• R, 1 hr. 51 min.

The Original Kings of Comedy Reviews

Chiefilms
Chiefilms

April 22, 2010
I don't know why Spike Lee directed this but it's hilarious, all up in Charlotte.
jagfire
jagfire

March 8, 2008
I've never seen so many fat black chicks laughing at one time in one crowd. Also I only laughed hard at one joke during the entire DVD, and that was Hughley's "two week notice" bit. Steve Martin's rant about today's rap music was pretty spot on though.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
funny but a little too racist
toejambaseball24
toejambaseball24

July 20, 2007
Funny funny stuff.
June 24, 2013
Baffled by the good reviews.

Four comedians, same four topics:

1. How "country" and unsophisticated their black audience must be there in the Carolina show.
2. The importance of having a strong grandmother, preferably who periodically hits you.
3. How their music (old school) is superior to newer, black music. Well, we agree on this, but that's not the point.
4. How white people look terribly uncomfortable at the concert. Gee, I wonder why?

Honestly, there was a fifth topic they all beat to death, but I can't recall it, and won't rewatch the video.

If you want to see genius comedy, catch Eddy Murphy's 1987 concert "Raw." He was 26, and absolutely a master of the game. The Kings are the masters of a very small country that interests me not.

(Posted the same review on Netflix.)
June 29, 2012
So according to Spike Lee, black people (and only black people) created stand-up comedy...there's a shocker. These 4 men have a legacy and are very funny, but this is more bias work than informative art.
brandankurtis
December 28, 2010
If you're looking to pee your pants laughing, then this is the movie for you. Spike Lee is a genius no matter what anyone says. This happens to be one of my favorite movies in the world. You couldn't ask for a better line-up. I had a new found respect for each of these comedians after watching this movie. I strongly recommend you buy this movie. It is worth every penny. If I have to add any criticism, I would say that Cedric "the Entertainer" could have been a little funnier. However, he still gave a great memorable show. After watching his act, you'll understand why they call him "the enteratiner. Awesome movie no matter what the critics say.
LaurenceJMoquinJr
August 4, 2009
Lacking the center of having one solid storyteller/comedian (i.e. Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy) in front of the camera and audience- it's about as much fun as one could have watching, second hand, a comedy show.
April 17, 2009
I saw this movie 4 times in theaters (my personal record), then 3 more times on bootleg vhs from the flea market. I then bought the dvd and watch it every time it is on comedy central. Hilarious!
February 13, 2009
This movie was funny but I was there and the live show was well LIVE. R.I.P to Bernie Mac. We sure do miss you.
mrlawan
January 10, 2009
Steve Harvey really ruined this movie, all the other comedians were much funnier he was the weakest link
trinabell67
October 25, 2007
truly the three kings of comedy...no offense but DL wasn't that funny. sorry...but the comedy rocked.
September 21, 2007
Not really that funny. That title is questionable. Half of the guys I would consider the "original" kings of comedy are dead, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Bill Cosby. Now that would be a fucking amazing movie.
dharp3r
July 31, 2007
After seeing this movie, I wouldn't call it the Kings of Comedy. Bernie Mac's performance was legendary but the other three didn't measure up, esp. D.L. Hughley(he's just not funny to me).
xoxoxSPOILEDxoxox
June 1, 2007
sometimes i prefer this movie and sometimes i prefer the queens of comedy. i guess it just depend on how i feel
TinaMalfoy
May 21, 2007
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!! I LOVE IT!! ILOVE IT!! THIS IS SO DAMN FUNNY THIS MEN HAVE YOU LAUGHING FROM START TO FINISH AND THEN LEAVES U GOING OH HELL NAH ITS OVER ALREADY!! I LOVE WHEN STEVE DOES THE TITANIC PART AND WHEN HE DOES THE MUSIC!!! THOSE ARE JUST AWESOME MOMENTS!!! I WISH THEY HAD IT IN GERMANY!!! DAMN THE GERMANYA AT THIS MOMENT!! LOL
everydaywarrior
May 20, 2007
Sit through the Steve Harvey and Cedric the Entertainer for the Bernie Mac set. It's worth the wait, Just for his impression of a 4 year old.
dontaytabron
May 3, 2007
Already seen it and it is funny as hell. I want to see it again. Anybody that watches this is gonna laugh and if they don't they just can't hear.
neka97
March 20, 2007
I laughed until I lost my breath...If white people move to the moon then you know black people will be there...