Stauffenberg (Operation Valkyrie) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stauffenberg (Operation Valkyrie) Reviews

½ June 27, 2009
The version I saw of this was badly dubbed. Not only that, the movie itself came off as very rushed. If a viewer was not familiar with Stauffenberg and the conspiracy he was involved in and they saw this movie... they would be confused. There wasn't a lot of explanation put into it. But beyond that... this movie could have piqued their interest on the subject... and made them want to do a little reading on it afterwards. But yeah... I was not fond of what I saw, this could have been better.
June 14, 2009
This German production precedes the Tom Cruise version and is more intriguing, but not as well produced. It's a good story, well told. Fine pacing and the acting is competent.
June 13, 2009
May 29, 2012
This foreign film was sooooo much better than the Tom Cruise version.
½ June 10, 2011
A million times better than the cesspool that is Hollywood's version of "Valkyrie" with the ever-boring Tom Cruise, this version tells the story of Stauffenberg's epiphany in a much more believable way, especially considering Sebastian Koch, one of the greatest German actors of modern time, did his research and pulled through with a very memorable performance of who we can only speculate was the real Claus von Stauffenberg.
½ July 3, 2011
Another great German flick.
January 15, 2011
The first five years of the war are tackled in 20 minutes. The CG is terrible. The girl recounting an act from the holocaust seems like she's acting in a one woman play. Etc.
May 17, 2010
In 1944, a group of high command officers plot an attempt against Hitler, and one of the leaders of the conspiracy, Stauffenberg (Sebastian Koch), goes to a meeting with the Fuhrer in charge of exploding the place. However, Hitler survives and the officers are executed. This unsuccessful operation was called "Valkyrie Operation", and this realistic movie discloses this true event.
April 29, 2010
una pena que es para la tele y se nota. con mas fondo que la de cruise, pero sin los medios que dispuso aquella. se ve con rapidez.
½ February 8, 2009
...I much preferred this 2004 German film version to the 2008 Hollywood version starring Tom Cruise.
½ February 7, 2010
Made four years prior to the L. Ron Cruise version, and clearly produced for German television, yet it almost effortlessly beats the 2008 one. Nearly anyone would have surpassed Cruise's formulaic performance, but Sebastian Koch not only gives a more convincing Claus von Stauffenberg due to being German and speaking it, he's simply an all around better actor. No wonder he's been in Black Book and Lives of Others, two of the most powerful foreign movies I've ever seen.

This Valkyrie does not have the Hollywood glitz that the other does, with a bunch of competent supporting actors turning a true story into yet another vehicle for Mr. Scientology to act the same way he always does, regardless of the role. Operation is stripped down, to the point and tackles the build up of tension in a different manner. It's less about Stauffenberg's bitterness over his injuries and simply going along with what others' approach him with. This Stauffenberg sees the horror that is being visited upon innocent people by order of Hitler, is disgusted by it and chooses to do something about it. It is mere chance that he came into the assassination plot circle, as he met one of the generals who espouses the same views in a mens room. Another different aspect is Stauffenberg's family, as his wife is exactly the opposite of supportive here rather than standing by him in Cruisery. It's not because she disapproves of his plans, but that she is upset that his sense of duty is overriding his dedication to her and their children. An understandable grievance.

The final half hour (it's only about 90 minutes) is where all of the build up explodes into the aftermath of what they thought was the successful assassination of Hitler, and the ensuing heartbreak that their plan failed.
November 5, 2009
Dissapointing as hell...Expected much more from this after watching Walkure..
½ July 8, 2009
"You know you're renting the one WITHOUT Tom Cruise in it?" the clerk asks.

"Yes, thanks" I replied.
½ June 27, 2009
½ June 19, 2009
Much better than the Operation valkyrie with Tom Cruise
June 14, 2009
June 13, 2009
May 6, 2009
It is increadible how close they were to stop the war, to dethrone Hitler, and how the one word said wrong can change or not change the history!
½ April 16, 2009
Don't let anyone tell you that there were never any conspiracies in the Western World. This is one of the biggest conspiracies of the 20th century which we know about. It's amazing that we even know that a group of German officers attempted to assassinate Hitler in 1944 and nearly succeeded. How many other events are there like this in the world that we haven't heard about? Probably quite a few. It's a very interesting case. Good documentary which is a good addition to your library if you already watched "Valkyrie"
½ March 22, 2009
felt more genuine than the Hollywood version but not as deep and not nearly as much tension