Ordinary Sinner Reviews

October 12, 2008
A superb, slightly over complex film about sexuality in various forms, the nature of truth, and the attempts people make, or don't make, to reconcile their own beliefs (moral and religious) in the face of adversity. Ordinary Sinner cleverly plays with viewers expectations, particularly in terms of character development; the various twists succeed thanks to exceptionally good casting in both lead and supporting roles, although the convoluted structure occasionally confuses things. Brendan Hines, Elizabeth Banks and Kris Park are all exceptional as the three friends. Over the course of the film their relationships are tried and tested as it appears events unfold around them - but they are intertwined in them in ways they don't all realize. Especially good is Hines, who gives a deceptively simple performance that makes his emotions easy to read, which in this case is important since things mostly take place from his POV. There's very good support from A Martinez and Jesse Tyler Ferguson (who I recognized from the cancelled sitcom The Class). Ordinary Sinner deserves to reach a larger audience as I'm sure it would resonate with many people (it only makes me more happy that I'm an athiest) - sadly, at time of writing, I'm only one of two people on Flixster who have rated the film, and the first person to write a review.