Over the Top Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ January 31, 2013
Over the Top is one of those low budget action flicks of the 80's that relies on recycled ideas from previous films. In this case, this is basically Rocky with Arm Wrestling. Menahem Golan directs this picture, and the result is a somewhat decent action flick that has plenty of flaws, but is worth seeing at least once. The film's title is appropriate for this film, as it is a very silly idea for a film. I had heard plenty of things from this film, but I was slightly disappointed with this film, and the end result is a picture that leaves a lot to be desired. Although entertaining, this is a film that is quite forgettable and is not one that is Sylvester Stallone's best. Luckily for Sly he has made some stellar films before this one, and he would recapture his magic with Rambo III. The film is amusing for what it is, and it plays out like a guilty pleasure. Is the film decent, yes it is, but is not a film that is worth re watching again and again. The film's biggest problem is the formulaic plot and predictable ending. Another factor is the acting, it is quite subpar for Stallone, and he is underwhelming here as well. The actor playing his kid is quite annoying and just ruined the overall enjoyment. Over the Top could have been a great film, and it did have some ideas that worked, but most of the time, the film fell a little flat and it simply just left a lot to be desired in terms of a quality film. I liked it, but it was decent and nothing ever great. The lazy script and lack of original ideas was what made this one not standout among Sly's other films.
July 18, 2010
Sly wins the hearts of everyone again as the underdog arm-wrestling champion Lincoln Hawk. It's more a father and son movie than anything else, but no one should downgrade it for being family friendly. It's so good at what it is and Sly gets to cause enough destruction even within the PG guidelines. It's very 80s and sort've in the same reign as Tango and Cash, which I'm a huge fan of also.
½ October 8, 2009
Stallone's one of my favorite actors of all time, and this is a good movie, but not one of my favorites from the Stallone library. I prefer more action.
movieguru12
September 7, 2008
Great movie. Stallone is a excellent actor never mind what the stupid critics say. Stallone proves he's champion wheather he's saving pow's from Vietnam, competing for the heavyweight championship of the world for boxing, and in this case arm wrestling. Stallone...you rock!!! I love this movie!
DragonEyeMorrison
February 17, 2008
The title just barely begins to describe this.
skactopus
October 5, 2007
Arm Wrestling. Here is one of those topics where you don't see movies on everyday. Just like Balls of Fury did with ping pong.The story is actually pretty lame and somewhat corny. Basically it comes down to Sylvester Stallone arm wrestling for the custody of his son. The arm wrestling part of this film isn't so bad, but it just takes too long to get to it. The first hour of this 90 minute movie is all drama and emotion. This film tries to build up the relationship between Hawk(Stallone) and his son. It is sweet and all, but it just ends up boring. It is just too much to endure before you actually get to the arm wrestling. You have to wait even longer for the full-on matches since the film rushes through the early rounds as if it was yesterdays news. It would have been nice to have had this film revolve around the tournament itself, rather than just adding it on for the finale.The acting is only OK. Stallone was meant for action movies and every so often he can pull off a drama. An example of a successful drama is Copland. This film is not one of his successes. I don't think most people will consider arm wrestling as action scenes either.There are many other Stallone films out there and most of them are better than this. Try Copland if you want to see a great Stallone film that doesn't involve action.
½ August 8, 2007
A fun country-flavoured sports competition movie. Arm wrestling seems less exciting than boxing and wrestling, but the variety of competitors shown in this movie is fun. Stallone is tough and funny as usual. It's a rough world, and a bit of a shock that a kid would be introduced to it; but it works.
½ November 26, 2006
This is a horrible, horrible movie. Kenny Loggins soundtrack and all.
deano
½ November 21, 2006
Awesome movie ever made about arm wrestling at the first time I watched.
½ June 13, 2006
Fight for your son! Yeah! Through Arm Wrestling Matches! Hell Yeah!
March 5, 2006
Kenny Loggins said it best: Meet me half way....Across the sky. A real tear jerker.
July 5, 2013
Sylvester Stallone leads the cast in Over the Top, a campy and heartwarming family film. The story follows long haul truck driver Lincoln Hawk as he takes his estranged son Mike on a road trip, but he'll have to fight to keep him when Mike's grandfather attempts to get custody. The plot's not that bad, except for when it tries to be a sports film about arm wrestling (which is just weird). Still, the arm wrestling championship is so incredibly cheesy that it's fun. And Stallone has the charisma to sell just about anything, making it rather easy to go on this ride with him. Additionally, the film has a great soundtrack that features some classic '80s hits such as "Meet Me Half Way," and "Winner Takes It All." Though there's some unevenness, Over the Top has a charm to it that makes it entertaining and fun.
½ August 24, 2011
Full Review Coming!
xxdebxx
January 4, 2010
Sly Stallone stars as Lincoln Hawk, a father who is desperately trying to get to know his son whom he deserted years earlier. He ends up entering an arm wrestling tournament to win some extra cash and the approval of his son.
The "sport" of arm wrestling is a barbaric throwback from the dark ages but what fun it is to witness two big, strapping guys hold hands and try to out-muscle each other, lol.
divinetrash
½ December 20, 2007
Doesn't matter how unintentionally hilarious this is (and, oh my, there's not a single laugh-free scene in this movie), it doesn't take away the fact that it's a Sylvester Stallone movie ABOUT FUCKING ARM-WRESTLING! As the film's only defense, it's not over-the-top, just plain bad.
½ July 4, 2008
The greatest arm wrestling movies of all time. Need I say more?
March 10, 2008
i loved this movie and i remeber got us all arm wrestling upon its release wish stallone would put out movies like this still topday he might still have a career
July 8, 2012
It's a movie about arm wrestling. What more can you ask for? Stallone really knows how to make these competition movies work. The kid gets on your nerves from the start, but Stallone holds it together with his surprisngly quiet and heartfelt performance.

Grade: B
December 4, 2011
February 11, 2011
Slow start, slow pace, not much to cheer for make this movie difficult to watch. Stallone is lackluster in his performance of an out of touch father who tries to win back the love of his son after his wifes untimely death. With a small amount of effort, supposed years of neglect are overcome when Stallone's son roots for him to win it all in the national arm wrestling competition in Las Vegas. I am guessing that not to many movies involve the sport of arm wrestling for good reason.