91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Our Man Flint Reviews

July 27, 2014
Flint is the secret agent Bond only wishes he could be. And this is in part where the film is flawed.
See Flint is a secret agent who practically knows everything, is skilled in everything, can determine all the ingredients by looking, tasting and smelling something and is almost godlike in his abilities. So it's less about IF he's going to save the day but rather just how long it's going to take him to do so.
Flint is just too over powered to make this an enjoyable action film.
Now as a campy look at spy films in the vein of a Spy Hard, Get Smart or Austin Powers, Our Man Flint works pretty well.
Unfortunately I don't believe that is the intentions behind the film. Flint was created as competition to Bond in the hopes of trying to create a better spy. An agent people would prefer to James Bond because he was just that much better. But humans are flawed, and superhumans should stay in comic books (or comic book movies!). Still, Our Man Flint is quite enjoyable and worth a laugh or two whether deliberate or not.
February 22, 2014
Even though it's silly to the point of being groan worthy at times, it's still pretty funny.
October 14, 2013
Another James Bond knock-off, this one done more in the Austin Powers style, that is 30 years earlier, though. Im really no Bond fan, so this didnt appeal to me either. Over the top with the gadgets and the ladies.
July 7, 2013
A James Bond spoof starring James Coburn. I thought Gila Golan was very pretty in this and wondered why she really didn't do very many movies.
May 26, 2013
Ridiculously fun, ludicrously adept at spoofing the spy craze. Kind of meanders after the first 45 minutes.
May 9, 2013
Before Austin Powers and Maxwell Smart there was Derek Flint. Released at the height of the Bond craze, it's the best spy spoof of the era.
Jonathan D.
August 20, 2012
This is a very solid spy movie. It's not as good as Thunderball or From Russia, but still fun and worth a watch.
July 25, 2012
Good spoof spy for its time, coburn does a good job keeping things serious but amusing
June 17, 2012
A goofy, swinging spy spoof that offers James Coburn in a very funny turn, Lee J. Cobb as his harried boss (another fun performance), and an endearingly silly premise that starts at "over the top" and takes off from there. In fact, even being a parody, the film does almost go a bit too far, threatening to get lost in its own cleverness, but it manages to stay mostly on track, and the final result is quite entertaining (if a little uneven).
May 13, 2012
James Coburn's best movie
muffin0681
November 26, 2011
In this hilarious spy and exciting action adventure, Flint battles Gila, the sexy and savvy head agent whose organization is planning to destroy the world. It's a task that demands all of Flint's awesome powers of dedication and - most of all - seduction.

stars James Coburn, Lee J Cobb, Gila Golan, Edward Mulhare, Benson Fong, Shelby Grant, Sigrid Valdis, Gianna Serra, Helen Funai, Rhys Williams, Russ Conway, Ena Hartman, William Walker, Peter Brocco, James Brolin, Michael St. Clair and Harry Monty.

directed by Daniel Mann.
sleepykiss
October 16, 2011
I really cant stand James Coburn, but the 60's super spy FLINT series is funny. I still prefer the MATT HELM series with Dean Martin or MODESTY BLAISE tho.
Sean G

August 29, 2011
If you liked Austin Powers....
TonyPolito
August 16, 2010
1966 saw both Dean Martin (as Matt Helm in "The Silencers") and James Coburn here as Derek Flint on screen in shameless copycatters of the James Bond franchise, which by that point was an undeniably proven product through its four outings -- "Dr. No" (1962), "From Russia With Love" (1963), "Goldfinger" (1964) and "Thunderball" (1965). Ok, "Our Man Flint" doesn't have anywhere near the same bite as any of those Bond classics, mostly because it's missing any well-done action scenes as well as any whiz-bang gizmo-gimmickry. Still, it's interesting to watch, in large part due to Coburn's subtle and playful poking at the Bond franchise. When Coburn's handed a Walther PPK pistol - Bond's standard issue - he quips its outdated. And at film's fin, Coburn's too busy to take The President's phone call, not because he's snuggling up with the usual babe-once-nemesis now won over, but because he's snuggling up with HER AND four other women, his regular squeezes, all at the same time. Menage a CINQ -- top THAT James Bond! Maybe Bond needs a suitcase full of gadgets, but uber-spy-guy Flint only needs one: a cigarette lighter (that looks suspiciously like a classic Dunhill Rollagas) that does 86 different things - "87 if you count that it can light a cigarette" - which he uses to talk to HQ merely by flipping up the lid. And to think Bond needs to tote around all that complicated stuff just to phone home. "Flint" sends up Bond as omniscient Renaissance man by going over-the-top, by making Coburn even more omniscient than Bond; Flint's flying to Moscow for the ballet - not to see it, but to train the dancers. Viewed not as action spy flick but rather as sly satire, "Flint" is actually more satisfying viewing than the more slapstick send-up of Bond in "Casino Royale" (1967). RECOMMENDATION: One-spin recommended, when the mood for such strikes.
May 31, 2011
Our Man Flint is a tough flick to discuss after viewing the Austin Powers franchise, as there is a massive age gap between my generation (not that I'm a big fan of my generation) and that of oldman Flint that makes it appear dated. Flint is a spoof of the Bond series, no way around that; there is even a moment in the film when the beautiful villain tosses aside a book called "Adventures of 008," claims that it's foolish to print such nonesnse. Thus, throughout the film I caught myself reliving other spy spoof films (and, of course, Roger Moore's ridiculous 007), which took away from Flint's wild and, at the time of release, original sets, wacky gagets, and terribly choreographed kung-fu (karate chop!).

What combats the datedness? The great James Coburn of course! Coburn is a man that defies generations, as he's as charismatic, masculine, and smooth whether he's saving the world from super-villains or hunting down Kris Kristofferson (as Billy the Kid) for Sam Peckinpah. As Flint, his smug arrogance and never-wrong attitude make Coburn an excellent choice for the super spy, super sly Derek Flint. There is, on the other hand, his kung-fu skills. Oh my lord! It's no secret that Coburn took lessons from Bruce Lee, but he sure didn't take choreography lessons.

On a side note, that I'm not going to get into, Lee J Cobb looks like a younger William Holden. Take that for what it's worth...

The indoor sets are immaculately constructed, loking as if a kylidoscope exploded onto the walls, floors, and ceilings. It's prime-time 60s psychodelic fun! In fact, the "pleasure unit" training centre inside the evil headquarters may cause blindness due to spinning neons and florescent brights (beware). The model work is impressive for the time as well. Volcanos explode, damns collapse, glaciers shatter, and it all looks and feels genuine. In fact, besides the super trippy psychodelic interiors, I was amazed at how detailed and elaborate the set design was, thinking that the producers put a boatload of cash into the film.

And now ladies and gentlemen, on to the... ladies. That Coburn is one lucky dude. When it comes to Derek Flint, poligomy is the key! 4+1=5, no? Plus, they wait on him hand-and-foot! The man has a personal shaver and woredrobe lady; I'd love to know what the other three do (and it would probably make me seriously jealous). In some 60s flicks, the ladies clothing is not that riske, but that's not good enough for our man Flint. There's not much clothing on these beauties at times and, combined with the settings, visual overload is inevitable and satisfying at the same time.

Although the film is over the top in everything it does, however, that applies to its lulls too. There is quite a large amount of "build up" exposition and details between the grande settings, beautiful women, and Coburnian charm. Sadly, it's just not entertaining enough to maintain one's attention (mine specifically) as the plot drags and the gags lag, showing their datedness as, thus, we've seen it all before.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
Many people point to this as one of the best spy movies of the 60s along with 007, but I wasn't that impressed with it. The style is more interesting than a Bond movie, but I didn't care for Coburn's character, he seemed too flawless. Overall it's okay, though, especially if you love spy movies.
Blind Pariah
October 13, 2010
A spy parody that I found to be dry and flat. Zowie.

Where it really misses the mark is found in the absence of anything resembling compelling and over the top villainy. One would think in a parody that there would be highly exaggerated characters seeking to control the world with their weather machine. Instead we get a few limp scientists in lab coats and an enforcer type that would better suit serving dainties at a garden party.

The staged fight between Flint and .0008 is the high point, and it last for a couple minutes. There are some happening babes in go go fashion around to look at, which saves it from being an utter bore.
October 11, 2010
Kicking back and watching some old school stuff today. Let me know if you know this movie.
KevinRobbins
March 15, 2010
I am not a pleasure unit

A terrorist organization has developed a machine that controls the weather. The government is forced to call on the notorious Derek Flint. Flint is an eccentric man who is brilliant. Can Flint track down the terrorists, discover their motive, and bring their operations to a halt?

"They are controlling the weather from inside a volcano."

Daniel Mann, director of The Mann who Broke 1,000 Chains, Matilda, The Revengers, Willard (1971), The Mountain Road, and The Last Angry Man, delivers Our Man Flint. The storyline for this picture is interesting and well presented. The settings are well selected and the acting is marvelous. The cast includes James Coburn, Lee Cobb, and Sigrid Valdis.

"My sole purpose in life is to bring happiness to my companions."

Our Man Flint is a series that has interested my wife. We are both fans of James Coburn and enjoyed both films in this series. While the stories are entertaining, the film truly focuses on the main character, Flint. The Flint series reminds me of a 70s version of Austin Powers. While this film is a Bond parody, it does deliver content and characters that are better than your average comedic parody.

"You are obviously an extraordinary man."

Grade: B
starlett2005
March 10, 2010
Our Man Flint is an interesting film. James Coburn and Lee Cobb gave amazing performances. The script is good and so is the direction of the film. I thought the action was excellent and kept me interested. Our Man Flint is a definite must see.