Mash-up, Rip-off, lame lame lame

Aliens coming from the ocean/ground = War of Worlds, Battleship
Giant robots controlled from the inside = Neon Genesis Evangelion
Giant reptiles attacking city = Godzilla
It looks like the next Transformers, except lamer. I can predict all action/visual, no story.
Tom S.
12-20-2012 06:36 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Nathan Salter

Nathan Salter

Loved it, saw nothing wrong with it at all. Guess people are just butthurt about this being a new movie that's actually making grounds in the mecha genre.

Oct 8 - 03:02 AM

Adi Putra Wijaya

Adi Putra Wijaya

this is better than transformer, only because transformer have shia le bauff screamfest from start to end. I don't know why people got butthurt over this movie. I like japanese mecha better than western robot, anime rather than hollywood movie. and this movie is just my taste.

Oct 2 - 05:33 AM

Tessa Buxton

Tessa Buxton

Seriously, what's the complaint, PR is Neon Genesis Evangelion without all the navel gazing and existentialism. That doesn't mean Evangelion is bad, but I wouldn't go to the cinema to see it

Aug 6 - 09:00 AM

James Brooks

James Brooks

this was great and if you think otherwise you have no sense of fun

Aug 3 - 05:55 PM

Harry Soung

Harry Soung

Bump

Aug 2 - 02:22 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Majestic Pigbutt Worm

Die.

Aug 2 - 03:57 PM

Harry Soung

Harry Soung

no u

Aug 3 - 12:04 PM

Brian Sams

Brian Sams

Painfully reminiscent of a Power Rangers episode. At the end I was expecting five of the Jaegers to form a battle lion. I may be underestimating the power of close quarters combat, mainly punching, but it seemed improbable that the same species that developed the elephant gun over a hundred years ago would resort to such tactics...

Aug 2 - 12:56 PM

Terasina Marchese

Terasina Marchese

i watched it today.... i found it very predicable and the dialogue was very cheesy..I expected more from Del Toro. The acting was quite mixed too..:/ if you like action then i recommend it, but their wasn't a lot of character substance.

Jul 27 - 09:05 PM

Big Daddy101

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

Marry Me!

Jul 27 - 09:14 PM

Jeremy Bartholomew

Jeremy Bartholomew

um they told you the whole story in the opening sequence. it wasn't a thriller, of course it's predictable. duh. it was great for what it was. i watch a lot of anime and read a lot of manga. totally was a tribute to that genre. this movie was better than The Wolverine.

Jul 29 - 03:19 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Hollywood is running out of NAME talent

Jul 27 - 12:27 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Fight me, Mesa.

Jul 28 - 12:00 AM

Stjepan P.

Stjepan Perkovic

And you were so right, sir. It was pretty good action, but I expected more from the creator of Pan's Labyrinth. So much room for originality, just to take ideas from anime masterpieces.. only thing they didn't copy was HQ (Nerv) - pretty much everything else (drift, international teams, frequently emerging aliens/angles) was "borrowed". Just like Nikola Tesla said:"I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own".

Jul 26 - 12:37 AM

This comment has been removed.

Diego Tutweiller

Because it's a great thread! Bump!

Jul 27 - 12:37 PM

Isaac T.

Isaac Tetreault

Although, yes, del Toro's masterpiece is Pans labyrinth, he also made hellboy. Good visuals, good action, terribly corny dialouge...... Anyone see a conection?

Jul 30 - 12:45 PM

makana793

Ryan Loy

I thought it was a great.

Jul 22 - 12:18 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Damn it, people! Stop bumping up this damned troll thread!

Jul 22 - 08:35 AM

Vince Almaraz

Vince Almaraz

I expected a very bad movie, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a silly fun movie, but it's not annoying like Transformers. The characters are actually very good and they at least attempted to insert a nice human interest story. It was predictable, but okay.

Jul 22 - 08:33 AM

Xando Jones

Xando Jones

Pacific Rim surpassed my expectations. Admittedly, these expectations weren't very high to begin with. I found myself liking the film more than I thought I would. It is very well done, well-paced, quite enjoyable. It did its job as an entertaining summer movie and I walked away not regretting ponying up the IMAX ticket price.

There was nostalgia on my part, too. I walked out of there remembering the time years ago when my dad took me to "War of the Gargantuans", an old Japanese Godzilla-like b-movie from ages ago.

Jul 20 - 11:23 PM

George Wassil

George Wassil

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Visually, I really liked the worn look of all the mechanics that went into the Jaegers. Monster/ Jaeger Pilot intercuts in the fight scenes kept you engaged with the human elements. Plot is decent although there were a few predictable turns. Only thing that bothered me was the too pat two endings.

Jul 20 - 06:11 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I like how all your examples of the movies it ripped off are movies that weren't the first to use those elements.

Jul 18 - 10:01 PM

Marc Vitagliano

Marc Vitagliano

mmmm trolllllll mmmmmn

Jul 17 - 02:14 PM

I.Zombie

Douglas Cameron

Tom you really have no clue what you are talking about.

Jul 15 - 07:35 AM

Bradley Timm

Bradley Timm

Hey Tom, you ever hear of homage? Del Toro is bringing these genres - that he loves - to life in ways nobody has yet. He's a proven visionary director, and you obviously don't have a grasp on any of these things because your uninformed and hasty reaction was that this movie was going to suck. Guess what? You were wrong.

Jul 15 - 02:13 AM

Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister

Hmm. Was better than I was expecting it to be. Some rather cheesy moments but the action was great, story was interesting and while I would have liked more time spent with the main duo I suppose the mind meld device made any relationship building unneeded...

Jul 14 - 07:35 PM

Luke Rathburn

Luke Rathburn

None of those movies you listed were the first to do the things they did. Try harder.

Jul 13 - 05:41 PM

Peter Hand

Peter Hand

Since almost everything is derivative these days, I give him a pass, but this is a B "Godzilla VS the Robot" action flick with A-class special effects. The acting was almost completely non-existent and doesn't _anyone_ have a problem with Robots boxing mutant dinosaurs being the solution to this "invasion"? The story line was a comedy, right? Because this is the best MST3K flick in recent memory.

Jul 13 - 02:13 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

I felt like that was what they were going for. could be wrong though.

Jul 13 - 04:35 PM

Pratama Eka

Pratama Eka

read the prequel comic

Jul 14 - 01:36 AM

Walter Trush

Walter Trush

Well that's a pretty ignorant series of observations. First off it helps to actually see the movie to give a accurate judgement. Gulliermo Del Toro does rip anything off, he takes inspiration for genres that haven't been done in a while (kaiju), and genres have not been done well recently (giant robots)and he puts his own artistic flair to it and there is a way to make action/visual worth seeing and that's in this movie or it could be done where it has no direction like Transformers, and just comparing Michael Bay's work to Del Toro's is just a huge insult to Del Toro who actually cares about what he makes.

Jul 13 - 01:16 PM

Duncan Oliver

Duncan Oliver

no should say anything bad about the movie im sure its great in the areas it trying to be what you should be disappointed in is that fact that del torro wants people to belive he came up with the idea himself which if you anyone in the film world would have heard of Neon Genesis Evangelion which this is a carbon copy of give 1 change to protect maker of copyright breach imo id have just choosen to make the live action version of Neon Genesis Evangelion and name it like wise then try to have people like a poor cheaper version of the same things just so they could save some money in the Rights part of it production but that my opinions hate me or agree with me up to you but bye

Jul 13 - 11:48 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

you know he hasn't seen NGE, right?

Jul 13 - 11:56 AM

Trevail Campbell

Trevail Campbell

Ummm....wait. What?

Jul 13 - 10:56 PM

Bradley Timm

Bradley Timm

Holy run on sentence. Terrible writing technique. Equally poor spelling... what gives you the credentials to blather like this again?

Jul 15 - 02:15 AM

Isaac T.

Isaac Tetreault

Do you know what a proper sentace looks like?

Jul 30 - 12:49 PM

Matthew Ayupwn

Matthew Ayupwn

The movie was definitely the love letter Del Toro wanted to make.
If you aren't a fan of classic monster movies or mech animes you will be blown away regardless because 4 of my friends who doubted this film were surprised and went out of control. I'm a fan of both so this movie was basically a wild fantasy coming true. The acting was up and down but at heart you never care about the acting in a monster movie. The plot was about as basic as another Godzilla movies (mostly Destroy All Monsters)
but the actions...Holy hell they were so much better than expected.
In a summer of super heroes and sequels we are blessed with a movie that was inspired by a genre that went dormant for a while.

Worth it.

Jul 12 - 09:01 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Reviews like this make me more excited for this, which I will be seeing in roughly 2 hrs.

Jul 12 - 09:07 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

you won't regret it

Jul 12 - 01:58 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Your movie was shit.

Jul 11 - 10:51 PM

Aaron Kordish

Aaron Kordish

Who was that?

Jul 14 - 05:36 PM

Patrick Fairchild

Patrick Fairchild

So according to your logic; there can only be one monster movie, only one action movie, and only one any-genre-that-exists movie.
Just adds to the piss-poor community on the joke of a site, Rotten Tomatoes.

Jul 11 - 10:43 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Hey, man there are good people on this site.

Jul 12 - 08:13 AM

Patrick Fairchild

Patrick Fairchild

I know. It's idiots like Tom and any other troll on this site that make Rotten Tomatoes look like garbage.

Jul 12 - 09:04 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I agree with you there.

Jul 13 - 02:15 PM

Eli VanZandt

Eli VanZandt

You, sir, are cut from the rest of us. Sorry, I saw this movie, and there was NOTHING like Evangelion.

And let me put these past you. Aliens came from another dimension, whose rift happened to appear in the Pacific. The Jaegers are piloted by two people, and the concept of people piloting mechs has been around since GUNDAM and SUPER SENTAI! So, technically, Evangelion ripped off Gundam and Sentai. And GDT said himself that this was a homage to the kaiju movies. It's a genre! Deal with it!

You may see yourself out.

Jul 11 - 09:08 PM

Tayo Akomolede

Tayo Akomlede

Just saw this movie in IMAX 3D and like the average movie goer I was so preoccupied by the amazing visuals that I didn't notice too many of the film's flaws right away. The action scenes in this movie completely shit all over Man of Steel (I didn't see Iron Man 3 or the new Star Trek so I can't compare it to those) but the dialogue was a little cheesy even though I thought the acting was good overall. The premise behind using giant robots to fight the giant sea monsters didn't seem all that logical until the final scene of the movie, though they showed that the monsters were impervious when attacked by fighter jets (couldn't you just mount more powerful weapons on fighter jets? I mean maybe not as powerful as a nuke but you'll get what I mean when you watch the film). Besides that, the rest of the film was solid and I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to see a proper summer blockbuster this season.

Jul 11 - 08:32 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Fighter jets, no matter how powerful the weapons they carry = useless in a Mecha universe where humongous monsters roam free.
Aren't you aware of the laws of Nologic that rule mecha anime?

Jul 12 - 08:08 AM

Tayo Akomolede

Tayo Akomlede

My apologies. I count myself as ignorant for not understanding this basic logic.

Jul 13 - 04:16 PM

Pratama Eka

Pratama Eka

conventional weaponry takes a long time to kill them and kaiju blood is toxic. If they were defeated in the city, the populace would be killed by their blood.
that's why they made the jaegers, so they can stop the kaiju from ever reaching the city. The reason for the Miracle one mile. The *new option*(spoilers) also serve the same purpose which is to keep kaiju out of populated areas, although we see how well that works.

Jul 14 - 01:41 AM

Shawn Clancy

Shawn Clancy

Yeah. Because all those things were done by those series and films first. This isn't a ripoff, it is a collection of influences. Just like any other film. I guess all the things you listed are just rip-offs of Don Juan, the first movie to use sound? Or the great train robbery?

This is the first time hollywood money and a real director have been allowed to take on this niche genre. We should be celebrating both its existence and the possibility that more chances like this could be taken by hollywood, not tearing it down because it is influenced by other things (that themselves were basically rip offs of Gundam or Macross).

But no. Showing how much of a contrarian fanboy you are is much more important than that. Newsflash: knowing things about anime and Japan doesn't make you unique or different. Anime has been borderline mainstream for a while.

Jul 11 - 06:26 PM

Misha HJ

Misha HJ

How I know you are an ignorant, Tom? Because you're saying NGE has robots. The EVAs aren't robots at all.

Jul 10 - 04:55 PM

Chadly Z

Chad Schulz

Ok, I feel the need to add some things. I must be old and have seen waaaay too many movies because this looks more to me like the man-made machines in the movie " Robot Jox" (that is the correct spelling) up against whatever monster you want, Goldzilla, leviathan and I am sure It will be an excellently cgi action and look "awesome" but let me just say that movies like this become classics ONLY because the story is worth watching over and over again. Examples would be,Blade Runner, Star Wars(Eps. 4-6), Jurassic Park, The Matrix, The Terminator, T-2 just to name a few.
Now I am sure there are a lot of Guillermo del Toro fans on here but Frankly don't understand the whole "Pan's Labrynth" was such a great movie. I personally was bored/lost after 25min of it and although it was visually interesting wasn't really all "that".
My point is that in the end it looks just this side of every other cgi movie that has been made for like the last 7-10 years, which pretty much is " Wow look what stuff 'we' can do with cgi, but you'll have to give us a break on the character development and script as we didn't have enough money for both." or "we just don't care to find something gripping/interesting to make a film about!" but theaters keep upping the price of admission and it is getting to where I can totally find something guaranteed tobe more entertaining for the same amount or less for 2 hours.
I love watching movies at the theatre btw, and so should you but arguing about any movie if it may be worthy is stupid. Go see it if you're gonna go and don't if you are not interested. Simple ;-)

Jul 10 - 04:38 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

You type like you are above all the Hollywood hum-drum, and then you go to say you didn't get Pan's Labyrinth. I'm going to take your opinion with a grain of salt. I would also suggest you gie Cronos and The Devil's Backbone a try. Those are some of del Toro's best.

Jul 10 - 07:28 PM

Chadly Z

Chad Schulz

Thanks Brian I will check into those:-)

Jul 11 - 11:30 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

LOL laughing at all the fanboys who disagree with this TRUE thread.

Jul 10 - 08:55 AM

Onion Rovirosa

Onion Rovirosa

Michael Bay? is that you?

Jul 9 - 10:42 PM

cinematografo

Lore G.

So much empty talk from people that don't have connections to get in and see a preview... Keep guessing, boys. You love to impress each other with trash talk and nothing to say

Jul 9 - 08:49 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler

^^This^^

Jul 9 - 07:50 PM

Ian Woods

Ian Woods

Tom = Uncle Tom, Tom Jones, Thomas Jefferson, Tom Thumb, Thomas the Tank Engine, Old Tom, Really Old Tom, Dead Tom (extra points if you get those last three)

Smith = John Smith, Blacksmith, Wordsmith, Smith & Sons, Elliot Smith, The Smiths, Agent Smith

I predict all fatuous comments from an unlettered loudmouth, and no concrete evidence of his tired complaints.

Jul 9 - 01:04 PM

Willem DaPerson

Willem DaPerson

I appreciate the sassy comment, but hats off to the Muppets reference.

Jul 9 - 02:46 PM

Daniel Learmouth

Daniel Learmouth

Except the mechs from Neon Genesis Evangelion AREN'T EVEN MECHS. If anything, you're looking for Gundam.
That, and...it's a 'kaiju' movie. All kaiju movies came from Godzilla. What the hell do you expect?

Jul 9 - 12:41 PM

Eko Prasetyo

Eko Prasetyo

they're mechs alright, bionic mechs :)
But yes, accurately it should be akin to Gundam, or Voltron

Jul 9 - 10:33 PM

John Paterson

John Paterson

Yeah bionic mechs or androids would be the best way to describe EVA's.

Jul 12 - 08:58 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Not Gundam. Look Go Nagai in Google, please.

Jul 10 - 06:34 AM

Jus

Ja Ral

Nope. This is a Power Ranger flick for adults.

Jul 9 - 12:34 PM

Dwayne Roberts

Dwayne Roberts

Ahahahaha i havnt seen the movie yet .... Just the trailer and thats exactly what i thought....this looks like a 2013 version of the power rangers .... Whats next captain planet?

Jul 17 - 01:07 AM

Ricky Gomez

Ricky Gomez

Hahahaha this idiot calling it a blatant Evangelion ripoff. Hey guess what? Del Toro's NEVER EVEN SEEN EVANGELION, so I guess your little theory just falls flat right there bro.

What is Gunbuster? What is Gundam? What is Mazinger? What are kaiju movies?

Jul 9 - 09:17 AM

Diego Tutweiller

I love how you know exactly what Del Toro has seen and not seen. Are you guys close friends?

Jul 9 - 09:22 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Considering Del Toro's Mexican and Kaiju films and Mazinger were incredibly popular in the 70's in Mexico... I guess there's a chance he saw at least those two.

Jul 10 - 06:35 AM

John Paterson

John Paterson

Del Toro has seen at least some anime though he even said he raised his daughters on Patlabor. So he is an anime fan. I'm saying he's ripped off any anime though. Del Toro just said he was inspired by a lot of those series and films.

Jul 12 - 09:01 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Also he said in an interview he hadn't seen it.

Jul 10 - 07:57 PM

Daniel Learmouth

Daniel Learmouth

I wanna befriend you now...

Jul 9 - 12:43 PM

Rotten tomatos fails R.

Rotten tomatos fails Rt fails

Lool so many people on this thread got their ass/stupid opinions handed to them by del toro

Jul 9 - 08:26 AM

Diego Tutweiller

Oh look, it's that moron from the Man of Steel threads. So now that the Tomatometer agrees with you, it's suddenly right again? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Jul 9 - 08:27 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Damn straight.

Jul 9 - 08:32 AM

Diego Tutweiller

Lol, it's ridiculous. His NAME is "Rotten tomatos fails Rt fails" (clearly misspelled), and now he's acting like this website that he doesn't give a shit about is gospel. Fuckin' dumb, man.

Jul 9 - 08:55 AM

Dawn Havard

Dawn Havard

Despite all the trailers around, I'm still not sure what the MOVIE is all about and I think that's the problem. If people are going to relate, you need people in the movie, not just giant things from outer space/inner space/?????WTF?

Jul 9 - 07:10 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

It's about monsters who rise up from a portal in the ocean, wreaking havoc on the city until we make giant mechas and fight back.

Jul 9 - 07:14 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Pretty much what Ash said.
Giant monster attack humanity, humanity creates giant robots to kill the monsters.
I'm thinking this one will do crazy numbers in Japan.

Jul 9 - 07:40 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Most definitely.

Jul 9 - 07:43 AM

Ysalimari

Peter Angela

I thought it was pretty obvious.

Jul 9 - 08:20 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

It is very obvious.

Jul 9 - 08:21 AM

Jus

Ja Ral

Were you smoking cannabis while watching the trailer? That may explain your cluelessness.

Jul 9 - 12:43 PM

Norman  R.

Norman Radcliffe

Lucky bastard. I haven't had weed in a while.

Jul 9 - 07:59 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Since you made Kill Bill, right?

Jul 10 - 06:36 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Kill Bill was good.

Jul 10 - 09:08 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Since you smoked out Brad Pitt during Basterds?

Jul 10 - 09:27 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Since you and Jamie Foxx matched em on a blunt?

Jul 10 - 07:58 PM

Sean Crane

Sean Crane

Terrible comparisons from a person who wants to complain for the sake of complaining. The fact you mentioned War of the Worlds and Battleship just show how far you're stretching to make the connection (when there's nothing there)...NGE? It's manga, and if we go through every action and sci-fi movie over the last 30 years we could make manga connections...give it up kiddo.

Jul 8 - 08:44 PM

Shane Sheridan

Shane Sheridan

The aliens from Battleship and War of the Worlds came from space. A more effective comparison would be Cloverfield and its monster.

Jul 8 - 03:28 PM

Sean Crane

Sean Crane

Cloverfield monster also came from space...(See: Ending footage from movie while they are on the ferris wheel)

Jul 8 - 08:37 PM

Stephen Juby

Stephen Juby

Also, also, right, there are PEOPLE in it. They've been in like every movie ever! It is such a blatant rip off!

Jul 8 - 03:10 PM

Ysalimari

Peter Angela

Not just people, but two of the cast from Sons of Anarchy are in it! It's just SAMCRO with robots!!!!

Jul 9 - 10:06 AM

Mitch Andrews

Mitch Andrews

tom smith is a douchebag

Jul 8 - 10:12 AM

paradox752

Robert Gonzalez

Jesus such Hate and the movie didnt even come out yet
anyway Its Del toro Im sure it will have a good back story and be visually pleasing

Jul 8 - 08:35 AM

Joseph Rouleau

Joseph Rouleau

It's called pastiche

Jul 8 - 08:07 AM

John Abella

John Abella

One word = Guillermo

Jul 8 - 02:52 AM

Sam Hennigh

Sam Hennigh

Two words= Del Toro

Jul 8 - 01:18 PM

Dave Brink

Dave Brink

Make silly comparisons all you want, Tom Smith. We all know you'll be watching this movie. And you will enjoy it.

Jul 8 - 02:51 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

those examples your giving for "ripping this off" are just rip offs of even older things dude.

Jul 7 - 04:34 PM

Julian Gutierrez

Julian Gutierrez

Come on now, everyone is inspired by someone/something. Don't hate. I am rooting for success. Also hoping to see Voltron in the future.

Jul 7 - 09:31 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

So if Roland Emmerich and Antoine Fuqua said they were inspired by Die Hard, Olympus has Fallen and White House Down wouldn't be called rip offs.

Jul 7 - 12:35 AM

Gyv IgPal

Gyv IgPal

try watching the featurettes in youtube. .and you will understand and will stop saying shit about this movie before being released. .stupid ass bitches

Jul 7 - 12:32 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

I think any movie is better than Battleship.

Jul 6 - 10:54 PM

Brandon Carbaugh

Brandon Carbaugh

Del Toro has said he was hugely inspired by Evangelion.

And besides, everyone knows that all Giant Mecha shows are just pale doppelgangers of the original macdaddy, Gigantor.

Jul 5 - 10:29 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Links on first statement or GTFO.
Gigantor sucks, and it's not piloted. Your statement shows an amazing ignorance about the Mecha genre.
Go and drink a gallon of laxative, noob.

Jul 6 - 10:49 PM

Wes Shad

Wes Shad

Del Toro said he never even seen Evangelion.

Jul 7 - 05:35 PM

Jamie Wall

Jamie Wall

He said he was inspired by the Kaiju films and Mecha Anime of his youth. NOT Eva. The same shows that Eva was inspired by.

Jul 8 - 12:38 PM

Nick Gregory

Nick Gregory

obvious troll....

Jul 11 - 10:52 PM

Gusto Gusto

Gusto Gusto

I'm in agreement with Lannister, nothing is original. Everything takes from something and all of the movies you mentioned took from something prior to them. To include a director like Del Toro in same the sentence as Michael Bay or to say Del Toro will create something lamer than Bay is beyond insane. You my friend need to get some real insight on cinema.

Hell, if you want to do some analysis, watch The Iron Giant and then watch The Avengers and tell me you don't see some big similarities with the big finale. Nothing is original!

Del Toro may not strike gold on every outing but this man has Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage on his resume. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And to even mention BATTLESHIP...jesus. Watch some better movies then come back to us with a more thorough analysis and some movies worth mentioning.

This may have little story but it's summer - time for blockbuster movies with big budgets. If I want story, I will most likely turn to Christopher Nolan or Paul Thomas Anderson along with many other directors.

Jul 4 - 02:55 PM

Jackson Eckert

Jackson Eckert

I said it first! I just wrote it in a shit-ton of word vomit that nobody wanted to read...whoops.

Jul 4 - 07:40 PM

Mike Dubya

Mike Dubya

Wow, you must be young. Evangelion was a rip off of all the mecha anime that came before it. Grow up and learn. :P

Jul 3 - 09:27 PM

Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister

Everything takes off of something else you can endlessly backtrack in the quest for what is the "original". But when one thinks of this genre the big two are going to be Eva and Gundam. Sure there are others but these are what have name recognition. As they build on an idea and make it popular I have no problem saying a big budget movie like this can be compared to what people actually know of.

Jul 4 - 06:06 AM

Aaron Savadge

Aaron Savadge

Eva is a deconstruction of the super robot genre while Pacific Rim is playing the genre straight from the looks of things.

Gundam (and by virtue most other "real robot" shows) is a bit of a different beast entirely and as much about war as it is about robots.

This movie is paying more homage to stuff like Go Nagai's Mazinger Z and Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo. It's the classic mecha versus monster formula. Everything about Pacific Rim screams 70's era kaiju films and super robot anime.

Jul 5 - 05:47 PM

Matt M.

Matt Morian

Yeah... Robotech and Mech-Warrior were the first things to come to mind.

Jul 5 - 05:18 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

Actually, Evangelion was a complete deconstruction of the genre that completely subverted people's expectations and caught them completely off their guard. It was purposely set up to resemble mecha series of the past. I wouldn't sat that it's a parody, but it definitely seems to criticize the genre's tropes. And even as it made fun of mecha shows it simultaneously pathed the road for future similar series to come. It set up so many now standard aspects of giant robot anime shows. It took the idea of past mecha shows and built upon it very successfully.

Jul 11 - 02:26 PM

Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister

Well if this has some inspiration from Evangelion than humanity is completely screwed. Though I bet the main character here won't be a whiny bitch like Shinji was.

Jul 3 - 06:02 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

I hope it's nothing like Evangelion.

Jul 5 - 11:52 AM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

Oh my god. For the last time, Shinji is NOT a whiny bitch. It annoys me so much when people say this. You'd most likely act the same way if you were thrown in a similar situation, not to mention you'd have a whole bunch of personal and mental problems to deal with. So yes, he whines a lot. But at least that whining is justified. It'd be pretty ignorant to believe otherwise.

Jul 11 - 02:28 PM

Nick Gregory

Nick Gregory

so....in the end...you agreed that he is a whiny bitch.....

Jul 11 - 10:54 PM

Mikey M

Michael Mora

This looks tons better than the mindless Transformer movies and look how well those movies did.

Jul 3 - 01:01 PM

Aaron Savadge

Aaron Savadge

They had the advantage of being named "Transformers" though. I'm surprised that trick worked more than once however.

Jul 5 - 05:50 PM

Mikey M

Michael Mora

This movie looks awesome. Lets hope people go see this instead of Grownups 2.

Jul 3 - 12:57 PM

Jon J.

Jon Johannesson

The idea of giant robots being controlled from the inside isn't exactly difficult to come up with. How else would it be controlled with precision and skill? Also, Evas aren't robots, you should know this.
Side note, since they're aliens, they're most likely not reptiles either. Just a thought.

Jul 3 - 11:44 AM

Diego Tutweiller

OH MY GOD ATTICUS FINCH, YOU HAVE A ROTTEN TOMATOES ACCOUNT!

Jul 3 - 11:50 AM

John Tyler

John Tyler

JOY TO THE FUCKING WORLD!

Jul 3 - 03:37 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Funny, I perceived all of those things as good reasons TO see this movie. But if you want to be cynical, that's your prerogative.

Jul 3 - 09:16 AM

Diego Tutweiller

So you liked Transformers?

Jul 3 - 09:25 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

None of those things are in the Transformers movies.

However, as the author of the thread pointed out, they are part and parcel for War of the Worlds (a classic), Battleship (a cool movie nobody saw), Evangelion (an amazing anime, from a guy who can't stand anime), and Godzilla (another classic). Not sure where you got Transformers out of any part of my statement.

Before you ask stupid questions or jump to stupid conclusions perhaps you should do a little detective work. My ratings for the Transformers movies are right there on my profile, plain as day. Time to get your eyes checked, Mick.

Jul 4 - 10:21 AM

Diego Tutweiller

He said it looked like Transformers, only lamer. I was curious as to your take on those films. However, I should not have been foolish enough to think that you would give a coherent and intelligent response. I should have known that you of all people would be the first to descend into condescending comments and backhanded insults. If anyone here ever agrees with you on anything, they probably won't say so, as you're always such a dick about proving your point.

Jul 5 - 12:41 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

But you weren't curious. You were trolling. Nothing about my comment illicited a snarky response. Of the four other movies I could have been referring to, you chose Transformers. That's flagrant button pushing. But I am the one being condescending and backhanded. Right.

To avoid future embarrassment on your part, and since you've apparently appointed yourself my personal historian and astute observation scribe, you should have noticed by now that my tone almost always reflects the maturity level of whatever topic I am responding to. I could have been warm and fuzzy, but it would have been pointless and completely lost on the dimwitted troll OP. I'll save my pleasantries for friends and family, thanks.

Still too incoherent for you? Fine: No, no I didn't like Transformers. There, happy?

Jul 10 - 05:57 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Wow, you are an asshole! It's incredible! I just asked for your opinion on a film, and you decide to write me an essay on how stupid I am! Congratulations, In Your Dreams, you win the coveted INTERNET DOUCHE OF THE YEAR AWARD! Also, great job taking over a month to answer my actual question. You're a pretentious asswipe. Good day to you.

Jul 10 - 05:57 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Thanks for stopping by!

Jul 10 - 06:22 PM

Diego Tutweiller

*Salutes you* Continue on your mission to piss off everyone and anyone you encounter! A noble quest it is, to be sure!

Jul 10 - 06:23 PM

Brian Wade

Brian Wade

So many sequels, franchise reboots and half-arsed sequels coming out this summer and THIS is the one you call unoriginal?

Jul 2 - 11:17 PM

Mikey M

Michael Mora

Couldn't agree more.

Jul 3 - 12:57 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

This reminds me of the robot in King Lizard vs. Killa.

Jul 6 - 05:04 PM

Charlie Shi

Charlie Shi

This is like Gundam x Ultraman. Sexiest movie ever made.

Jul 2 - 10:58 PM

Sean P.

Sean Patrick

First, he aliens in this don't look anything like Godzilla. Just watch the trailer. And coming from underwater isn't the same as underground. Either if it was, a movie can build on a premise and still be unique. Cronos wasn't unique in storyline, but in presentation. I think this will be the same. As for the robots... None of those are live action films. So it might be a mashup of ideas, but clearly not the ideas from the media that you are presenting.

Jul 2 - 05:42 PM

John Paterson

John Paterson

They come from a portal on the ocean floor. So technically it is the ground.

Jul 12 - 09:04 AM

Michael Shear

Michael Shear

This guy uses Battleship as an example. He must be ten years old, so how cares what ignorance he babbles...

Jul 2 - 01:17 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

um, this is supposed to be like a mecha anime. Evangelion wasn't the first thing to have people controlling giant robots.

Jul 2 - 12:11 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Most people don't know that, unfortunately.

Jul 2 - 01:40 PM

Aaron Savadge

Aaron Savadge

Yeah, the movie is a giant love letter to the Mazinger Z era of giant robots and everyone keeps bringing up Transformers and Evangelion. Two things it only superficially relates to.

Jul 5 - 05:52 PM

Emilie Piollet

Emilie Piollet

This film is a massive distraction from what we truly need-- Serenity II.

Jul 2 - 12:01 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Agreed, I need to go and sleep to a movie theater again.

Jul 2 - 01:39 PM

Jackson Eckert

Jackson Eckert

Your choices are "with," "at," or "in." You cannot sleep "to" a movie theatre.

Jul 2 - 09:15 PM

Dianne Evans

Dianne Evans

Sleep with a movie theatre?

Jul 3 - 05:07 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Yeah, my bad.
Do you always expect perfect grammar on the internet or you're just a douche like that?

Jul 4 - 09:57 AM

William McCracken

William McCracken

Guillermo is one of the most inventive directors out there, He thinks outside of the box, this movie will be awsome.

Jul 2 - 10:51 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

This is NOT a fucking rip off of that shit anime called Evangelion. Stick it in your head that Del Toro is Mexican and he grew up in the Seventies, when Mazinger and other Giant Robot shows from Japan were popular. If anything, this is a homage to Mazinger and Getter Robo, not that fucking Evangelion garbage.

Jul 1 - 11:46 AM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

Woah woah woah! I'm all for you being interested in this movie and all but you do not, and I repeast NOT, call Evangelion shit. Evangelion is *the* shit. Much better. Evangelion took the mecha genre and basically made fun of it's cliches, which I loved. Unlike many of the others, it actually set out to explore it's characters and their minds. It wasn't even really about the robots at the end of the day.

Jul 11 - 02:34 PM

Diego Tutweiller

IT'S THE ANUS OF THE WORLD
IT'S THE ANUS OF THE WORLD
IT'S THE ANUS ANUS ANUS ANUS ANUS OF THE WORLD

Jul 1 - 12:08 AM

Jackson Eckert

Jackson Eckert

Have you ever read a book? Pick any book off of a shelf and read it from cover to cover. You'll be able to think of several books with which the one you just read shares similarities in plot, themes, characters, et cetera. Try another. Same result. Another? Nope, same thing yet again. Every book you read will be connected; original stories no longer exist. Simply put: after centuries of storytelling, our modern idea of literature has become an enormous recycling bin. It's called intertextuality.

So why do we still enjoy new stories? Surely it's not because we like reading the same thing over and over again. It's because we constantly expose these recycled stories to new contexts, styles, twists, and so on. We change things up for another lap, so to speak. And film, which is at its very core nothing more than another way to tell stories, works the same way.

I mean, think about it. Why would someone want to watch a new version of King Kong when the old one is such an enduring classic? The advent of new technology provides a different way to tell the story. Why would we want to see Man of Steel when we could enjoy the Richard Donner movies instead? It's a fresh spin on one of our favorite superheroes, a darker story and--again--new digital tech. Movies can usually be boiled down to some basic plot or caricature that resembles a different movie that came before.

So to reduce a new movie (that hasn't even been released) to some simplistic concepts and listing them off as they appear in other films is a misunderstanding of epic proportions. Yes, this movie is an homage to the strange history of monsters vs. robots, but does that mean it absolutely won't be a new twist on that genre? That it won't look at them from a different perspective? There's more than one way to skin a cat, and this way might just be more fun to watch.

Jun 30 - 10:11 PM

Winfield Pearson

Winfield Pearson

It becomes a unique version of all of these things because del toro is directing it, but lamer than tranformers? are you crazy, i mean do you have insects living between your ears? have you seen the cast that exists for reasons apart from making money? (see mark wahlberg, models instead of actors)

Jun 29 - 09:55 PM

Blondie

No Name

Homage and rip-off are two completely different things.

Jun 29 - 03:46 PM

Sheldon Hoeft

Sheldon Hoeft

This is as close to a live-action Gundam movie as we're gonna get. Just let it happen.

Jun 29 - 03:09 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Jun 28 - 08:17 PM

Nada 1.

Nada 1

Your mother's rate is $100/night.

Jul 1 - 06:08 AM

Diego Tutweiller

Really? That's way above what your mom charges. In fact, SHE pays ME.

Jul 1 - 04:28 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

But to respond to OP, is anything original anymore? Even Inception, praised for it's so-called "originality" took a lot from the anime, Paprika.

Originality is few and far between in modern cinema. Especially blockbusters.

Jun 28 - 05:36 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

All You Need is Kill is original.

Jun 28 - 08:51 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Well, psh, yeah. Of course. There are always exceptions, young me.

Jun 28 - 09:00 PM

Jamie Wall

Jamie Wall

Yup, No film is completely original. Movies like Inception (and Pacific Rim) have original ideas in them but that's the most you can really get. I believe a scene in Inception actually says that true inspiration is impossible, an idea will always have originated somewhere else and developed in 'the subjects mind'. For the general audience, Pacific Rim is one of the most original films they're gonna see. Purely because the Mecha genre hasn't been introduced to the mainstream western media yet. Del Toro is advancing the genre massively into (hopefully) new franchises.

Jul 8 - 12:53 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Del Toro usually has a good sense of character and story, so hopefully the visuals won't overshadow the emotional core of the movie. Sure, it'll have great action, but I'm hoping to be emotionally invested as well.

Jun 28 - 05:22 PM

Mr k.

Mr khan

I do hope it to be story and emotion packed but i am mostly hoping for it to be action packed. I mean it is giant monsters vs giant robots. If people get what they expect to get than they will leave happy. Also hoping to take my little brother to see it since he liked the previews so i don`t want him to be bored if it turns out the action takes a backseat to the story. Of course that is the better case most times but in this case it is better if the story takes a back seat to the action.

Jun 28 - 05:41 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Yeah, I expect some Mech VS Kaiju action, and plenty of it, but I want to be invested in whats going on. Action is always better when you care about the characters involved. it makes it more thrilling.

Jun 28 - 05:49 PM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

Im not so bothered by the fact its ripped off as much as i am by the fact they are trying to sell it as "Unique."

Jun 28 - 04:31 PM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

I guess you could classify every movie as a rip-off then, most movies have similar aspects.

Jun 28 - 07:48 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Never go full retard, Tom.

Jun 28 - 07:40 AM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

So Tom went "Full Retard" because he expressed his opinion?
Sounds like you are angry because he doesnt seem interested in something you are clearly enamored with.

Jun 28 - 04:27 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

LOL! Knew there was going to be3 a "he's just expressing his opinion" guy. James is just expressing his opinion as well, stop getting on his case!

Jul 2 - 12:13 PM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

"Opinion guy"??? Really, try harder.

Jul 3 - 03:33 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

If the shoe fits

Jul 5 - 12:37 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Also, the original poster was stating his opinion as fact, so your argument doesn't work.

Jul 5 - 12:38 AM

Diego Tutweiller

Lol, 'full retard'. And Sean's taking this shit WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously.

Jun 28 - 08:18 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Sean does that in every post.

Jun 28 - 08:34 PM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

You dont know me Braj, Come at me.

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

At least i dont spend every waking second on this site, you rack up a good log time however.

Diego Tutweiller

I spend maybe an hour on this site a day. And during that time I do other stuff. You, on the other hand, spend your time masturbating in the corner and doing shrooms while watching Eddie Murphy movies.

Jul 3 - 07:53 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler

Are you a retard? Guillermo del Toro said this is an American tribute to the 50's sci-fi movies and the monster movies from Japan. LOOK IT UP!

Jun 28 - 06:38 AM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

Ok so you proved his point.

Jun 28 - 04:25 PM

blatchy

First Last

It's hard to sell that it's a ripoff when 99% of the viewing public isn't familiar with the source material.

Jun 27 - 09:19 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

Would be cool if Godzilla did a cameo.
Or if there was a camera shot of, say, a poster of the remake or even a classic image..... yeah? Yeah?

Jun 27 - 05:49 PM

Aneken Yang

Aneken Yang

If you fucking heard Guillermo Del Toro's explanation you'd fucking know that this movie a is an American tribute to the Kaiju-style of the japanese movies. So yes, it is similar to godzilla and NGE because this is a tribute to those movies you stupid fuck.

Jun 27 - 03:36 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

You don't know Guillermo Del Toro if you say there'll be no story.

Jun 27 - 12:00 AM

Gerrixx Ovvarc

Gerrixx Ovvarc

Exactly, and all the idiots that are against it are going to end up going to see it, love it and pretend they always loved it.

Jun 27 - 03:35 PM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

Del Toro is DIRECTING it, He Co-wrote the script so you cant just say because his name is on it that itll have story.

Jun 28 - 04:28 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

but he co-wrote it!

Jul 2 - 12:14 PM

Gerrixx Ovvarc

Gerrixx Ovvarc

Wow, what an ass! lol... and you know this jerk is going to love it. Let's see if he pretends to hate it when he sees it and he will.

Jun 24 - 07:30 PM

Pat Solitano

Pat Stinson

let's not forget the giant robots in rugrats the movie

Jun 23 - 07:06 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

I am looking forward to seeing it. Looks a lot better than WWZ.

Jun 22 - 09:49 PM

Shritan Varma

Shritan Varma

true

Jun 23 - 01:36 AM

Jim Nguyen

Jim Nguyen

Aliens came from outer space in Battleship and War of the Worlds. Tom Smith failed terribly hence his post should be ignored.

Jun 22 - 02:46 PM

Brian Fassl

Brian Fassl

Really? ONLY Neon Genesis Evangelion? You're not going to mention Super Sentai, Power Rangers, Voltron, Gundams, or even Gurren Lagann? I mean really....I could sit here for hours listing off the various Mecha/Super Robot shows there are........and yet they all are unique in their own ways. The same goes for this movie. It furthers the Mecha genre, but it has its own unique aspects that set it apart from others in the mecha genre.

Based on what's been said about the movie so far, I think the hype is entirely worth it.

Jun 22 - 01:23 AM

Shritan Varma

Shritan Varma

no i think it will be ebtter than those

Jun 20 - 03:14 AM

Peter D.

Peter De Munnich

I guess some people don't get it. It's GUILLERMO DEL TORO- a true artist, not a corporate hack director. It will be fascinating to see what he does with this, but I'll be very surprised if it's your average blockbuster nonsense.

Jun 18 - 08:21 AM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

Peter, he may not be a " not a corporate hack director" but he is working for the studios and the studios have control over certain aspects of the film, he isnt being given free reign.

Jun 28 - 04:30 PM

Mike Soon

Mike Soon

lol. This movie pays homage to a specific genre that no movie has ever paid appropriate justice to YET. The trolls are out in numbers today.

Jun 1 - 10:58 AM

Merin Alvarez-Guzman

Merin Alvarez-Guzman

Something tells me this is heavily influenced both by the mech genre of anime and the monster movies of Japan. These are things that I am not all too familiar with, but I have enough knowledge of such a culture to see the influences for what they are. And I like them very much. That robot looks incredible and fluid. The monsters are classical examples of Guillermo Del Toro's style. Everything feels big and exciting, and those fights look so weighty and intense so far! I can imagine this would be a visual treat in an IMAX theater. There is such a thing as an homage to an already existing genre, and the trailers already show that sort of vibe. The effects look astonishing; with a mixture of incredible practical sets and cgi. Those calling it a "rip-off" appear to use the term too wantonly. Seriously, is Gurren Lagann a "rip-off" of Neon Genesis Evangelion because of the use of giant robotic battle suits? The mech genre didn't start with NGE, and it doesn't "belong" to any one series or movie. I have high hopes for this film so far, just for the premise and the director behind it.

May 31 - 12:40 AM

Mario Daccarett

Mario Daccarett

"Something tells me this is heavily influenced both by the mech genre of anime and the monster movies of Japan."

And something tells me water may in fact be wet. Not sure though.

I kid, i kid. Anyways, I agree with the rest of your post.
"The mech genre didn't start with NGE'
Exactly, and it took a lot of inspiration from Ultraman. So the people acting like it started everything are butt heads.

Jul 3 - 06:35 PM

Ruoxi Lin

Ruoxi Lin

Shouldn't always trust a trailer... remember the english trailer for Pan's Labyrinth only showed most of the "magical" fairytale-stuff, but the actual film was bigger and emotionally involved between characters.

If anyone is familiar with mech anime, then you'll also know that "mech" is a genre, and like all genres it has it's tropes and (imo). I see Pacific Rim as a film that is trying to fit into that genre rather that ripping anything off.
Personally, I have good hopes for this film, I'd rather not judge until I see it.

May 30 - 08:02 AM

Joseph Glenn

Joseph Glenn

All these people defending this movie as not being a NGE rip off, I truly believe either know really nothing about the show or never watch it themselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to band the movie or that it will suck, but come on! Anyone who actually knows the show knows it's a rip off because NGE while a homage to giant robot anime was very different in it's own conception. It itself was a statement about giant robot anime. Because, I grew up watching it all in the 80s and actually live in japan for 8 years, I learned my robot anime quite well... and this while not a 100% rip off is still a rip off. The people who point out the arbitrary little differences are the same people who think the hunger games wasn't actually a rip off of Battle Royal "cause it was set in the future"... "See it's different". Tell me, if another movie was made about five piloted giant mechanical dogs that combine to form a giant robot named Doltron, then you would defend that as original too I guess...SMH

May 19 - 01:09 AM

Varun Hk

Varun Hk

you need to stay quiet for a while. NGE has no mecha. they're goddamn cyborgs, for heaven's sake.

May 31 - 05:44 AM

Chris Shaap

Chris Shaap

Everyone keeps mentioning Eva but we all forgot Gundam came way before that anime ever did so you could say its ripping off that show as well

May 1 - 07:10 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

If you think that Eva ripped of Gundam then you probably haven't seen that show. It's almost nothing like Gundam, the robots (not even robots actually) are really the only slight resemblance.

Eva may not have been the first mecha anime, but it is the show that practically defined and forever changed the genre.

Jul 11 - 02:40 PM

Timothy Wood II

Timothy Wood II

evangelion is not the first or best of the giant robot genre. this isnt a rip off any more than star wars is a rip off of flash gordon. its just a genre film. and with a good director, it should be fine.

Apr 5 - 01:47 PM

Christian Kneier

Christian Kneier

dude its giant robots fighting giant monsters...grow some fucking balls and be excited! this iss gonna kick ass!

Apr 5 - 09:51 AM

Christian Kneier

Christian Kneier

plus it had awesome test screening reactions!

Apr 5 - 09:54 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

Battleship Again. lets see!

Apr 2 - 02:41 AM

Alex Yueh

Alex Yueh

this reminds me of gigantic formula. If anyone has seen that anime there are striking resemblance to it. It may be a mash-up of stuff, but that that could be argued for any movie.

Apr 1 - 02:18 AM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Yeah, this is why you were kicked off for a while.

Apr 1 - 03:22 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

a while?

Apr 2 - 02:37 AM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

It means,"for a period of time"

Apr 2 - 02:13 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

No, it's because you're a little kid with anger issues.

Apr 11 - 02:42 PM

Varun Hk

Varun Hk

troll hard, kid.

Apr 28 - 09:10 AM

Varun Hk

Varun Hk

is it time to get you kicked out again? I think so.

Apr 29 - 03:42 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

EVERYBODY MASS THUMB-DOWN HIS SHITTY REVIEWS!!!!!

May 13 - 04:56 PM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

Its not a review, are you aware of what a review is???
Its an opinion, one in which he is entitled to have.

Jun 28 - 04:32 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

No, it isn't. He is stating this is a rip off of other shows or movies, which it isn't. That would make him wrong

Jul 5 - 12:42 AM

Brenden Clark

Brenden Clark

I saw it yesterday and it is a complete Evangelion rip-off, but it is definitely NOT a Battleship or Transformers. It is a million times better than both of those. And yes Tom, it is also almost all action and visuals while the story and acting are the weak points, but this is one of those times that you mostly won't mind. I wish I was seeing this when I was a 12 year old. My mind would have exploded.

Mar 24 - 09:46 AM

Varun Hk

Varun Hk

Right, because EVERYTHING that has giant mecha is a rip-off of Evangelion. row up, Del Toro already said it's a homage to the monster movie genre.

Apr 29 - 03:26 AM

Ruben Schuit

Ruben Schuit

You saw it in March? What a big, fat lie that is!

Jun 23 - 05:14 AM

DeWitt Tsai

DeWitt Tsai

Honestly in this generation of media, finding an idea that is completely original is like finding a sliver of platinum on the streets of New York.

Giant Robots + Giant Aliens has both been popular genres that flared up both in the West and East. Can you blame Toro for trying to bring it back when Sci-Fi is making a comeback to popularity?

High Hopes.

Mar 17 - 06:49 PM

John Serrano

John Serrano

If you assume Battleship was original in any aspect, your opinion is immediately irrelevant to me.

Mar 11 - 01:00 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

That's the best argument I've read on this thread.

Mar 11 - 02:14 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

same thing..lol

Mar 26 - 05:01 AM

Jacklord Alan Keen

Jacklord Alan Keen

THIS LOOKS BETTER THAN TRANSFORMERS....THIS LOOKS MORE EPIC!!!!

Mar 8 - 05:30 AM

Jacklord Alan Keen

Jacklord Alan Keen

THIS LOOKS BETTER THAN TRANSFORMERS....THIS LOOKS MORE EPIC!!!!

Mar 8 - 05:30 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Fuck You

Mar 2 - 02:22 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

this looks pretty insane guys

Feb 23 - 12:32 PM

Rocky Rocketeer

Rocky Rocketeer

I wonder if Gainax and/or Hideaki Anno will sue. I've seen this film before and it's called "Neon Genesis Evangellion". Although if one were to homage NGE.. I want to see this movie!

Feb 11 - 09:57 PM

David Platt

David Platt

Yes, because it has giant robots it is automatically a rip-off of Evangellion, because as we all know Evangellion invented giant robots. Oh fuck off, it looks nothing like Evangellion, nor do I think the film will explore the dark themes that Evangellion has; I think they'll try to keep it PG-13

Feb 19 - 05:32 PM

Andrew Striefel

Andrew Striefel

Someones a little TOO much of a cynical asshole..
Since when have you seen a movie that was 100% unique? Things rip off/inspire other movies all the time.. its nothing new..

Jan 25 - 01:45 AM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

You can predict it, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

Jan 19 - 08:29 PM

Robert  J.

Robert Jones

There's a story here but there's not much to it, giant robots fight giant sea monsters, the end. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna see this movie but not for the story. It looks great visually, I love it when monsters destroy major cities.

Jan 18 - 12:34 PM

Frederic Kaindlbauer

Frederic Kaindlbauer

I recommend watching any of the Pacific Rim interviews. Guillermo explains that his focus is always on story and emotion and he's using the same approach with Pac Rim. He rewrote the screenplay to add extra emotional punch so as the war escalates the audience should really feel everything that is at stake and it is as much a personal journey for the two pilots as it is robot on monster fighting.

Jan 5 - 04:36 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

FYI AND NOTE: I take back my "lame lame lame". I'm just kinda frustrated with Hollywood focusing on special effects and neglecting storytelling nowadays, abandoning how movies USED to be. I will surely check out this movie with some excitement, but I don't think this film will resonate.

Jan 5 - 05:23 AM

Joel Martinsson

Joel Martinsson

Well I can't really say much before I've seen it but the point seems to be to do something new of something old I.E. being blatantly unoriginal with the concept but still doing an awesome flick. Since it's guillermo directing this I have high hopes and don't think it's just plagiarism.

Jan 4 - 08:28 AM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

It's not over the matter of plagiarism. It's just stuff we'll already seen before.

Jan 5 - 03:13 AM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

And yes, it looks awesome from a technical standpoint. Amazingly awesome.

Jan 5 - 03:24 AM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Guillermo Del Toro will certainly do a great job in directing. I'm just worried about the screenplay (which he didn't write)

Jan 5 - 05:18 AM

Varun Hk

Varun Hk

he co-wrote the screenplay with Travis Beacham, so you can keep calm and enjoy. Either way, directors and actors enhance the screenplay during production.

Apr 28 - 09:12 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Trailer Schmailer. You haven't seen it yet so all of your assertions are just that, assertions :] Seriously though, if you have a problem with the idea of a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters, I question your manhood.

Jan 3 - 04:47 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

You can tell MUCH by a trailer. And I do enjoy epic action, as long as the movie doesn't rely on it. Return of the King and the Matrix Reloaded rank among my favorite movies, and they have crazy action.

Jan 5 - 03:15 AM

David Umstattd

David Umstattd

Giant robots controlled from the inside does not = Evangelion. It equals an entire genre. Seriously, calling a movie a rip off because it has mecs in it is like calling a movie a rip off of Lord of the Rings because it has sword fights.

Dec 29 - 02:20 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Neon Evan has giant robots the size of towers. Neon Evan's robot are being controlled in the chest of the robot. Neon Evan has the specialized professionals for controlling them. The Neon Evan robots were specifically created to counter the invading, giant foreign entities their similar size.
Which is exactly how Pacific Rim is. And no, you LOTR analogy was terrible and way off.

Jan 5 - 03:22 AM

Daniel Morris

Daniel Morris

Mechs *are* a genre. If you go by your logic, then happy birthday -- your wonderfully original Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995) was a rip-off of Mobile Fighter G Gundam (1994), which was a rip-off of Power Rangers (1993), which was a rip-off of Voltron (80's), which was a rip-off of Super Sentai (70's). In fact, Neon Evan is even more like Rangers/Sentai and less like Pacific Rim because all the mechs are doofusly piloted by teenagers.

Just look up Yasuhiro Imagawa. This genre's older than you.

Feb 12 - 10:38 AM

Des Akkari

Des Akkari

OWNED....LOL. Thank you!

Feb 19 - 01:08 PM

Richard Murdey

Richard Murdey

Power Rangers was a rip off of ... Super Sentai!? That's certainly an interesting premise.

No-one can claim the "big robots" genre all to themselves, its true. But, the Evangelion is an unusually innovative example, unique enough that if you bring something out that combines 1) child pilots 2) massive humanoid robots and 3) a secret organization in an underground base tasked to protect humanity from nighmarish monsters ... well, you are gonna have some explaining to do.

"

Apr 1 - 05:18 AM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

I agree, but none of those shows are rip offs of the ones preceding them. I understand your point, but your not doing the shows justice that way.

Jul 11 - 02:44 PM

Varun Hk

Varun Hk

NGE's robots are not robots. they're goddamn fucking cyborgs! your post is immediately irrelevant now.

Jul 7 - 03:16 AM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Well, at least it only ripped off of the shitty movies.

Dec 21 - 09:31 PM

Mikey Mitchell

Mikey Mitchell

I don't read too much into trailers. Seen plenty of great trailers that ended up being average movies. That fact that Guillermo del Toro is directing this means its worth a look. I predict your prediction will be wrong!

Dec 21 - 03:34 AM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Even I said I could be wrong, if you read what I wrote.

Jan 5 - 03:19 AM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

My prediction could be wrong about the "all action/visual, no story", but usually you can detect the emotional depth and storytelling by the movie trailer. Watch the Iron Man 3 trailer or the Man of Steel #2 trailer. You can immediately detect the compelling story and the inner conflict of protagonist that lies within the action.

Dec 20 - 08:07 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Yeah, remember that part in The Dark Knight Rises when Bane destroyed all of Bruce Wayne's Iron Man suits?

Dec 21 - 09:29 PM

James P.

James Phoenix

Well, you haven't seen Iron Man 3 so you can't really make predictions yet.

Jan 3 - 11:20 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Actually Robert Downey Jr.'s contract ends after Iron Man 3.

Jan 19 - 08:28 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

No, he signed on to do 3 movies before doing the first one.

Feb 8 - 03:44 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Until Avengers 2, of course.

Feb 11 - 12:17 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

actually robert downey jr. may appear in guardians of the galaxy and at leat one more iron man movie along with avengers 2 according to marvel sources..

your a bastard zach wisz! iron man is still cool...i know you will watch it anyway....HOBBIT FAN

Apr 2 - 02:40 AM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Uh shut the fuck up sam: there was nothing wrong with the hobbit. iron man sucks. so do most superhero movies from marvel. the avengers sucked. captain america was lame. thor was boring. marvel makes horrible movies.

Apr 3 - 08:12 PM

Shritan Varma

Shritan Varma

im not saying hobbit sucks....i loved it too

Jun 9 - 05:21 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

People are still sticking up for that awful Hobbit cashcow? Wow. Say what you will about Marvel, at least their movies have something Hobbit lacked: CHARM and WHIMSY. Capitalized to drive the point home.

Jul 4 - 10:29 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

You kidding me? The hobbit had lots of whimsy. It's a fairytail. Is Iron Man a fairytale? No.

Jul 8 - 10:55 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile