• R, 1 hr. 40 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1

Our Idiot Brother Reviews

Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Review coming to my blog
Anthony L

September 30, 2013
Maybe it is because the film was poorly advertised and completely mis-sold that I found it a big surprise, I think it helped, but I really liked My Idiot Brother. It's not preachy and nor does it attempt any subliminal lessons (or obvious ones for the matter). I laughed quite a few times but the humour is generally subtle rather than laugh out loud obnoxious - something the kids need these days to describe anything as funny (or 'too funny' like that's possible). Paul Rudd goes easy on the ad-lib front which was a relief, I hope he looks back at this film from time to time to see that it isn't always necessary (and that he can't do it very well). It also is slap-stick free, thank goodness. His character is probably one of the best he's played so far in his career, it's a real shame that this film seems to have been forgotten so soon after release. I can only imagine the Adam Sandler fans who thought this film was for them were disappointed while the non-Adam Sandler fans didn't see it. Go see it non-Adam Sandler fans!
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 12, 2013
Ned: I like to think that if you put your trust out there; if you really give people the benefit of the doubt, see their best intentions, people will rise to the occasion.

"Everybody has one."

Our Idiot Brother may be what you expect, but it may also be a big surprise if you go into it expecting a comedy like we're expecting to see come out today. It's not as raunchy, it's definitely not as mean as most, and it just has an overall niceness to it. A lot of this "niceness" comes from our lead, Ned, who is one of those guys that's so nice, it makes him look dumb. He's a guy so nice that he'd trust someone to hole all his cash on a subway while he cleans up a mess. He's a guy so nice that he'd sell weed to a police officer, as long as the police officer acted sad and said he had a bad week. Ned just believes that everyone is as nice and honest as he is. Too bad that's not the world that we all populate.

Ned is imprisoned early on in Our Idiot Brother for selling weed to a police officer. Once he gets out, he goes to his old place of residence; an organic farm, where he used to live with his girlfriend. Upon arriving he sees that his girlfriend has gotten a new Ned, someone just as dumb and just as nice to take Ned's place. After leaving the farm and Willy Nelson(his dog), he goes back to his family. From their he moves in with each of his three sisters at some point, complicating their lives because of his honest ways.

Along with some pretty stellar writing, a great cast makes his movie a lot of fun to watch. Paul Rudd is perfect as Ned, and his three sisters are made u of Elizabeth Banks, Zooey Deschanel, and Emily Mortimer. Four siblings for a comedy like Our Idiot Brother doesn't get too much better than those four. The movie also has a beautiful theme at the heart of it and it's one of those few mainstream comedies that I like because of its themes and not because of its over-the-top humor.

Our Idiot Brother is a movie worth watching, especially for fans of Paul Rudd, as this is one of his more vibrant and fun performances to date. Even if you don't end up liking the movie for whatever reason, you're still sure to enjoy the character of Ned. We've all met someone like this that throws their trust at everyone and anyone. So while this film isn't going to change your life, it's still well worth a look.
Apeneck F

February 4, 2013
Light hearted comedy wherein a hippie/outcast/knucklehead brings a family of serious types together with the magical power of love and honesty! It's cute.
Kase V

May 8, 2011
Thanks to a fun performance from Paul Rudd, 'Our Idiot Brother' is full of charm and gentle laughs. Nothing raunchy, nothing vulgar, just a simple comedy that bursts with a good vibe. It's honest and approachable for any viewer, with a guarantee that you end the film with a smile. It may get a little too light for its own good, but the film should be relished for its relaxed approach and charming central character.
axadntpron
axadntpron

January 21, 2012
This film is mostly watchable because Paul Rudd charmed the pants off me. I really like that they made his character lovably aloof as opposed to having him be incomprehensibly dim and having that be the sole source of comedy. Also, the film provides enough laughs to keep you entertained during the 90 minutes.
However, it is when the camera isn't on Rudd that the film falls apart. The supporting characters who chew up most the film's time, have very little depth. In fact, all of the sisters are very unlikable. Not that all of the characters have to be likable, but the viewer in some way has to have some interest in the characters relationships. And when you could care less about any of the supporting characters, it is hard to be interested in what they do.
As a twenty minute YouTube video with all of the supporting characters cut out, this film would be great. But as a whole, it is sadly forgettable.
P.S. - Did anyone else feel like the cursing in the film was completely forced? I felt like this film would have been perfect for a PG-13 rating. But it seems like they awkwardly threw in as many F-words as they could just for comedic effect.
Thomas J

August 23, 2011
Since I am the idiot brother in my family.... how could I NOT LOVE this movie. Paul Rudd is OUTSTANDING in the role as Ned. Ned has an innocence that humanity NEEDS to embrace!!
Everett J

January 13, 2012
"Our Idiot Brother" is the story of Ned(Paul Rudd) an idiot with three sisters. Ned gets put into jail for selling drugs to a police officer in uniform. When he reenters the real world he has no place to go, so he inserts himself into the lives of his sisters. Liz(Emily Mortimer) is in a bad marriage, Miranda(Elizabeth Banks) is a bossy writer, and Natalie(Zooey Deschanel) is a lesbian having an affair with a man. Ned is always upbeat and friendly, but he seems to screw things up more than he does make them better. Paul Rudd is absolutely fantastic in this. This is probably his best role, and he makes Ned so damn likeable. Heck, he even has a dog named Willy Nelson. When Ned is down, you feel down, you just wanna hug the guy. The rest of the cast is very good as well. It's a very well made comedy, that's only hangup was it needed more laughs. It drags a little in the middle, but overall it's a very enjoyable film. If you like lighthearted, adult comedy, this is right up your alley. There are some sex and drugs jokes, but it's kept to a good minimum. Very good natured R rated comedy, something that is kind of rare, just like Ned.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

August 24, 2011
a great cast, a few solid laughs, and a decent concept were not near enough to save this lack luster film. ultimately it keeps leaning towards an immense potential that it never hits.
Lewis C

April 12, 2011
My Idiot Brother is an offbeat comedy that has a great cast, but it's a little too formulaic and cut-and-dry to be better than "okay". Keep in mind that it's more subtle than slapstick, and you'll be fine. Especially if you're a Paul Rudd fan (like I am).
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

December 30, 2011
three stars
Michael S

August 17, 2011
Whereas most comedies these days go for the easy laughs and recycled shtick, "Our Idiot Brother" does something completely different. It strives to be the sweetest, fuzziest, most warm-hearted R rated comedy imaginable and completely succeeds! The film is as light as a feather, but the stellar cast makes it memorable and ring true. The best feel-good film to come around in some time.
cosmo313
cosmo313

May 2, 2011
Ned is probably the nicest guy ever. He's a good natured, laid back hippie, and even though he might be too trusting, and a little too honest, his heart's in the right place, and his optimistic outlook on life is just too charming to not get into. Contrary to the title, he's not really that stupid, but he is a little low on common sense.

After serving a brief time in jail for selling weed to an on duty cop, Ned loses his home, dog, and girlfriend, so he seeks help from each of his three sisters, satying with each until he can get back on his feet. Unlike Ned, they have a more realistic view of the world, and actually act like adults, unlike the manchild everyone but himself sees him as. Each sister tries their best to deal with him, but one by one he manages to screw up their lives in some very big ways.

Given that Ned is undoubtedly a hippie, and the way the film was marketed, it seems at first glance like a silly, dumb, and typical manchild comedy a la Step Brothers. In actuality, this is actually a very funny, smart, and charming film that isn't afraid to get a little genuinely dramatic and serious at times. There's a seen where Ned finally snaps and has a breakdown, and it's a very effective scene that really shows that Rudd is a gifted actor, and not just of the comedic variety. After that point though, the film feels a little uneven, and the film kinda starts to take the easy way out, but it ends nicely enough.

Aside from that, and that the flm overall is a little tonally uneven, it's still pretty solid, and a lot better than the trailer makes it seem. This is a hard film to dislike, and Ned's outlook on life, though perhaps a little too altruistic, is actually a nice way of seeing the world. I'm probably the msot thankful that the film takes characters that, played or handled by anyone else, would have been treated as throw away caricatures, resulting in a less interesting and probably weaker film.

The film's got a wonderful cast, and they all do a great job. Rudd shows he's got some real chops, and his turn as Ned really holds the film together. It's a finely observed performance that really handles the character type in a nuanced and balanced way. As Ned's three harried and diverse sisters, Elizabeth Banks is great as the somewhat bossy Miranda- a journalist for Vanity Fair working her butt off to get her big break, Zooey Deschanel is solid (though perhaps too obvious) as the bohemian/hispter artist Natalie, and Emily Mortimer is pretty good as Liz the frustrated and uptight housewife and mother of two. Shirley Knight plays mom to all these kids, but she's not really used a whole lot, so they could have been fine without her.

In good supporting roles are Rashida Jones as Natalie's girlfriend Cindy the lawyer (yes, that's right, Rashida Jones and Zooey Deschanel get intimate with one another), Steve Coogan is solid as Liz's boring, pretentious filmmaker husband (who absolutely loathes Ned), and Adam Scott as Miranda's neighbor and best friend. I used to not care for him, but he's proving himself to be a reliable character actor and bit player.

All in all, this is some really good stuff. It's entertaining and funny, but also quite charming and heartfelt. I think the resolution of everything could have been smoothed out better, but it ends well enough, so I can't complain too much. Give this one a go. It's not the dopey raunch fest it comes off as, but is instead a very refreshing and well done dramatic comedy.
Tim S

December 18, 2011
Alex is right on with his review. It did seem like a bunch of friends who wanted to get together and make a movie. The thing is that all of the friends are really talented and charming so it makes for a good watching experience. The core of the story has some real potential (the idea of a character who is so good he is naive is interesting), but it not as well executed as you would have hoped. It's a sweet movie, but it's also a movie you will forget about fifteen minutes after watching it.
neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

May 12, 2011
I tend to be partial to movies that deal with dysfunctional families and even more so towards those the address siblings specifically. I just find it interesting how individuals can have the same genetic mold, be raised in the same environment, yet be so vastly different. Siblings are each their own person, yet still connected to those with whom they share blood. I loved this movie all around, but I especially fell in love with the characters. While they are not necessarily the most "real' characters to ever grace the screen, they are all vivacious and accessible. The script was sharp and clever, and, while a bit cliched at times, I liked the ambiance and atmosphere. I had wanted to see this when it was first released, then forgot about it; but I'm glad to have finally gotten around to watching it.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

May 22, 2011
Cast: Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Zooey Deschanel, Emily Mortimer, Kathryn Hahn, Steve Coogan, Hugh Dancy, Rashida Jones, Shirley Knight, T.J. Miller, Adam Scott, Janet Montgomery

Director: Jesse Peretz

Summary: Ned (Paul Rudd) is a seemingly clueless idealist who must rely upon his three exasperated sisters (Emily Mortimer, Elizabeth Banks and Zooey Deschanel) for shelter and support after he's dumped by his fed-up girlfriend (Kathryn Hahn) and loses custody of his beloved dog, Willie Nelson. As he wreaks havoc on his sisters' lives, Ned's earnestness shines through until his siblings realize that family ties take priority over wealth and position.

My Thoughts: "A funny comedy. Paul Rudd is a favorite of mine and I think he does well in roles like these. I happen to have a brother that is very similar to his character Ned. There are three girls and a boy in my family. So it was a bit surreal seeing how similar my family was compared to the films. Chaos, dysfunction, fights, and in the end, love. A film to watch with your siblings, not the kids."
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 28, 2011
Quirky and easy-going, this endearingly sunny dramedy is a highly effective happy pill with its heart in the right place. The story, revolving around the half-witted frivolities of an organic farmer named Ned - a sort of modern-day hippie, who tends to slouch his way through life - is very easy to sink into, much thanks to its brilliant leading star and a charmingly written script. For despite his apparent naiveness, Ned is a very amiable character, whom in the company of a first-rate supporting cast, drives the success of this film in a steady, up-sloping trajectory. His good-natured. and always positive demeanour, is impossible not to take a liking to, and you really root for him to get his life back on track again, after previously having lost both home and girlfriend due to an unfortunate incident on the wrong side of the law. Now, I've never considered Paul Rudd as a candidate for my favourite actors list, but this is by far the performance by him that I've enjoyed the most. Another one of those, and I might have to consider him for the thespian elite after all. A liberal, yet fairly harmless comedy, that boasts lovely actors like Zooey Deschanel, Elisabeth Banks and Emily Mortimer. Steve Coogan is quite fun as well, as a documentary film-maker, who is anything but keen on having Ned around his house. I'd also like to add a big plus point for the wonderful soundtrack, which sets just the right mood (and level of comfort) with its delightfully ear-pleasing and often retro tunes. A free-spirited feel-good film, that brings back that warm, cosy feeling of a perfect summer's day. Highly recommended!
Shawn E

August 25, 2011
Mildly entertaining comedy, but the film's drama is what I enjoyed most. Paul Rudd's performance is likeable, and there's lots of sympathy for his good-natured character.
Cynthia S

May 16, 2011
I love Paul Rudd, but this was NOT a good movie for him, in my opinion. I found it lame, and only mildly entertaining. The surrounding cast was good, but even they couldn't save this film for me.