is someone stupid enough to forget letting down the ladder before jumping off, when clearly, no one is on the yacht to let the ladder down except the baby?! Mind you, the child is only a few months old >_< So they're all stuck out in the ocean beside the ladder-less yacht. HOW RETARDED IS THAT?!
I kept sighing and having facial spasms due to how ridiculous the situation all was. However, I found this quite enertaining and unlike most films out there. Well is someone an idiot enough to make a film out of this? Apparently so. And it actually works!

My only criticism is the acting which definitely needs some polishing. And maybe how the story unfolds since everything just descends into stupidity. But then again, it's the whole beauty of this film :P

Watch immediately and laugh your life away!
DrLappos
July 28, 2007
Watchable but ultimatley daft.
½ February 15, 2007
Ahoy! Crap movie straight ahead! Open Water was boring, had annoying characters, but at least had sharks, though they didn't do much with them. Well, this turd manages to take away the one cool thing about Open Water but keeps the boredom and adds 4 more annoying characters. No, make that 5 more annoying characters, I forgot the baby in the boat to increase tension. Thanks guys. Is the next Open Water going to be about a bunch of people whining in a pool about it having too much chlorine? Maybe they'll have a shark in the pool though, that'd be alright.
½ January 17, 2013
I read that this actually was written before "Open Water" came out, but they decided to just use this as a sequel, and I have to say, I was pretty bored at times with the first one, but at least the first one had sharks. How can you have a movie where people are stranded in the ocean in the water and not have SOME aquatic creature nibbling on someone. Overall, it suffers from a lot of the problems of the first one. It is what it is. People floating in water.
July 30, 2012
Not bad at first, but then half the characters get stupid, and the other half get annoying. And then you realize an hour in that despite this film being in the Open Water series, THERE'S NO GODDAMN SHARKS IN THIS FUCKING MOVIE!!! So stupid....don't watch this piece of shit.
½ March 20, 2009
This movie was not worth anything;Actress Susan May Pratt joins five other friends, on a yacht that is a death trap. First to think of, Why did these people not prepare, by having a ladder to climb? When they try to make a ladder with their clothes, they should have elected a lightweight female to go up.

They also panic and then act like a "chicken without a head". Being calm and cool is a major plus, to get out of a jam. What I still figure, is how they managed to be in the middle of the ocean without meeting any sharks. Jaws, this isn't. Nothing to rave about, here.
½ November 20, 2008
No, I did not learn my lesson after watching the first one. The only good thing about this one is the beginning has a little more story and less time with a bunch of people hanging around in the water. I really think that it is funny that they got themsleves dumped off their magnificent yacht and all died. HAHAHA!!!
January 18, 2009
I really like this movie, I'm not sure exactly why...but it fascinated me. How people can be so irresponsible without even realizing it, and how wrong things can go when you're put in a desperate situation. In an odd way, it reminds me a BIT of The Mist in that regard. Overall, I enjoyed it. Made me very nervous, but I like that in a movie. Yeah, it's a bit cheesy in parts, but so what? :)
June 27, 2008
This film is about 6 of the dumbest people on the planet. Not only are they too dumb to remember to drop the ladder on their luxury yacht, they are too stupid to be able to figure out how to get back in their boat. It's absurd to a spectacular degree and it's also horribly depressing - though it's difficult to care about any of the soul-less and brainless characters enough to be affected by it.
June 13, 2008
I watched the first Open Water and kinda sympathize with the people trapped in the water, but still a little hard to believe. But this 2nd Open Water come on so stupid this movie I found myself fast forwarding to see how the stupid people finally managed to get out of the water...a bad movie that got even worst