The Outrage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Outrage Reviews

December 10, 2015
Initially intriguing, though overwrought, but ultimately pointless and silly.

A Hollywood adaptation of Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon". Three men meet at a deserted station in the middle of nowhere. Soon their discussion turns to the trial that occurred in the nearby town the previous say. The trial concerned the death of a man. Three people claim they killed him, and we see their version of the events. Who is correct and why are two of them (at least...) lying?

From the outset there is a degree of unnecessary complexity about the script. The script is overly wordy, almost to the point of being Shakespearean, and feels padded. The plot is quite interesting but as it goes on it becomes less and less plausible, and feels complex just for the sake of it. Soon the holes appear, none of which are filled in by the end of the movie.

After a point the implausibility and complexity have descended into farce. The last few scenes are quite silly and ultimately you're left wondering what the point was and even possibly what the story was...

The casting provides some interesting appearances. Paul Newman puts in a good, almost over-the-top, performance as the Mexican bandit. William Shatner is there, as a preacher (two years later Star Trek started...). Edward G Robinson gets the role of the verbose swindler (he is largely responsible for my "Shakespearean" comment). Laurence Harvey and Claire Bloom put in reasonably solid performances as the married couple.

To be honest, even though many regard Rashomon as a classic, I don't. The plot for The Outrage demonstrates why Rashomon is overrated.
December 18, 2013
131220: Not having seen this "Rashomon", I like to think my view of this film is a little less biased. I like this movie except for a couple minor points. Right out of the gate I was sucked in. It reminded me of "The Ox-Bow Incident", another black and white western classic. A couple well-known actors. A unique and meaningful story presented in an equally unique and meaningful way. Midway through, a little bad acting combined with some poor special effects tempered my enthusiasm a bit, but I will no doubt be watching this movie again, if not acquiring it for my collection. I'll have to research how was received when released in 1964? Have a strong desire to know more about this film which is a good thing. And, I'll likely watch this "Rashomon" now. Just have to know.
August 3, 2014
wow.....ummmm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that paul newman (.R.I.P.), laurence harvey (.R.I.P.), claire bloom, edward g robinson (.R.I.P.), william shatner, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this western/drama/action/adventure/mystery/suspense movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throguhout this movie.....i have never seen the original 1950's version of this movie but i think that this is a great remake of a movie.......i think that paul newman (.R.I.P.), as Carrasco throughout this movie was really good.......i think that this is such a beautifully directed movie 2 watch......its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that the gun shoot out when the girl frees her husband was really funny in this movie.......i think that this is such an underrated movie 2 watch but it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a brilliant classics movie 2 watch its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch it is a really good movie 2 watch.....i think that paul fix (.R.I.P.), was great throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a brilliant black/white movie 2 watch it is such a classics movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch but it is such a really enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch...
½ March 31, 2014
a american remake of the jap classic 'rashomon'
½ December 22, 2013
The shepherd is running away from the wolves.

A reverend at a train station is approached by a stranger. The stranger asks him what he is doing, and the reverend tells him a tale of murder, victims, and outrage by the locals. The murder was so heinous, he has decided to stop following his faith and leave the town. The stranger asks for all of the details of the murder so he can try to understand what acts could be so bad for a reverend to lose his faith and direction.

"People see what they want to see and say what they want to hear."

Martin Ritt, director of Hud, Hombre, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, Nuts, Norma Rae, The Great White Hope (1970), Paris Blues, and The Black Orchid, delivers The Outrage. The storyline for this picture is very methodical but contains brilliant subplots, character development, and wonderful dialogue. The acting is remarkable and the cast includes Paul Newman, William Shatner, Laurence Harvey, Edward Robinson, and Claire Bloom.

"All four of them lied."

The Outrage was a movie I had to DVR since it starred the great Paul Newman. I was shocked he was playing a Hispanic man and his performances actually reminded me of Marlon Brando's performance in The Teahouse of the August Moon. This is an awesome movie that comes together perfectly in the end. I strongly recommend seeing this underrated gem and potentially adding it to your DVD collection. This is definitely a first rate thriller.

"I don't murder. I kill."

Grade: A-
½ October 21, 2012
Impressive stuff from Paul Newman as Carrasco the coyote desiring the excellent Claire Boom. A young William Shatner played a wooden preacher.
½ September 6, 2012
Doesn't seem to have been a big hit...but I liked it. I guess the key was that I didn't know about the original till I had finished watching this one. The direction and cinematography was superb and is a good watch. Will try to watch the original one now but do give this a try and you won't be disappointed .
May 28, 2012
Decent remake of "Rashomon". Newman is hilarious as the Mexican bandit Carrasco.
½ March 1, 2009
Fans of Akira Kurosawa's original Rashoman might need a few minutes to adjust to this Western remake, but the quicker you accept its existence the quicker you'll be rewarded by the execution of this fine retelling. While they wait for a train, three men (William Shatner, Edward G Robinson, & Howard Da Silva) discuss what is fact and what is fiction regarding the trial of Mexican bandit, Paul Newman. Director Martin Ritt does his darndest to ape Kurosawa's grande vision, and even if it reads more as pale imitation than originality at least he manages to keep it looking pretty. Besides, it's all well-worth it for the performances. VF.
September 22, 2011
A 1964 remake of the 1950 Japanese film RASHOMON. I saw this 2 compare it w/ the original film. The movie was shot in black & white. The cinematography looks dated. I thought this movie might have a spaghetti western period look abt it. But, it has much more of stage-play feel to it. The sets are simpler and less visually interesting.

All of the actors are very good. Paul Newman, Claire Bloom, and Lawrence Harvey carried the action well. I dont think P Newman ever made a bad performance in a film. The action is limited by the staging. The story is interesting. But, I was not drawn into the action. Watching it seemed more like an archeological enterprise. RASHOMON is a much better movie.

It was an OK time w/ the flics.
February 20, 2011
This western remake of Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon closely follows Kurosawa's original, but also has a life of its own. The cinematography and editing of this film are wonderful, evoking much of the tone and quality of Kurosawa's film, but the casting leaves a lot to be desired. Paul Newman makes an admirable attempt at playing a Mexican bandit in the film, but it's an implausible character for him to play, and William Shatner is equally miscast as the priest in the film. All in all a very interesting production, though, which sensitively treats the serious questions about narrative, memory, and proof in eyewitness testimony raised by Akutogawa's original stories "Rashomon" and "In a Grove."
September 28, 2010
Slightly disappointing given the cast and good style to this film. It's kind of like an Agatha Christie western without an adequate conclusion, however the mystery flows well.
½ May 25, 2010
So-so western that uses flashbacks and different P.O.V to tell it's story. It's affective in some films, but not so much this one. Newman's performance was a waste.
½ August 29, 2010
A highly stylised (probably too stylised) remake of the Kurosawa classic Rashomon. The western genre seems to almost perfectly swap the Japan of the Kurosawa films. This remake almost works but certainly doesn't reach the highs of the Japanese classic. There is a strong cast working with excellent material, the perception of 'Truth' and the two side of human nature, good and evil, and the space in which most of us exist, if we are honest, somewhere in between. The standout performances are the three characters who narrate the story and provide the good V.s Bad, inbetween, perspectives.
Edward G Robinson is excellent as the key characters who prods and pokes the other two also waiting for the train into revealing the story of a horrendous rape and robbery. The story is told from 4 different perspective, weather they are lies or just induividuals perception of what happens. The protaganests motives are revealed and finally a true telling emerges which seems to do no service to all involved.
Bill 'The Shat' Shatner is at his intense overacting best here as the preacher whose faith is shatered by the actions of men and women but also rebuilt by the action of those same beasts.
Worth the watch but make sure that you watch Rashamon and also explore the rest of Kurosawa's films as he really is a true genius director.
August 15, 2010
In terms of plot, dialogue and action, Outrage is a Xerox copy of Japanese director Kurosawa's legendary, innovative Rashomon (1950).

Outrage transplants a Western motif - samurai becomes former Confederate colonel, channeling medium becomes Indian medicine-man, Japanese bandit becomes Mexican bandito. Perhaps more palatable to American theatre-goers, but the migration muddles.

Rashomon's a much better fit with historical elements of Japanese culture such as samurai legend, kabuki and face-saving of honor. What Southern belle would ask her husband to kill her so he wouldn't be dishonored by the shame of her being raped?

More importantly, Rashomon's innovative cinematography is mostly missing here. Kurosawa broke the 180-degree rule as the witness walks into the forest to intentionally disorient the viewer. And defied convention by shooting straight into the sun, up through the thick canopy of trees. Both done to convey entry into another world. He swings the camera 270 degrees, pivoting on a face, more than once. Kurosawa shot B&W, creating incredible visuals. Faces, simultaneously covered with shadows of leaves and mirrored natural sunlight, symbolize the co-existence of good and evil in men. Kurosawa employed left-to-right wipes for certain transitions, unseen in Outrage. Kurosawa's evocative facial close-ups, where every single drop of sweat looks precision-placed, probably inspired Sergio Leone. And Rashomon's the first use of flashback as device; in fact, Kurosawa actually employed flashback inside flashback.

Outrage is all-but-forgotten due to such directorial shortcomings; ask even an avid film fan when Edward G. Robinson played a snake-oil salesman or Paul Newman played a Mexican bandito and see just how forgotten it is.

RECOMMENDATION: If you've seen Rashomon, take a pass. If not, spin them both as double-bill - and see how great direction can easily trump great acting.
August 6, 2010
Even though it's not amazing, this is actually really interesting and well done movie. Sadly it will always be compared to Rashomon, even though the remake really tries to be something else and is hardly shot for shot. It has some great characters, Paul Newman as Carrasco is utterly ridiculous, yet hilarious at the same time. The cinematography is beautiful and even rivals Kurosawas, so in that respect it's a very worthy remake. This really is the best possible western interpretation of the story.
February 8, 2010
Paul Newman is fantastic and the direction and look of this film are top notch. Some great soliloquies as well. This one is worth a look.
September 12, 2009
Great cast is wasted in this pretensions remake of Kurosawa's brilliant "Rashomon". Nice black and white photography and Edward G. Robinson are the only reason to watch this mess (or to see William Shatner as a priest if that's your sort of thing).
September 5, 2009
Newman was great...the movie was NOT