57% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Outlaw Josey Wales Reviews

Anthony L

June 26, 2013
I'm not sure The Outlaw Josey Wales is the classic it is often regarded as, for be it was only above average. That said, there does seem to be more to the story than most. I can't think of many anti-war westerns, so I commend its originality, which still stands to this day. It's certainly a western that is easy to watch that is worth its length. Gritty, but I didn't like all the spitting at the Dog much.
Al S

November 18, 2012
One of the best westerns of all time. Another Eastwood Classic. Clint Eastwood is excellent, he delivers a thrilling performance and even more thrilling directional feature. A stunning and well-crafted western that delivers plenty of sensational shoot-ours and great humor. A fun and exhilarating action-packed adventure. A great cast in some wonderful supporting roles just add more to love about this movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 18, 2011
Clint Eastwood's The Outlaw Josey Wales is a near flawless Western with a great cast of actors. Directed by Clint Eastwood who also plays the lead role of Josey Wales, This is a classic Western that is packed with effective story telling, good action, memorable characters and above all, great directing. I very much enjoyed this film, and though it's not as legendary as Sergio Leone's Westerns, this is still a classic of the genre. Clint Eastwood delivers a great performance alongside Chief Dan George. The Outlaw Josey Wales is a great tale of revenge and payback. I think it's a subject that suits Clint Eastwood well, and he doesn't disappoint. This is a well crafted film with a great cast, great performances and an engaging story. If you're a Clint Eastwood fan, then you really should give this one a shot. This is a superb Western, and it will please fans of the genre. I really enjoyed John Vernon's performance as Fletcher, the man hunting down Josey Wales. Both Eastwood and Vernon light up the screen, and it's what makes this film so good. Combine that with a great story, and you have yet another Western classic. If you enjoy exciting Westerns, then this is the film for you. The cast is great, and the story is always exciting, and the performances are top notch. The Outlaw Josey Wales is a great film, and directed by Clint Eastwood, you can expect an excellent film for sure. If you love Eastwood's work, then don't miss out on this one. A must see for Eastwood fans.
Apeneck F

July 22, 2007
A typical horse opera with Eastwood as the stranger you better not mess with, only different, yea charged, with the blithe spirit of Chief Dan George as the unlikely second banana, who manages to lift the usual proceedings single-handedly into 4 star territory.
cosmo313
cosmo313

April 16, 2007
This film plays very fast and loose with both history and geography, but that aside, this is a very thrilling and rousing western adventure.

The story concerns a Missouri farmer named Josey Wales who joins up with Confederate bushwhackers after Jayhawkers kill his family and destroy his farm. Once the war ends, the same man responsible for killing his family is also responsible for killing all of his fellow bushwhackers in a double cross when they decide to surrender and pledge loyalty to the Union. Wales, still bitter, decides not to surrender, but then finds himself the target of a manhunt after fighting back during the double cross.

The rest of the film follows him as he makes his way out west to get on with his life, and meets up with an interesting assortment of people along the way, despite his desire to be left alone.

Despite the aforementioned issues, this is a revisionist western that, in a surprising move (surprising for the 1970s) offers a rather sensible portrayal of Native Americans, by showing them in a way that isn't often seen enough in media depictions. The characters are interesting, pretty well developed, and the action is well done and shows the weariness that war can cause. I wasn't expecting the film to have any humor, but there's some really good gags here, and they actually fit in pretty well with the rest of the material.

The cinematograpy is great, the sets and costumes rock, and it's all highly enjoyable. Give this one a watch. It's awesome.
axadntpron
axadntpron

August 16, 2011
While not perfect by any means, Eastwood manages to pull off an anti-war western. It is superbly shot and visually very enthralling compared to many of his other works. While I cannot for the life of me understand why he always chose to work with Sandra Locke all of those years, she is actually pretty good here. What makes the film suffer is that Eastwood attempts to take on too much. Not only is he making an anti-war statement at the end of the Vietnam War, he also wants to say something about the Native American, and on top of this he throws in a love story. While all of these are great things to take on over a series of films, it is too much for one. Although it has it's share of imperfections, it is none the less a great watch.
Sajin P

May 14, 2011
When Mr.Clintwood is out for revenge, you know there's no stopping him. The journey of Josey Wales is an epic ride filled with adventure, action and wit.
Ken S

March 28, 2007
Kind of like every western that came out of the 70's, and done really well, but Eastwood proves he's no Leone.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 3, 2008
A beautifully-shot harsh western that was made by an American in America in the '70s and not by an Italian film director for a change. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's what makes this particular film stand out. It's not exactly perfect (I felt it runs just a bit too long, particularly toward the middle) but it's a nice glimpse of what was to come a couple of decades later in "Unforgiven".
Thomas J

February 2, 2008
I understand how Clint Eastwood built a career from portraying characters like this. His performance is great. The movie is a typical Western in that all the gunfights actually takes away from the story for me, but Westerns are my my favorite genre.
Conner R

January 16, 2010
Clint Eastwood does a great job at getting a very different looking western than you usually see, most of it taking place in Missouri. It also has a completely different pace then you might expect, it takes its time and gradually eases you into this very unique story. It's not just a revenge tale, it's more about seeking justice and finding out what it means to become a legend. Josey Wales isn't the trigger happy gunslinger you might expect, he's a lot more human and compassionate. While this is not my favorite Clint Eastwood western, it's a great movie that doesn't seem to get enough credit.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 6, 2009
Arguably Eastwood's most underrated western. Had it been made at the end of his career, as was Unforgiven, I dare say that THIS might be the film everyone talks about.
Jason O

August 16, 2009
I prefer this western to all the ones in the Dollars series, personally. Has more of a drama touch to it and you can never go wrong with Eastwood anyway.
Michael G

September 29, 2006
The Outlaw Josey Wales is a just decent movie. Nothing really stood out here for me but at the same time it wasn't horrible. Clint Eastwood had some great one-liners and his chemistry with Chief Dan George was great. Oh, and I liked how Sondra Locke was supposed to be retarded. Or... slow. Overall I thought the movie was kind of all over the place between the revolving door of characters and Eastwood's developing directorial style. The cast was great even if the story was a bit on the bare bones side.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 26, 2007
a solid early directing job by eastwood. the evolution of the title character from farmer to outlaw was extremely lacking, but the rest of the story was engaging and the characters were fun despite some fairly average acting. solid western.
Dean !

March 5, 2007
One of the best westerns ever.
garyX
garyX

October 29, 2006
Yet another great western from Clint, he directs with real conviction probably more in the no nonsense style of Don "Dirty Harry" Siegel than Leone, but the result is an affecting and hugely likeable story. Josey Wales is a farmer who joins the southern rebels when his family is butchered by unionist raiders, only to see his friends murdered when they try to surrender at the end of the war. While on the run from their now state sanctioned killers, he encounters and befriends an entourage of oddballs and misfits who become his surrogate family. The first half hour is a fairly generic revenge western, but things come to life at the appearance of Chief Dan George, who brings real warmth and humour to his character, a kind of deconstructed portrait of the noble savage who is dismayed at his waning powers when faced with old age and "civilisation". Clint is also at his laconic best, of course adept at the machismo-fuelled gunplay, but also bringing real humanity to a man who finds more to live for than vengeance. Great stuff.
deano
deano

October 31, 2006
A sweeping Western, impressively directed by its star.
rayman0071
rayman0071

August 14, 2006
One of the highest grossing movies of 1976,this Clint Eastwood western is among his finest work.
Bradley W

June 23, 2012
The Outlaw Josey Wales was a entertaining and smooth western that really is driven by a powerful performance from Clint Eastwood. Usually revenge films use the same formula and are predictable, but this film follows a much different path. We see a man conflicted by the death of his family, and he will stop at nothing to kill the men who killed them. A premise like this seemed like it would bore me, but it ends up being a deep film about a man who must redeem himself in life and finds a new group of friends. The film is also very likable with its humor and action, which really keeps this entertaining. The characters are fun and drive the story, and without enjoyable characters this would be a pathetic western. I loved the wide open spaces and how this man is known wherever he goes, giving us a sense of danger with whoever he meets. A western like this is hard to find because its done so well and keeps us entertained with great action, well written characters, and an interesting story that leads up to a beautifully directed climax. It does get very slow at times, but it all ends up being a huge payoff. The Outlaw Josey Wales is a beautiful and fun western that never fails to entertain.