Living Hell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

3niR
½ January 25, 2010
Cheap, cheap, cheap.
½ July 20, 2009
A good first half with a good but quick set up.Only to be let down by a boring second half.Sfx are servicable but are abit ropey in a few sences.Acting is not bad for this kind of low budget movie.
½ November 25, 2013
Gah... When awful B-Movies take themselves seriously...

There's a couple of positive points sure. Johnathin Schaech (The Washingtonians, Prom Night [2008], Quarantine, Fear Itself: The Circle, Laid to Rest) in the lead has done some pretty cool stuff, Erica Leerhsen (above - Wrong Turn 2: Dead End, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [2003], Book of Shadows: Blair WItch 2) has too, and Terence Jay (Green Street Hooligans, Buried Alive) is always value for money. None of the actors were appalling, but these 3 stood out the most, and they didn't stand out all that much.

It's a pretty cool premise, though also one of the least original. Long ago military makes a secret virus/organism. Years later stupid guys who won't listen 'cause they're all big and tough let it out near a small, rural U.S. town, the main characters need to find a way to stop the army nuking the place and making everything worse.

Unfortunately when you get shafted with a low budget there's only so much you can do with it, and in plenty of instances the CGI suffers massively for it. But I mean come on, with a budget of $4,500,000 I'd think there could have been a liiiittle more effort put in. For the most part it's okay-ish, but there's a couple of scenes that are disturbingly terrible.

Living Hell lacks anything that can define it as worth watching any more so than the thousands of other dodgy B-Movie horrors made with little care out there. But if that's what you're into, may as well give it spin.

32%

-Gimly
½ September 25, 2011
I sorta liked it. It's got an awesome story, an some pretty descent acting if you ask me. The antagonist was the main thaing that I love about this film, though. I loved it!
October 6, 2011
I'm not entirely sure why I enjoyed this as much as I did, because it is not a particularly good movie. The effects are lacking, the script isn't very good, and it isn't the most groundbreaking story. That said, there is something strangely effective about it, particularly the first half.

I think what elevates it a bit is its atmosphere. It does have a fairly creepy vibe. The idea of the U.S military loosing track of all its Cold War projects is intriguing, and it is utilized pretty effectively. The actors are as good as they can be with the wooden script their given. The creature is an interesting concept as well, as it sort of breaks away from the traditional creature feature.

The second half tends to drag, but not to the point of complete standstill. Overall, a pretty decent little low budget horror movie that steps outside the norm for such films.
December 6, 2011

January 9, 2011
This was mildly entertaining at best, and the plot was incredibly overdone. It was watchable, mostly, but don't expect to see anything new or innovative. Also, the effects are typical of a low-budget film, so if that's not your thing, definitely skip this one.
½ November 27, 2009
After watching this, I just have to wonder how much blood one man has? A very poor science fiction film that has been done over hundreds of times in almost the exact same way. No new territory explored here. This was kind if painful to watch as boring explanations and boring dialogue was spewed. Schauch wasn't so bad, but Leerhsen seemed out of place with this role. The cast that was used as townspeople were downright horrible. A cool scene here and there, but this is a boring and bad film that gets worse the longer it plays.
February 28, 2009
I rented this movie on Netflix, never having heard or seen anything about it,
even though it was released in 2007. It begins in a suspenseful manner, and
has a story line somewhat similar to films like The Andromeda Strain. On an
Army base in New Mexico, a biological experiment from 1958 that has no
known antidote has been sealed in a vault since then, and the grown son
of the late scientist who created it, upon hearing the base is being demolished,
tries to alert them to where it may be, so as not to inadvertently release it.
Instead, after hearing his warning, they naturally decide to reopen it and all
hell breaks loose. The film is well done for a movie not distributed, to my
knowledge, and the effects, while similar to other sci-fi and horror films, are
reasonably good. Unfortunately, the solution to this dilemma seems too
simplistic and facile, and is figured out too easily and early, leaving the last
20 minutes predictable and hence not very exciting or believable. Still, if
you are in the mood for a passable, little known sci-fi, you could do a lot
worse.
July 19, 2008
To be honest, this little straight to DVD, B-horror film wasn't all that bad. Johnathon Schaech (whose come a long way from singing the That Thing You Do song) stars as a teacher trying to unlock the mystery of his mother's insanity and eventual suicide by making sure a vault in a closing military base stays undisturbed. What he fails to realize is that his very presence spikes the ever so ignorant curiosity of man and thus, the vault is opened a tank with a mangled body is found, and finally The Ruins has made it to smalltown, USA as it engulfs the Earth and anything that crosses it's path. Surprisingly, the special effects are only bad in some parts, the acting is moderately decent, and we even get to see some Erica Leerhsen titties (which we haven't seen come out since the second Blair Witch if I'm not mistaken) in a completely unnecessary and silly sequence. Not a bad 90 minutes to waste on a weekend afternoon. Decent film.
July 3, 2008
This is one movie I couldn't wait for it to be over. Actors just made me want to punch myself in the face! CG effects were just awful so fake looking! One scene right at the end was total green scene when running back into the miltary base...just terrible! I do have to admit the final scene seemed where all the time and money went into the special effects, good job at the end!
½ May 31, 2008
Solid low budget horror movie, great pacing, good story, genuine creepiness and fine acting. The special effects are so-so, but overall the film is tense and exciting.
½ November 25, 2013
Gah... When awful B-Movies take themselves seriously...

32%

-Gimly
Robbanflix
July 1, 2008
This horror sci-fi movie was pretty decent. Not many famous faces tho and with a lower standard of effects etc .. more like a tv flick it felt time to time. But overall its an watchable movie with some likeness of "The Mist" kinda.
½ April 19, 2013
This was pretty good for what it was. If you go watch this expecting a masterpiece of sci fi or horror, you're going to be very disappointed. Take it for what it is you might be pleasantly surprised. Its a solid piece of sci fi cheese with some pretty decent virus creature effects. The acting is decent enough and wasn't bored anywhere in this whole movie. A step up above the usual sci fi channel movie.
December 16, 2012