Our Lady of the Assassins Reviews

mvieaddict
½ December 20, 2010
This was a dark and violent movie. The story of a gay writer Fernando, returning to his country after being away for so long. He met a 16 year old gay boy Alexis, who prostitute for living. The movie seemed to drag so long in some scenes and this made it feel slow and boring. The relationship between Fernando and Alexis seemed a little overreacted. Fernando was an aging writer, Alexis was young,hip and modern, so it felt unbelievable that he would have such an intimate and profound relationship. But what they won't do for money? The ending was a question mark, and I wonder if something was left out. The acting was good, very natural in the dialogue. The cinematography was beautiful with the city of Medellin for the backdrop of the movie. Not my type of movie.
December 22, 2012
My top favorite movie because it expresses itself eloquently what someone passing their prime and a transplant in foreign country goes through.
December 20, 2010
This is one of my all time favorite movies. I identify with it many levels. Truely amazing and inspirational in many ways. Opens your eyes to what may be reality in Colombia. The gay scenes are so realistic and the search for something a gay man may not even know. Love that evades many gay men.
½ September 29, 2012
No hay ficción mas grande que la realidad y esta película cumple con esta premisa.
½ February 19, 2012
¬Ņqu√ (C) tan malo es si me estuve riendo media pel√≠cula?
December 20, 2010
Lawless Medellin, Colombia, is seen through the eyes of an aging homosexual writer with a gangbanger prostitute and, their growing affair. The movie is so well done that pederasty is a moot point, their relationship blending with the decaying ambiance of the culture. One critic compared the two lovers with Dante and Virgil.
Real, Raw,
Contrary to others who deemed this film as lacking, I appreciated the non-movie quality, almost documentary POV. This is a raw look at life in a world where children have learned to survive by adapting to the drug influenced violent environment of MedellŪn, Columbia.

The guilt free ease in which they take each others lives is a reflection and commentary of the senseless murdering enacted by leaders of our world today.

Alexis (Anderson Ballesteros) and Fernando played by German Jaramillo...
The shallow underdeveloped characters and dialogue are authentic and pleasing, further hammering home this disturbing portrait of humanity through the eyes of a man who has come home to "die". What can one expect from a 40 something and a 16 year old gang boy. Their interactions and loving are nuance rich but ( as I like) ask me the viewer to fill in the depth of what if anything these two who are worlds and ages apart could feel for one another.

I project/judge they were clinging on to one another for some sense of being loved in a world that had showed them little. They don't know how to be lovers, but they do love each other and that is perfect.

For me comparing destroys loving, I loved "Chronically Unsustainable" and could have compared it as they are of similar genre. I choose to take one film at a time and invite you to enjoy "Our Lady of The Assassins" for what it is and not what you expect or demand it to be.

-Alter'Nathan
½ December 20, 2010
*** (out of four)

Alex is a sixteen year old boy who lives in a boys brothel in the city of Medellin. He is used to living and killing in the streets. He becomes involved with a writer who has recently returned to the city.

Not easy subject matter, but extremely well made film with great performances.
December 20, 2010
I could never care for any of the characters in this movie. They are all bad people who deserved everything they got. A controversial movie does not make a good movie.