The Outrage

41% Working the Engels: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Outrage Reviews

December 18, 2013
131220: Not having seen this "Rashomon", I like to think my view of this film is a little less biased. I like this movie except for a couple minor points. Right out of the gate I was sucked in. It reminded me of "The Ox-Bow Incident", another black and white western classic. A couple well-known actors. A unique and meaningful story presented in an equally unique and meaningful way. Midway through, a little bad acting combined with some poor special effects tempered my enthusiasm a bit, but I will no doubt be watching this movie again, if not acquiring it for my collection. I'll have to research how was received when released in 1964? Have a strong desire to know more about this film which is a good thing. And, I'll likely watch this "Rashomon" now. Just have to know.
339z
August 3, 2014
wow.....ummmm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that paul newman (.R.I.P.), laurence harvey (.R.I.P.), claire bloom, edward g robinson (.R.I.P.), william shatner, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this western/drama/action/adventure/mystery/suspense movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throguhout this movie.....i have never seen the original 1950's version of this movie but i think that this is a great remake of a movie.......i think that paul newman (.R.I.P.), as Carrasco throughout this movie was really good.......i think that this is such a beautifully directed movie 2 watch......its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that the gun shoot out when the girl frees her husband was really funny in this movie.......i think that this is such an underrated movie 2 watch but it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a brilliant classics movie 2 watch its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch it is a really good movie 2 watch.....i think that paul fix (.R.I.P.), was great throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a brilliant black/white movie 2 watch it is such a classics movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch but it is such a really enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch...
March 31, 2014
a american remake of the jap classic 'rashomon'
KevinRobbins
December 22, 2013
The shepherd is running away from the wolves.

A reverend at a train station is approached by a stranger. The stranger asks him what he is doing, and the reverend tells him a tale of murder, victims, and outrage by the locals. The murder was so heinous, he has decided to stop following his faith and leave the town. The stranger asks for all of the details of the murder so he can try to understand what acts could be so bad for a reverend to lose his faith and direction.

"People see what they want to see and say what they want to hear."

Martin Ritt, director of Hud, Hombre, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, Nuts, Norma Rae, The Great White Hope (1970), Paris Blues, and The Black Orchid, delivers The Outrage. The storyline for this picture is very methodical but contains brilliant subplots, character development, and wonderful dialogue. The acting is remarkable and the cast includes Paul Newman, William Shatner, Laurence Harvey, Edward Robinson, and Claire Bloom.

"All four of them lied."

The Outrage was a movie I had to DVR since it starred the great Paul Newman. I was shocked he was playing a Hispanic man and his performances actually reminded me of Marlon Brando's performance in The Teahouse of the August Moon. This is an awesome movie that comes together perfectly in the end. I strongly recommend seeing this underrated gem and potentially adding it to your DVD collection. This is definitely a first rate thriller.

"I don't murder. I kill."

Grade: A-
October 21, 2012
Impressive stuff from Paul Newman as Carrasco the coyote desiring the excellent Claire Boom. A young William Shatner played a wooden preacher.
May 28, 2012
Decent remake of "Rashomon". Newman is hilarious as the Mexican bandit Carrasco.
March 1, 2009
Fans of Akira Kurosawa's original Rashoman might need a few minutes to adjust to this Western remake, but the quicker you accept its existence the quicker you'll be rewarded by the execution of this fine retelling. While they wait for a train, three men (William Shatner, Edward G Robinson, & Howard Da Silva) discuss what is fact and what is fiction regarding the trial of Mexican bandit, Paul Newman. Director Martin Ritt does his darndest to ape Kurosawa's grande vision, and even if it reads more as pale imitation than originality at least he manages to keep it looking pretty. Besides, it's all well-worth it for the performances. VF.
Rai  MI
September 22, 2011
A 1964 remake of the 1950 Japanese film RASHOMON. I saw this 2 compare it w/ the original film. The movie was shot in black & white. The cinematography looks dated. I thought this movie might have a spaghetti western period look abt it. But, it has much more of stage-play feel to it. The sets are simpler and less visually interesting.

All of the actors are very good. Paul Newman, Claire Bloom, and Lawrence Harvey carried the action well. I dont think P Newman ever made a bad performance in a film. The action is limited by the staging. The story is interesting. But, I was not drawn into the action. Watching it seemed more like an archeological enterprise. RASHOMON is a much better movie.

It was an OK time w/ the flics.
Zack B.
May 25, 2010
So-so western that uses flashbacks and different P.O.V to tell it's story. It's affective in some films, but not so much this one. Newman's performance was a waste.
TonyPolito
August 15, 2010
In terms of plot, dialogue and action, Outrage is a Xerox copy of Japanese director Kurosawa's legendary, innovative Rashomon (1950).

Outrage transplants a Western motif - samurai becomes former Confederate colonel, channeling medium becomes Indian medicine-man, Japanese bandit becomes Mexican bandito. Perhaps more palatable to American theatre-goers, but the migration muddles.

Rashomon's a much better fit with historical elements of Japanese culture such as samurai legend, kabuki and face-saving of honor. What Southern belle would ask her husband to kill her so he wouldn't be dishonored by the shame of her being raped?

More importantly, Rashomon's innovative cinematography is mostly missing here. Kurosawa broke the 180-degree rule as the witness walks into the forest to intentionally disorient the viewer. And defied convention by shooting straight into the sun, up through the thick canopy of trees. Both done to convey entry into another world. He swings the camera 270 degrees, pivoting on a face, more than once. Kurosawa shot B&W, creating incredible visuals. Faces, simultaneously covered with shadows of leaves and mirrored natural sunlight, symbolize the co-existence of good and evil in men. Kurosawa employed left-to-right wipes for certain transitions, unseen in Outrage. Kurosawa's evocative facial close-ups, where every single drop of sweat looks precision-placed, probably inspired Sergio Leone. And Rashomon's the first use of flashback as device; in fact, Kurosawa actually employed flashback inside flashback.

Outrage is all-but-forgotten due to such directorial shortcomings; ask even an avid film fan when Edward G. Robinson played a snake-oil salesman or Paul Newman played a Mexican bandito and see just how forgotten it is.

RECOMMENDATION: If you've seen Rashomon, take a pass. If not, spin them both as double-bill - and see how great direction can easily trump great acting.
Conner R

August 6, 2010
Even though it's not amazing, this is actually really interesting and well done movie. Sadly it will always be compared to Rashomon, even though the remake really tries to be something else and is hardly shot for shot. It has some great characters, Paul Newman as Carrasco is utterly ridiculous, yet hilarious at the same time. The cinematography is beautiful and even rivals Kurosawas, so in that respect it's a very worthy remake. This really is the best possible western interpretation of the story.
necrobeast666
September 5, 2009
Newman was great...the movie was NOT
MECreviews
November 6, 2007
I disliked this film.
Cindy I

April 2, 2008
A direct remake of "Rashomon", but set in the old west rather than Japan. Paul Newman stars in the role that Toshiro Mifune played in the original -- that of a bandit (Mexican rather than Japanese) who rapes a woman and murders her husband....or did he? Pretty good if you've never had the chance to see Rashomon, or are put off by subtitles. Along with Newman, other cast members include Lawrence Harvey, Claire Bloom and Edward G. Robinson. William Shatner even makes a decent, although overly dramatic (as usual) appearance as the preacher. Interesting to see if you know Rashomon well. Many scenes are plucked directly from the original, with even the dialogue pretty much intact. Probably unnecessary, but not irritating like the Psycho remake. One flaw -- Paul Newman as a Mexican?!?! He did a good job, but those blue eyes don't quite fit the part.