An Early Look at Boleyn's Girls

Summary

Movies about 16th-century royal intrigue are normally anathema to non-female American audiences, so when casting its adaptation of Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl, Columbia smartly signed Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson in the movie's lead roles. The gambit seems to have worked, because JoBlo is reporting on its first look at the film's poster. Back to Article

Comments

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

Couldn't they find actual English stars who can talk with actual believable English accents?

Aug 7 - 06:21 AM

pmazun

carlos morales

umm portman is english tar

Aug 7 - 08:39 AM

skasforfags

Andy Grant

She was born in Israel and has never lived in England, and now resides in NY. Yes I looked it up on IMBD, but your comment looked wrong and I had to refute it.

Aug 7 - 08:57 AM

CHG

Cecil Grandoff

I seem to remember a similar statement involing the casting of a British girl to play one of the most famous women in American literature. The actress was Vivien Leigh and the character was Scarlett O'Hara. The rest is history.

Oct 15 - 07:59 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Does anyone know if they can do good British accents?

And yay for Eric Bana!

Aug 7 - 07:33 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

I think I'll stick to watching The Tudors on Showtime. Great show.

Aug 7 - 07:38 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

Natalie Portman's accent was not all that great in V For Vendetta... not sure about Johansson.

Aug 7 - 08:20 AM

pmazun

carlos morales

umm portman is english tar

Aug 7 - 08:39 AM

skasforfags

Andy Grant

Aug 7 - 08:57 AM

skasforfags

Andy Grant

Aug 7 - 08:57 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Yikes, that cover/poster is terrible! The Photoshop work is just bad.

Aug 7 - 09:28 AM

witherwings

Jamie Lynn

Scarlett's okay at accents; I think she'll be able to handle it. Natalie? We all saw V for Vendetta. Halfway there. Maybe she'll be all there for this one.

Aug 7 - 09:39 AM

ksellnow

Kelsey Sellnow

ARE YOU SEROUS!! Apparently, you didn't pay attention in history class!! Anne Boleyn (changed from Bullen when the family began to rise and gain power, I might add) is famous for wearing the B necklace. Ugly Betty just decided to copy it. Now, I was a fan of the movie, but there were a few things wrong. First, I can't believe that they would use the same necklace that the character of Betty has on in "Ugly Betty!" That's a mishap on the part of the costume designer. That style of necklace (although traditionally wore by Anne Boleyn) is now know as the necklace for Ugly Betty, and I'm not sure that the vast majority of people that have seen the movie did not know that that was actually Anne Boleyn's necklace. Second, it didn't follow the book, much less the real history of what happened with the Boleyn's and Henry VIII. Lastly, the movie took too long to start and flew past at the end.

All in all, a pretty good adaptation of the story. Now we get a taste of what went on and if people are interested and pay attention, they just might learn a little history (ever if it is not exactly correct) while watching this movie! Scary, isn't it?!

Mar 17 - 06:45 PM

larrygreg

Greg Bradley

Does Natelie Portman have on Ugly Betty's necklace?
(http://abctvstore.seenon.com/detail.php?p=12075&v=abcugbjso)

Aug 7 - 10:27 AM

hsheffield

helen sheffield

No, Ugly Betty has on Anne Boleyn's necklace (documented in a famous portrait of Anne)

Feb 18 - 05:57 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

I'll be going to this one, end of story.

Aug 7 - 10:38 AM

Azlam Orlandu

Azlam Orlandu

Who cares about accents? Scarlet Portman = drool

Aug 7 - 12:37 PM

Greenmooncheese

Charlotte Hudson

Anne Boleyn was married to Henry VIII, not Henry VII. I think Natalie Portman is a pretty good choice for Anne.

Aug 7 - 04:00 PM

Drew914

Andrew Viloria

There's just four things I want to see in this movie...

Aug 7 - 06:10 PM

Drew914

Andrew Viloria

There's just four things I want to see in this movie...

Aug 7 - 06:15 PM

Crystal77

Crystal Guilbeau

This should be better than Shotimes Tudors. They may have the accents down but they are so far off on historical facts it makes me cringe. The book was great, can't wait for this movie to release.

Oct 13 - 05:57 PM

CHG

Cecil Grandoff

Oct 15 - 07:59 AM

CHG

Cecil Grandoff

The only concern I have about the casting is Eric Bana as Henry VIII. He is a wonderful actor and I'm sure he can handle the accent but he just doesn't fit the historical and visual appearrance of Henry VIII. If anyone read the book, I am totally dismayed at the casting of Mary Boleyn's 2nd husband. His discription in the novel conjures up no less than a "man's man". A tough and handsome man afraid of nothing, with calloused hands and hard, thick body. He is going to be played by an actor named Redmayne, who may in fact be a good actor but is almost androgenous looking and has played a gay man in 2 major productions. Elizabeth(HBO) Elizabeth: The Golden Age. The character of William Stafford would have been better served by someone like Daniel Craig, Kevin McKidd or Ray Stevenson.
That's All

Oct 15 - 08:18 AM

hoothoo

Cindy Epps

No, Anne Boleyn always wore a necklace with the letter B on it.

Nov 6 - 05:06 PM

spacedog76

Tania D

Anne Boleyn may have worn a B, but the costume director should have known better than to give her Ugly Betty's B necklace--which she wears in EVERY episode! I saw the trailer for this and just couldn't take it seriously with Betty's necklace staring me in the face! Who was the idiot stylist for the movie?!

Nov 17 - 07:45 PM

carrieanne

Carrie Quarrier

Anne Boleyn didn't just wear a necklace with a B pendant, she wore THAT one. Well, not that same necklace, of course, but the same design. Google Anne Boleyn, almost all of her portraits feature that same necklace. I have no idea why Ugly Betty wears the same one, which strikes me as just odd. But Anne famously wore that necklace and almost every depiction of her features it, so it would strike me as odd if she didn't in this one.

Nov 24 - 08:41 AM

carrieanne

Carrie Quarrier

Nov 24 - 08:41 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus