Orchestra Wives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Orchestra Wives Reviews

½ June 3, 2010
Great music and a light weight story add up to a pleasant diversion. The professional actors llike Ann Rutherford, Carole Landis and Cesar Romero all give enjoyable performances. Also a great movie for familiar faces that were just starting out like Jackie Gleason and Harry Morgan to pop in and disappear. Marion Hutton, Betty's sister, shows up as one of the band's singers and the resemblance is striking. As for Glenn Miller, as an actor he was a wonderful band leader and Tex Beneke who plays one of the husbands had a beautiful voice and a face just made for radio. None of it really matters at all though whenever the boys pick up their instruments and play it's magic.
February 6, 2013
The Glenn Miller Orchestra is THE reason to catch this WWII musical. miller's last film performance.
½ May 29, 2015
The plot is for the birds, but what a score! Glenn Miller & His Orchestra introduce "At Last," "People Like You and Me," "Serenade in Blue," and the Oscar-nominated "(I've Got a Gal in) Kalamazoo."
February 3, 2011
Am watching this presently and thinking it's a pretty good film. Has all the elements for a good drama, catty dialogue, good character actors doing their stuff quite well, and an awesome big band soundtrack. Not an unpleasant diversion!
March 11, 2005
Fun fun movie-watching this week :-)

[font=Comic Sans MS]*[i] [b]The Good Girl: [/b][/i]Well when this first came out I didn't want to see it and I didn't want to see it very much this time either but the lure of a movie night with my friends drew me in and I confess I'm glad. This is a surprisingly funny movie, I actually laughed out loud. Jennifer Aniston did a really good job in the role, making us laugh even as our hearts break for the roads her character chooses. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]* [b][i]Hatari![/i]:[/b]Yet another great John Wayne movie that is loads of fun. This movie's only goal is to leisurely chronicle one season in the lives of adventurers who capture animals for the zoo and circus trade. I completely dug the interlocking love interests as well as the relaxed good-natured mood of the movie. The chemistry of the ensemble cast is bewitching, particularly watching John Wayne fall reluctantly in love in a movie yet again. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]*[b][i]Orchestra Wives[/i][/b]: One of the quirkier aspects of my childhood was my love of the music of the Big Band era. My favorite was Glenn Miller's orchestra and many a night I went to sleep on their notes dreaming of dancing with some handsome blade. As a wee one infatuated with the era I learned that Glenn Miller and his entire band appeared in two movies [i]Orchestra Wives [/i] and [i]Sun Valley Serenade.[/i] Being an aspiring movie geek I made it a goal to see both of them only I could not find either! You might imagine my joy when 10+ years after the forming of my goal I finally got to see one but I must confess that though it was fun to finally see it, it is not what I would call a particularly good movie. The characters are one-dimensional stereotypes and neither Glenn Miller or his band members can act anywhere near as well as they can jam. Also, there was a disappointing lack of Glenn Miller music in the film. They didn't play any signature songs! Oh sure, there were tantalizing snippets but did they play an entire song? No! Basically the best part of this movie for me was the fact that I finally got to see it and for that dream and that dream alone do I refrain from giving this movie a rotten tomato. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]*[b][i]Back to School[/i][/b]: I had fun watching this movie and I enjoyed seeing Rodney Dangerfield in action. It was funny. Not especially realistic but eh who cares. [/font]