Opera Jawa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Opera Jawa Reviews

½ January 1, 2010
Very beautiful! Cultural and artistic! It's indeed slow but it just shows the culture of Javanese that is slow. What I like about this movie is that even though it is very artistic and focus more on visual then story, but the story is also going on very clearly. One may be confused with all the metaphors going on, but one would understand at some point what is going on (confusing huh?). Anyway, I don't really like the part that is combining the Hindu tradition and Javanese tradition. It is probably just because it is based on an Indian story, but however, Javanese are mostly Muslims. The whole Hindu thing made it look more like Balinese... Artika Sari Devi is a really good choice as Siti, she has this very Javanese exotic sweet face that I've always admired since she became Puteri Indonesia. Eko Supriyanto did the best job in the whole movie. I think he's a brilliant dancer and he really got into his role. I didn't give full 5 stars just because it is a little bit boring for me since it's very slow. I guess it's boring for most people, but it gets intense in the end. Overall, this movie is great and recommended especially for artists.
September 27, 2013
When classic javanesee musical theatre into a movie, STUNNING..!!
½ July 31, 2011
Beautiful Movie..!

Garin Nugroho is one of the best directors owned Indonesia!
the other films him is "Under the Tree"
very worth for the watch.
December 7, 2010
simbolismenya mantap, artistik!
½ March 30, 2010
Even as an Indonesian, i didn't wholly understand the symbolism within it, all i knew that it was a musical adaptation (no, don't expect Hollywood kind of musical, the whole dialogues are sung in Javanese traditional chanting, yes, a Javanese musical) of Ramayana. But overall it was quite an experience, love how the directors, Garin Nugroho puts social issues Indonesians have to face in their general life, such as poverty and interprets it beautifully in form of dances with gorgeous and evocatively enchanting cinematography. I would not recommend it to general viewers, but if you still want to watch it, do some research about the Abduction of Sinta from Ramayana and Indonesian culture. But if you love film as medium of art, you'll be pleased.
September 16, 2007
How Come Hollywood never called Garin Nugroho to direct one of it's movie? He could become the next Ang Lee, or better yet, created a whole new standard for independent directors.....or maybe he had!!!!