43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

—— Jonah From Tonga: Season 1
86% The Knick: Season 1

Out of the Past Reviews

July 13, 2014
Stakes a claim to being the greatest of all film noirs
July 13, 2014
Mitchum is the coolest cat in the world in this film. One of the best film noir things I've ever seen.
December 28, 2013
Best film noir I have seen so far
May 19, 2014
The ultimate film-noir of all time. Can you imagine even the toughest Robert Mitchum has to fall prey to the same femme fatale over and over again?
January 21, 2012
The noiriest of noir movies, probably the best gateway to film noir, if you don't like this you probably won't like film noir.
March 30, 2014
One of the definitive Film Noirs. An ex-private eye is dragged back into the past he tried to leave behind him when an old associate of his finds him and alerts him that one of his old contractors wants to talk to him. Robert Mitchum (in his first starring role) drifts cooly through the film as Jeff Bailey, the cynical detective at the heart of our story, and just about every line out of his mouth is instantly cool. His Jeff Bailey is easily the second best noir character behind Bogart's Philip Marlowe. Jane Greer is a perfect and beautiful femme fetale as Kathie Moffett. Virginia Huston is great and pretty as Bailey's girl Ann Miller. Dickie Moore also puts on a superb supporting performance as The Kid, a deaf and mute teen who acts as Bailey's second hand. Out of The Past is easily one of the best film Noir's you can see, and it's got a lot of the trademarks of noir in it from dark corners, a sexy and hard to read femme fatale, a cynical and wounded private eye, some voice overs, and a twisty plot . This is a great film, plain and simple.
Mike N.
April 5, 2014
a pretty good film noir flick.
January 23, 2014
A classic noir film that has some of the most chill lines of dialogue I've ever seen in a movie, and a twisting, hard to follow, but very good plot. It's a very conversation oriented movie, and I kinda got a bit sleepy at times and had a hard time following the plot at times. However, with a great plot, excellent noir cinematography, very good acting, the dialogue, and the cool, 1940s vibe, it's an excellent film that deserves its reputation.
lucy w.
February 16, 2014
A reserved and world-weary anti-hero, with some secrets behind his back? Check.
Gorgeous women as lethal as their incredible beauty? Check.
A shady villain mixed into some shady business? Check.
One treachery after another, until you don't know who's deceiving who? Check.
"Out of the Past" must be the title that immediately appears in movie filmmaking books about film noir and one can easily understand why. Jacques Torneur's expert direction of light and shadows perfectly captures the mood of this film genre; and the doomed characters can almost be considered as the ideal stereotypes of any film noir.
But most important of all, "Out of the Past" is an excellent picture, dark, complex, a classic on its own right, nevermind to which film genre it belongs to.
January 4, 2010
This movie is a real noir gem. Robert Mitchum plays Jeff Bailey, a gas station owner in a quiet town. An unsavory man approaches him, asking him to visit an old friend.

Jeff is roped back into a dangerous situation, when he must explain to his current girlfriend why he must go to Los Angeles and take care of this business. It has something to do with a femme fatale, an old lover of Jeff's.

With an incredibly twisted narrative and excellent performances all around, Out of the Past is a superb noir film.
January 22, 2012
I have to say that I am happy to strike this from the list of Movie Shame titles that I have 'needed' to see for all these years, as it's truly a wonderful film and a pitch-perfect example of the Film Noir genre. It has also kicked off a renewed interest in me for all things Film Noir, so I foresee a lot of rentals and blind-buys in my immediate future.

Robert Mitchum is amazing in this film, laconic and grouchy, resigned to deal with the things life throws at him in a very realistic manner.

Highly Recommended.
January 11, 2013
Considered as one of the greatest of film noirs. This is a good film, I liked it.
January 6, 2014
Complex, stylish, and darkly intriguing.. "Out of the Past" is a definitive noir along with "Double Indemnity."
December 28, 2013
Film Noir at it's best!
November 11, 2013
Featuring some of the best noir dialogue, outside of other greats such as "The Big Sleep" and "Sunset Blvd", this is pretty perfect classic detective cinema.
Mark  Delledonne
November 11, 2013
Stupid movie!, boring, BORING, BORING!!!!!
November 6, 2013
A cinematic beauty, the major problem I had with this film is its convoluted, rather confusing narrative storyline. The plot is muddied, yet the characterization is fantastic. A definitive noir film that most film aficionados must see, and one classic film enthusiasts must watch.
October 7, 2013
This film is a reference when it comes to film noir, with a great plot and dito performances.
September 29, 2013
I'm not a big Robert Mitchum fan but I love noir, and I need to watch more than I already have, and Out of the Past is unavoidable. I watched it and in my opinion it is definitely one of the better ones. As always, the script is phenomenal, or it seems so compared to what we get to watch these days. There's a nice cool pace that can speed up and slow down at all the right moments. There's a bizarre killing with a fishing rod. Almost everything else I thought were perfect as well. It's beautifully shot with trademark angle shots and darkness all around. Script is number one but Jane Greer whom I don't think I've watched before is close behind. One of the most believable femmes-fatales I've seen. If you enjoy oldies this is a must.
September 12, 2013
Film-noir at its 'noir-est' ! 'Less is more" acting by Robert Mitchum (as usual & before Brando) - also his first starring role.