Oscar and Lucinda (1997)
Average Rating: 6.7/10
Reviews Counted: 32
Fresh: 21 | Rotten: 11
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 7.9/10
Critic Reviews: 8
Fresh: 7 | Rotten: 1
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.4/5
User Ratings: 5,286
Australian director Gillian Armstrong directed this Laura Jones adaptation of Peter Carey's 1988 Booker Prize-winning novel. In a lengthy flashback, Oscar Hopkins' great grandson (Geoffrey Rush) narrates the family history that led to his birth. On an Australian farm, Lucinda Leplastrier was tutored by her intelligent mother, a woman who took part in the early feminist movement. Oscar's lonely boyhood in rural England was under the watchful eye of his preacher father. At Oxford to train as a
Dec 31, 1997 Wide
Jan 11, 2005
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Rev. Dennis Hasset
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Fiennes and Blanchett have a special magic and air of giddy humor about them when they are together.
Poetic and poignant film about two oddballs who are destined to meet and to fill each other with delight.
After a promising opening, the film meanders so much I thought it would never end.
a beautifully observed, wildly unpredictable period piece that's part bittersweet comedy, part adventure and altogether enchanting.
Audience Reviews for Oscar and Lucinda
- Oscar Hopkins: For years I have gambled and took what I needed and gave the rest to the poor. I gambled for a purpose. There was no sin in what I did. But when I had all my needs paid for, I still could not stop... even when I promised God.
- Lucinda Leplastrier: We shall make a pact.
- Oscar Hopkins: We shall?
- Lucinda Leplastrier: To never gamble again. I promise I shall never invite you to a game of cards or any other form of gambling. And we shall keep it and be friends.
- Narrator: Oscar had tasted the pudding. It did not taste like the fruit of Satan.
- Oscar Hopkins: I dare not hope, and yet I must that through this deed I gain your trust.
Discuss Oscar and Lucinda on our Movie forum!