Am I the only one who thinks this looks terrible?

I don't care if anyone thinks I'm wrong, but I just think this looks awful.
Cody H.
03-2-2013 01:15 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Ryan M.

Ryan McGovern

I agree. Everyone who disliked this movie should watch my breakdown, An Incomplete History of Oz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA6RB_fET4o

Mar 22 - 04:02 PM

Patrick Ross

Patrick Ross

This is the worst movie I've seen in years.

Mar 22 - 03:02 PM

Daniel Collins

Daniel Collins

Eek. This movie was awful. I went in with low expectations, but a fan of James Franco, so I figured it would be ok. I felt like the majority of the movie was spent trying to be a promotional film for 3D effects (but we watched the 2d version). My wife sister and I all agreed after an hour we'd had all we could take, we left and got movie vouchers from the theater. Usually I want to find out what happens at the end of a movie, my curiosity couldn't take this movie enough to care though.

Mar 22 - 12:40 PM

Jay Turnbow

Jay Turnbow

I thought it was OK, the I really did not care at all for the acting of the witches, they could have chosen better actresses

Mar 11 - 03:30 PM

James M.

James Maisen

i agree with you. just got back and was a bit disappointed with it to be honest

Mar 11 - 12:25 PM

Carl Orsbourn

Carl Orsbourn

3* for me. okay if you are bringing a 7 year old in tow.

Mar 11 - 08:03 AM

Gila Fortinsky

Gila Fortinsky

Could not agree more, such a disappointment, even my son couldn't take it and fell asleep. The color was awful, the plot so degrading, nothing beyond women crushing Oz and getting their hearts broken -- none of the brilliance of Wicked, not even close. The dialogue was almost painfully embarrassing to watch, I felt sorry for the actors.

Mar 11 - 06:13 AM

Jim Stranahan

Jim Stranahan

What a terrible movie. A great lesson in how CGI can keep the audience at arms distance (or farther) from engagement with the characters. I felt nothing for these cardboard cutouts. No emotional attachment whatsoever, which is just one reason the original a classic to this day.

Further, the concept Is flawed.The makers of Great and Powerful seem to have forgotten that these characters were a product of Dorothy's dream/unconscience after getting hit by a window during a tornado. The characters were based on people Dorothy knew. So is this prequel a story of the beginning of Dorothy's dream state? In the black and white beginning of G&P we see Oz in "real life" carried to the full color of Dorothy's dreamscape, but Oz hasn't even met Dorothy yet. How does he return to meet Dorothy in the B&W "real world"? Bad, bad, bad.

If you are a aficionado of the Original wizard of Oz, this movie will have leaving the theater disappointed and PO'd at the lack of thought that went into this mess. Beware. And your little dog too.

Mar 10 - 11:01 PM

Luis Torres

Luis Torres

I feel like it was pretty obvious that the characters here were a product of Oscar Diggs' unconscious dreams and desires. Moreover, I thought the scenery and color was one of the parts of the movie that really worked. Yes, it looks kind of fake, as most fantastical cinema art does. Get over it and enjoy the movie, or don't and write one of these sourpuss reviews. Personally I thought the acting of the two leads was the only part that brought the movie down.

Mar 11 - 10:37 AM

Jim Stranahan

Jim Stranahan

Get over it? I would no more "get over it" than you would of your opinion of it. Just give your opinion, and leave the attitude behind. Why the attack?

Mar 11 - 01:25 PM

Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty

Agreed. I thought the CGI was much too fake looking(not just "kind of"). Other movies have created much better fantasy forests than this one (Snow White and the Huntsman, Avatar, Legend). Script, especially the dialogue was awful. Made good actors appear wooden.

Mar 22 - 01:05 AM

Kenia Jimenez

Kenia Jimenez

I disliked it,I think this is one of the few times when I wanted the bad side to win. Glinda annoyed me and Oz's character development was non-existent. Not to mention that he broke Theodora's heart and then acted like a condescending bastard. Only redeeming factor was that they used the "magic"of the mind to fight the battle, that was pretty cool and his goggles were legit.

Mar 10 - 07:35 PM

ray l.

ray landry

I loved it.

Mar 10 - 06:20 PM

Pam Jones

Pam Jones

never go into something expecting too much, cos that's when you'll be the most disappointed. my teen girls and i saw it yesterday, and we enjoyed the entertainment value of it. that's basically the only expectation i had: will i be entertained? and for the most part, i was.

Mar 10 - 02:53 PM

Patric McLeod

Patric McLeod

It was ok, It was entertaining. But it was weak in telling a real story. Sort of a comedy set to a classic. Lacked brains - and nerve.

Mar 10 - 12:29 PM

Li Wright

Li Wright

It wasn't terrible terrible, but it sure was a snore. In fact, I think I did doze off in the middle.

Mar 9 - 03:48 PM

Brad Lukosevic

Brad Lukosevic

great movie. the wicked witch however was a bit over the top.the makeup on her looks like it was bought at rite aid and she should ask for a refund

Mar 8 - 06:53 PM

Perri Dean

Perri Dean

this had the opportunity to become a classic, but it's a disney film in every sense. it has the cutsie flying bear, the china girl, whom im sure disney will make a fortune on. i was hugely disappointed. the previews surely let me down. long live the 'wizard of oz'.

Mar 8 - 06:46 PM

Virginia Lee

Virginia Lee

...Monkey. Finley is a flying monkey.

Mar 10 - 08:31 AM

Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson

A very Forgettable movie. Where are the geniuses of the 30's and 40's who know how to make a lasting masterpiece. Not here.

Mar 8 - 06:32 PM

Pam Jones

Pam Jones

while i found oz entertaining enough, and probably more appealing to kids than anything (which is what i'm sure they will capitalize on), i'm with you about movies of old...even the actors from back then are better. i have a few that i like now, but give me the classics.

Mar 10 - 02:49 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

I hate CGI with a passion so you know I agree with you.

Mar 8 - 04:03 PM

carlosstoneking

carlos stoneking

It was horrible this was a blasphemy to the original it was so bad

Mar 8 - 02:40 PM

Antonio Carrasco

Antonio Carrasco

It was charm, humor and great acting that made the original film so great. This new movie looks like a bunch of masturbatory special effects.

Mar 8 - 11:22 AM

Jerry Cassidy

Jerry Cassidy

I went to the movie with low expectations, and even those were not met. Pitiful...

Mar 8 - 07:50 AM

Lancol E.

Lancol Et

Looks better than The hobbit

Mar 8 - 04:22 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I didn't even see the Hobbit and I disagree with you.

Mar 8 - 01:17 PM

carlosstoneking

carlos stoneking

this garbage movie doesn't even deserve to be on a shelf next to the cartoon version of the hobbit on VHS

Mar 8 - 02:40 PM

Sadiq Ansari

Sadiq Ansari

This was perhaps the worst movie i've ever seen.

Mar 8 - 12:01 AM

Virginia Lee

Virginia Lee

You need to see more movies, then.

Mar 10 - 08:32 AM

Corey Mills

Corey Mills

Damn, people are so cynical & hard to please! Lighten up, geez! I saw it today & thought it was extremely entertaining, nothing more, nothing less! The story was fun, the acting was fine & the special effects & make-up were incredible. Do people actually go to the movies to just be simply entertained anymore?

Mar 7 - 10:12 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Yeah, but we're allowed to be disappointed when we don't like it.

Mar 8 - 09:29 PM

Gila Fortinsky

Gila Fortinsky

Especially when the original was a masterpiece. This doesn't do it justice.

Mar 11 - 06:15 AM

Alvin P

Alvin P

Nope. I saw an extended preview on the Disney channel, and it looked awful. Some of the visuals were nice, but the dialog and James Franco were really flat. I might take my kids if they want to see it but not something I'd choose on my own.

Mar 7 - 04:39 PM

DO NOT FORGET MY NAME

Jesus Christ

If you saw it on the bloody DISNEY CHANNEL...Yeah that was a dick move on their part.

Jul 26 - 05:10 AM

Carson Checketts

Carson Checketts

I think it looks pretty good.

Mar 7 - 12:20 PM

Josh Sweetow

Josh Sweetow

You're definitely not the only one. Leave the classics alone!

Mar 7 - 11:50 AM

cfergojr

Christopher Fergo

Can't be worse than Alice in Wonderland.

Mar 7 - 11:20 AM

Sheepy Sheep

Sheepy Sheep

James Franco was miscast. I did not see it in 3D and it was awkward whenever there was something that was there just to take advantage of the 3D, especially during the black and white opening. And it looked more like a Tim Burton movie, which would be okay if it had been directed by Tim Burton.

Mar 7 - 02:11 AM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

Not in the slightest.

Mar 6 - 09:29 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

No.

Mar 5 - 06:11 PM

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

I don't think it looks terrible at all. I love Sam Raimi. I'm just trying to figure out an excuse to see it and I'm not asking my friends to go see Oz with me lol.

Mar 5 - 02:11 PM

Justin

Justin R

Worth a watch. Ill check it out on Friday.

Mar 5 - 12:41 PM

Ricky Hale

Ricky Hale

Going to see it this Friday. I heard that if you look at it with a young heart, you should enjoy it. Not expecting too much, just going to enjoy the campiness and 3d IMAX craziness of it all.

Mar 5 - 11:45 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Coming from someone who didn't like Wizard of Oz, this looks like it could be decent. It has a good director, a great cast, and while there is a shit ton of CG, visually, it looks alright. Better than Giant Slayer, anyway. I'll probably check it out when it gets a Blu-ray release.

Mar 4 - 10:59 PM

Kenneth Elliott

Kenneth Elliott

I wouldn't say it looks "awful," but without Dorothy, this film is totally, completely unnecessary. For those who criticized the Star Wars prequels because "we all know how it all ended," shoudln't the same reasoning apply with this?

Mar 4 - 07:37 PM

Manuel Lopez

Manuel Lopez

That's a ridiculous assumption. Have you seen the Broadway show Wicked? It's all about Oz before Dorothy got there and it's amazing, critically acclaimed award winning story and it gives the movie so much more depth and makes it that much more interesting. I'm hoping this new Oz tale provides another perspective to the story.

Mar 5 - 11:50 AM

Patric McLeod

Patric McLeod

Yeah, if you didn't actually read the book Wicked, the play's great. Once you've read the book, you realize how much background information is missing, such as, Elphaba, aka The Wicked Witch of The West, was actually the daughter of the equivalent of the Pope. And, to add irony to it, SHE was supposed to inherit the title - which meant, she would BE the POPE!!!
So, the play's cool, but it left out a hell of a lot of information.

Mar 5 - 07:25 PM

Christopher Saunders

Christopher Saunders

I saw it last weekend, and it sucked. Just sucked. Even the reliable Danny Elfman phoned it in. This is yet another misfire by Disney

Mar 4 - 05:24 PM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

If Raimi still had the mindset of Evil Dead 2 this would be very interesting but he's been marvelized....oh well

Mar 4 - 11:27 AM

Anthony L.

Anthony L.

No, I don't think this looks terrible. It's just not my thing.

Mar 4 - 04:33 AM

Mark Meyers

Mark Meyers

I agree, it doesn't look terrible. It looks horrible. But it has the Disney label attached so it'll fly. My guess is James Franco will get by unscathed, once again, blaming the writing and not his ability to create a genuinely interesting character.

Mar 4 - 10:33 AM

Glenn Vaughn

Glenn Vaughn

horrible>terrible?

Mar 5 - 05:45 PM

Mark Meyers

Mark Meyers

It was a TERRIBLE accident. (many cas were damaged)
It was a HORRIBLE accident. (many cars were totaled and people were killed)
Okay?

Mar 8 - 11:38 AM

Patric McLeod

Patric McLeod

No, you're not the only one.
Having said that, I'll still be going opening day, rushing at the theatre doors the same way the people of Oz did when the Wicked Witch of The West went flying over their city and they all cried out, "The Wizard! The Wizard will save us!"
I just want to see if Theodora is actually The Wicket Witch of The West ('cuz one of 'em sure is!). I saw Wicked in San Francisco, back in 2003, before it ever hit Broadway, and liked it (the book is vastly better: the play's not even 1/10 as good. You find out that Elphaba (The Wicked Witch in "Wicked" the play, is actually the heir apparent who was destined to be the POPE of her land. Talk about irony. Her father IS the current Pope, and she's supposed to take over. As I said, the book's fantastically well written). So, I'll give "Oz" a shot, but I'm preparing myself NOT to be disappointed, and just enjoy it as much as i can. But i still thin it's going to be a poorly done movie: the trailers so far have been trite, banal, unimaginative and just plain foolish. But, as the Cowardly Lion said, upon being told he was going to have to lead them into the Witch's Castle, "I'll do it for Dorothy."

Mar 3 - 03:22 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Fifty Shades of Gey

Mar 5 - 12:21 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

I was about to put a dicussion just like yours. I didn't think this movie will be that good. I'm not going to watch it.

Mar 3 - 01:45 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

I was about to put a dicussion just like yours. I didn't think this movie will be that good. I'm going to watch it.

Mar 3 - 01:43 PM

Chuck Shingledecker

Chuck Shingledecker

Yes!
;)

Chris Bode

Chris Bode

This movie looks like someone puked all over the screen and they used it for CGI. CGI looks best when it is used to enhance live action, like Gollum in LOTR. I think green screen should be used only when absolutely necessary when there is no other way to do the shot. It has 70% now which means it will be lucky to have 50-60% when all the reviews are in.

Mar 3 - 08:32 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

totally true

hollis m.

hollis mills

i will see it

Mar 2 - 06:07 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

The green screen looks atrocious, but the movie itself looks average

Mar 2 - 04:37 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I think it looks like it could be really good. I was VERY hesitant about it at first but it seems to be getting good reviews and the trailers are pretty good so I'll give it a chance.

Mar 2 - 04:26 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

This looks dumb as shit.

Mar 2 - 02:42 PM

Ty Inhofe

Ty Inhofe

Are you on crack?

Mar 2 - 02:32 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Are you?