Box Office Wrapup: "Da Vinci Code" Second Largest Global Opening in B.O. History

Summary

Despite worldwide protests and bad reviews, the heavily-hyped conspiracy thriller "The Da Vinci Code" attracted legions of fans into theaters this weekend generating the second largest global opening in box office history. Back to Article

Comments

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

This movie sucked horribly, one of the worst films of the year, I hope X-Men kills it next weekend.

May 22 - 10:51 AM

haelohm

Sean Collen

[b]THE CORE?!?![/b]
you call 12 million big business? shutup now before you make anymore rediculous comments.

May 22 - 11:12 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

Relax...Take A pill...Chill...My mistake!... A thousand pardons my fine furry friend! No need to bite the head off me for that now is there? I was simply quoting from George Bush's Book of Movie Facts and if you can't trust your president, who can you trust?

May 22 - 12:59 PM

Paul_Is_Drunk

Paul Andersen

So why didn't anyone protest Jesus Christ: Superstar? I mean it was as obviously fictional and different from the bible as this was. I think people are just a little too sensitive. (Which is ironic considering the church is not sensitive in the slightest to any other group considered 'persecuted.' "Treat us nicely but gays are evil!")

May 22 - 11:50 AM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Big suprise to me. I thought because of all the crap it's been taking from the critics, it would lost alot of $$. Guess that wasn't the case. As a Catholic, i wasn't against it, and i was not for it. I was waiting for what the critics had to say thus i did not go and will not go. Expect the tally to lower alot over the weekend. I'll be at the midnight show of X3.

Oh and... STAR WARS REMAINS KING!!!!!

May 22 - 11:52 AM

Azlam Orlandu

Azlam Orlandu

Part of me wants to say that I enjoyed some aspects of the film but the pirate side wants me to call this film "rubbish".

May 22 - 11:53 AM

Flim Springfield

Robb P

Most of the people who read the DaVinci Code and went to the movie are Christians themselves. Quit whining.

May 22 - 12:37 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]oh you are so right[/b]
the christian who protested probably dropped the signs later watched it still.

I don't think I need to say why, ok maybe I do, CHRISTIIANS are the BIGGEST mutha EFFING hypocrits in the whole EFFing world!!! Its a a fact!! Just look at all the christians have done to this world all the pain and injustice all in the name of Christianity??? I dont even know where to start, abortion is murder so its ok to bomb and murder the doctors? be merciful to others except when they are BLACK then you can keep them as slaves. Abortions is wrong becase young lives need to be saved so the priests can touch and enjoy their privates right?

give me a break, if you count all the lives lost and all the wars waged in the name if Christianity, it makes you wonder if its God at work? Or all the Christians devil worshippers.

May 22 - 12:59 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]oh you are so right[/b]
the christian who protested probably dropped the signs later watched it still.

May 22 - 12:59 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

May 22 - 12:59 PM

bhairav

Bhairav Shankar

Listen, this makes no sense at all. Why is there such a big uprisal, this is just a movie afterall? And who cares if the movie does good buisness Next week or not, I mean it has already made twice the amount of money it was made for. Angels and Demons is probably on its way out as well, and will expose something else... in the vatican...

The basic point is that the people of the orld are free, to believe what they want, If dan brown tought his bok was true, then lets leave it at that, this is pointless, keeping arguiong over a movie. If some christians drop out, then so what?.... The number of christians are rapidly reducing anyway...

It is not going to affect our lives in any way... so lest just leave this topic, and wait for X3.... and btw... i thought the movie was qiute good, and all those who din't like it went there with an intention of not liking it... it was intriguing, and suspenseful, NObody can disagree to that... and it was fun... watching the book on the screen....

May 22 - 01:52 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

whoa nogard, I think we should probably be a little bit slower to put the "worst of humanity" label on anyone. Considering Christ (and His followers) are the first to point out that mankind is fallen and sinful, I don't think is should be any suprise to find that, oh my gosh, Christians are sinners. You should try it out, and go ask any Christian if they are a sinner, I'll bet they'll be the first to tell you that they are. We all are. Taking into consideration what Hitler did, what Stalin did, and what many other non-Christians have done, the only group that should be labeled 'worst of humanity' is mankind as a whole.

May 22 - 02:26 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

wow you missed my point completely! there is a huge difference between being a sinner and a hypocrit, hypocricy is someone who comdemns other and tells other to act morally by secretly they are the ones who is inmoral. Duh yeah we all know everyone sins, but hypocrits are something else! Yeah thanx you freaking moron!

And my point is so cliche, is widely accepted fact christians are hypocrits.

May 22 - 11:25 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

I understood completely what you said, and you know, I typed up a response to that but it really isn't worth fighting over. I can't help if you're predispossed to condemning all Christians as hypocrites. Hopefully you don't judge the veracity of Christ's teachings based on your opinion of the behavior of certain fallen humans. That would be a huge mistake, and you'd really miss out.

May 24 - 12:21 PM

gregsie

greg kam

[b]its a lie[/b]
the figures are made up and its all part of a conspiracy to brainwash. cheers

May 22 - 02:30 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

And my point is so cliche, is widely accepted fact christians are hypocrits.

May 22 - 11:25 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

May 24 - 12:21 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

May 24 - 12:21 PM

bhairav

Bhairav Shankar

i agree chistians are hypocrites...

May 25 - 02:16 AM

guyverfanboy

Patrick Kerl

LOL, that would be a funny title.

May 25 - 11:52 AM

edgarandstephen

steve nonyobusiness

goes to show, audiences could care less what critics say (which is why hollywood continues to make sucky movies that make big bucks)

May 25 - 05:20 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies