Original Gangstas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Original Gangstas Reviews

July 2, 2009
The great cast is the reason I rated this what I did. It managed to capture (some) of the fun and charm of a blaxploitation pic from the 70's, which I totally appreciated. Definitally a surprising film, worth checking out for fans of any of the cast members.
½ February 4, 2009
When former NFL star John Bookman returns to his hometown, he's disgusted with the fact that the local gangs now running the place are taking their "ganging" so very lightly. Drive by shootings you say? How sad - bookman prefers an old school beating with a baseball bat. Bookman sets out to take back the streets with the help of the locals and a few of the other "original Rebels." The film is an obvious attempt to recapture the magic of the 70's blacksploitation films. For the most part, it fails. If you're a fan of those old films, you would think this one would work as well, it has all the necessary pieces. Fred Williamson, Jim Brown, Pan Frier, Richard Roundtree, goofy violence, corny fist fights, screwy characters, and a script that pays no attention whatsoever to that kooky little word, reality. Despite having all the right pieces, the movie still doesn't work. Replacing that kitchy 70's feel with a 90's not yet kitchy, and more annoying feel just doesn't feel right. "Saved By The Bell" meets "Coffey" was never going to work, no matter how good the intentions of the filmmakers. Skip this one, and watch "Hammer" instead.
January 18, 2009
Realy likeable, sporting a dream cast. While not as good as many of the films that came before it, it's still realy cool and I love seeing semi-realistic gang violence dealt with the ultimate elder statesmen. Watching the greats teach these stupid kids a lesson is very satisyfing.
November 5, 2008
all people that think the new getho life is cool should watch this.
September 16, 2008
tough call on this one, just not sure
August 27, 2008
bon alors je l'ai vu et je m'attendais à mieux quand même.
Bon c'est tres bon mais je trouve qu'il n'y a pas assez de jus de couille, pas de sang, pas de sadisme, pas assez vigilante et trop de bonne morale douteuse, du genre on va faire la paix en butant des gosses, j'aurais été plus charmé si ça aurait été vraiment jusqu'auboutiste et bien plus ambitieux au niveau réalisation et scénario.
Bien mais trop sage à mon gout.
June 1, 2008
Cool movie it had some pretty tight action scenes and really up there with Scarface and Boyz N The Hood
April 12, 2008
YOU DONE F***** UP OLD MAN.
½ September 24, 2006
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
February 28, 2008
The movie is good if you like lots of unrealistic action and car explosions from automatic weapons. Fred Williamson and Jim Brown kick ass.
February 28, 2008
a really good low budget action flick starring two football greats that beat the stew out of everyone that steps in their way of righting the wrongs they created in their hood
February 28, 2008
This movie is awesome. I wish I could give it six stars. I will really not entertain any debate on the greatness of this movie other than: great movie or greatest movie?
½ February 28, 2008
hot movie that is so real m i loved it a lot
½ January 25, 2008
Blaxploitation reuinion of some BadassMofo's...Sentimentality out of a gunbarrell...
½ December 11, 2007
This movie is a solid three-star film. The additional half has been added due to a personal bias given those involved with the construction of this homage to 70s exploitation/crime films. Fred Williamson, Pam Grier, Jim Brown, and Richard Roundtree share the screen as "asskickers" taking down a younger, less respectful version of The Rebels; a gang all the aforementioned started and ran in the 1970s. To improve matters even more, the film hires Robert Forster to play the nobler white detective, and gives the director's chair to exploitation guru, Larry Cohen. Fantastic low budget action including real explosions and plenty of hand-to-hand combat involving Fred Williamson are incapable of fulling rescuing a somewhat preachy film sporting a style reminiscent of Black Caesar (courtesy of Cohen) that is sadly abandoned halfway through.
November 15, 2007
if dad didnt make me watch i would of missed out on so much.
½ November 23, 2007
I got a kick out of it!
November 22, 2007
old folks trying to be bad
October 11, 2007
I liked it. It's basically Fred Williamson & Jim Brown beating the shit out younger & more athletic guys but it's pretty cool just seeing them kick ass. Overall, pretty unrealistic but who said a movie has to be realistic anyway? Williamson has his signature cigar, which is always a plus.

Overall, pretty entertaining. Not too violent. A nice little blaxploitation all-star flick directed by Larry Cohen.

Could've used more Richard Roundtree though.
November 16, 2007