OSS 117: Rio ne répond plus (Lost in Rio) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

OSS 117: Rio ne répond plus (Lost in Rio) Reviews

½ December 25, 2010
What is best about this French comedy is its delicious '60s visuals with those clumsy zooms and split-screens, and, while the laughs are not so plentiful, the story has many inspired nonsensical moments and this is a fun spoof on the 007 series and spy movies in general.
March 5, 2012
This pre-dates the fame of Jean Dujardin in America, but was a breakout role for the comedy actor from France. In the sixties and seventies there were a string of French spy films with a male protagonist named OSS 117, who is now featured in this second film of the new series as a complete clod in comparison. In this film, such as Peter Sellers turn as James Bond in Casino Royale, OSS 117 is reworked as slightly bumbling. More so than that he is misogynistic, racist, and playfully arrogant and ignorant. Unlike a low budget parody film this was actually shot in relatively beautiful locations, with actual cinematography and principal photography to boot. It utilizes many forms of split screen, and is a finesse of French cinema, not only as an ode but as an actual spy film. What also sets it apart from the crass American counterparts such as Spy Hard and The Naked Gun, is that this film actually holds more than comedy, but an air of sophistication and restraint. Better than that, while the usual spy parodies have a makeshift cast of people who are truly enthralled by this uncouth person, this film lets the Israeli Mossad romantic lead hold her own amongst the male spies. She outright points out his faults and tells him about them in as mean a way as possible. Dujardin is in his own league here, as he maneuvers between likable and downright repulsive. His scenes are usually full of bandying about words that are intentionally offensive, while also being goofy and lovable in some respects. The villains are unbelievable, the storyline is epic yet ridiculous, and the shots of the film really resonant and bewilder with how amazing they are for the content. Beside that there is actual humor that relates to American sensibilities and somehow mimics the parody films of Leslie Nielsen. The only reason I didn't fully love it is that it doesn't always translate well, and my comedic choices are usually not as suave and as witty as this, so for myself it was a different kind of experience. Still, this is a delight and is worth our attention.
April 14, 2011
Jean Dujardin is absolutely perfect in the role of the charming, quintessential French spy of the 1960s, OSS 117. Lost in Rio is slightly weaker in wit than its predecessor Cario: Nest of Spies, but I suspect that has much to do with the French-language jokes not translating to English so well.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ December 31, 2009
James Bond spoof, well, actually direct spoof of another french movie spy also called OSS 117, but the spirit is the same. It portrays the character just as the Bond archetype is, but without any glamorous touches: a racist, misogynist, a smug idiot with a suit and a gun. Ignorant and stupid, only interested in screwing women and looking cool in every possible situation. A bufoon that confuses "personality" with acting like a jerk. But yet, OSS 117 is not a bad man and actually ends up being a rather charming bufoon. Jean Dujardin could not be any more perfect in the main role, the supporting cast is equally great, the jokes are funny, the homage to old spy flicks is spot on, the script is clever. I should kick myself for watching this just until now, can't wait for more films on the series, this being the second.
½ July 26, 2012
Jean Dujardin is as great as he was in the first. It's not as laugh-out-loud hilarious as the first because the humor isn't as surprising. It's sad to see Berenice Bejo leave the cast because she was so charming as the Bond girl because Louise Monot really doesn't even come close. The laughs are spread out a little more this time around, so it feels well paced. OSS 117 isn't the kind of film you should take seriously because it's very obvious that it was meant to be silly and make fun of the average spy film, which it does very well. Even with its flaws, Lost in Rio is just as fun as the first.
Harlequin68
½ July 9, 2010
In "OSS 117: Lost in Rio," it is 1967 and Professor Von Zimmel(Rudigler Vogler), a former Nazi, is blackmailing the French government with a list of former collaborators. He wants 50,000 francs to be delivered by the their best agent, Hubert Bonisseur de la Bath(Jean Dujardin) to Rio de Janeiro. Once there, he is almost killed but his worthless hide is saved by his pal Will Trumendous(Ken Samuels) of the CIA. A meet is set to exchange the money and the list which turns out to be a trap. This time, he is saved by Mossad agents who want Von Zimmel brought to trial. They assign Colonel Dolores Koulechov(Louise Monet) to partner with Hubert.

Since this is May, there must be sequels and the humorous, retro "OSS 117: Lost in Rio" will be the first in a long line over the summer. But if you have not seen the first one, let me explain. OSS 117 is lind of like Jack Bauer in that they are both neanderthals who are wanted dead by about a billion Chinese, give or take a few. By the sixties, OSS 117 is increasingly out of date and blithely ignorant while having another chance to explore his latent homosexuality. Ironically, it is the hippies who are in the right. Still, he is not completely useless as he finds a clever way to work his way out of a jam in an elevator. And as far as the movie goes, he did not start the Six Day War but this is also up for debate. A soliloquy from "The Merchant of Venice" and a great sight gag involving a candied apple do prove there is a brain here and the subjects of French collaborators and Nazis in South America are real enough to ground the movie in some kind of reality.(It should be mentioned that "Soap" had the best ever Nazi in South America joke.) However, there is no reason for the movie to rifle through Hitchcock's closet, even if it does provide a couple of exciting set pieces. And it should have given more for Dolores to do than just stand around looking pretty in clothes last seen in Matt Helm movies.
neumdaddy
½ July 9, 2010
Fun, irreverent, visually pleasing, and often hilarious. It's paced well for a Connery-esque French Bond parody, mixed with wonderful slapstick, humorous awkwardisms galore, and an ode to Hitchcock on the Christ The Redeemer statue in Rio. It went out of its way to feel like a movie made in the late 60's -- no easy feat, considering how many finer details it nailed -- successfully recreating a world that added a great layer to the funny.

It's at times a little too irreverent, but the film pulls you back in with one of Hubert de la Bath's (OSS 117) infectious fits of laughter. As for his frequently near-racist remarks, this was played well by making OSS 117 more a cluelessly ignorant buffoon than anybody genuinely mean-spirited. And the other characters in the movie seemed to recognize that as he casually offended the bloody hell out of them. OSS was redeemable as a legitimate spy beyond all this, though,, as we see moments of clever misdirection, fierce gunplay, and (hilarious) Mexican wrestling prowess that inform the audience that he's not your garden variety dolt. This is a clear contrast to the abysmal MacGruber, which leaned too heavily on its R-rating for obnoxious and character-sacrificing foibles. On the other hand, fortunately, OSS 117 reminds me of its invisible gunfire: even when it's frequently missing, it's hitting.
½ March 8, 2010
Another fun adventure from the ridiculous OSS 117. I didn't find this film to be as good as "Le Caire: Nid d'espions" but it was still an amusing romp with the expressive Jean Dujardin.
½ December 21, 2012
Silly yet throughly entertaining, "OSS 117: Lost In Rio" is a fun romp into a spy filled spoof. A pleasant performance by Jean Dujardin raises the question why there are more Bond films and less of OSS 117.
June 9, 2012
Funnier, and all around more entertaining than the first one. I really admired Dujardin's dedicated performance and the direction for all the sets and cinematography and camerawork really show Michel Hazanavicius' love for movies of the era that this one takes place.

You may not laugh at all the jokes and the fact that it's french may turn off some viewers, but it will no doubt keep you entertained all the way through and you would want to see what happens at the end.

An enjoyable film.
March 31, 2012
On of the most hilariously entertaining films I've seen in a long time. Jean Dujardin leads a comical performance in what is now my favorite satirical spy film.
February 17, 2012
The French are not funny. What sells this movie is Dujardin's charm and carisma that is the same stuff that is more readily apparent in The Artist.
January 21, 2012
I hope Jean Dujardin wins an Oscar for The Artist based solely on me having seen both OSS 117 movies and having the strong belief that he is the greatest actor of our time. Honestly, there is no other person that oozes as much charisma as this guy, even when he's saying really outrageous things. Also, his character in these movies should win an award for the best laugh of all time.

What is this movie? It's basically part two of the best spoofs ever made on the 'secret agent' archetype. Why do I think these are the best of the 'secret agent' spoofs? Because not only are these movies funny but they also truly capture the essence of old school James Bond, remaining classy and cool. On top of this they stand alone and work with or without prior knowledge of what they are spoofing. Coming from someone who hasn't seen many James Bond movies, I find these to be awesome and funny and in no way needing knowledge of who James Bond is or really anything about any secret agent at all.

The one thing I do have to say is at one point the Israeli lady says that she doesn't like OSS 117's style and well, I don't agree with her. The mans style is so fresh. I actually have made a conscious decision to dress like him when I have money and wear suites all the time.

So this review has probably told you nothing but what I'm getting at is, if you like to just watch classy people with fun music and secret agent stuff that is very accesible and cool and funny and has lots of beautiful ladies well then, this movie is awesome and you should watch it. The end.
December 8, 2011
A French spoof of, well, a lot of things; but primarily James Bond and Alfred Hitchcock. The film reproduces the look and much of the style of movies of the mid-Sixties and does so masterfully. The film parodies the style but hews closely enough that it could easily be just an extreme example of an actual Sixties film. The protagonist is cheerfully oblivious to his obliviousness in the way of Peter Sellers' Clouseau and pretty much any character played by Will Farrell but in a film with wit and intelligence beyond any mainstream film Farrell has appeared in.
May 31, 2011
Absolutely hilarious. This is one of the best spy spoofs I have ever seen and so true to the era. The humor is certainly not what one would call politically correct, but it had me laughing from beginning to end. This is a great flick and a much watch to anyone fond of the genre.
January 2, 2011
a bit too cheesy, though the spoof-acting is quite good. Still, je prà (C)fà (C)rerais un agent des services secrets français sur une chinoise, allemande, amà (C)ricaine ou le Mossad tous les jours.

I was quite tickled by the 60s fashion and the multiple panels showing the same thing.
January 2, 2011
Here you get more of the same...Bond meets Pink Panther meets Get Smart...with a tiny touch of Austin Powers...but unlike other sequels where it is just way too much of the same...this was just as funny and maybe a little bit more - It may have been the different location and cast but along with Jean Dujardin's delivery and screen presence it all seemed pretty fresh - So fresh in fact you could watch either one of these movies first and not know the order other than seeing the dates presented in the movies - If you are a fan of any of the above you shouldn't miss either of the OSS 117s...good stuff!
June 2, 2010
Over the top silliness, but so funny, is worth to watch. The first one was better but not by much. I just love that 117 has no concept of being PC!!!
April 4, 2010
The joke wears a bit thin this go round in this sequel to the hit 2008 French spy spoof, "OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies," in which the boorish, cluelessly insensitive OSS 117 is sent to Brazil to track down an escaped Nazi. He is joined by a beautiful Mossad agent, hoping to bring the Nazis back to Israel to stand trial. The novelty is pretty much gone, but OSS 117's self absorbed antics are still good for a few cheesy laughs.
½ December 25, 2010