Critics Consensus: Pacific Rim is a Visual Treat

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got giant robots (Pacific Rim, starring Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba) and old buddies (Grown Ups 2, starring Adam Sandler and Kevin James). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

StonedMagician99

Andy Spencer

Bob Kane=screenwriter on TDKR. JK Rowling as screenwriter on Deathly Hallows 2. Well, those are kinda blunders. I suppose they did create the source material.

Jul 11 - 08:14 PM

StonedMagician99

Andy Spencer

I'd say the first one was alright. The first short was pretty good, and the last one was amazing. The others were mostly the latter part of hit-and-miss.

Jul 11 - 08:15 PM

Robert Skillstad

Robert Skillstad

Adam Sandler's movie career ought to be over right about now.

Jul 11 - 08:24 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Except his movies are highly bankable

Jul 11 - 08:28 PM

Prince Niko

Prince Niko

Career is not based on critics reviews it is based on the Boxoffice and grown ups 2 will be a hit.

Jul 11 - 08:31 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

We must all remember, it is not Adam Sandler and friends fault that the majority just doesn't care about quality of film. It is Adam Sandlers fault though that Comedy is the lowest for of entertainment.

Jul 12 - 06:07 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Except his movies are highly bankable

Jul 11 - 08:28 PM

Prince Niko

Prince Niko

Jul 11 - 08:31 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

totally seeing 'Pacific Rim' this weekend!
SKIPPING EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

Jul 11 - 09:07 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

He gets about fifteen or twenty minutes of screen time in Casino Royale, which is a shame considering he is an actor capable of holding down a movie all by himself. That said, I still love Casino Royale, and thought he was a good villain in it, just would have liked to see more of him.

Jul 11 - 10:12 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I liked the shorts much more than the premise in V/H/S. I'd say each short was much better then the premise of V/H/S as well. My Favorite of the first was the Skype one. My least favorite was the couple on vacation.

So Andy, My question to you is The Premise of this sequel better than the first one? Looking forward to it!

Jul 11 - 10:45 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Maybe he's representing the Soundtrack?

Jul 11 - 10:46 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

King Crunk, Fruitvale Station is based on a true event that happened in 2009. It doesn't get more predictable than that eh? I'm a Michael B Jordan Fan boy through and through though. Friday Night LIghts, The Wire, Chronicle, hell I even watched Parent Hood for his brief performance. So I realized I am biased when I say everyone should see Fruitvale Station...and also fight for Michael B Jordan's right to be The Human Torch in the Fantastic Four Remake. It's time to stop complaining about Skin Colour of characters "ruining" movies. The Abominations of the first films are proof enough that Talent should always trump Looks!

Jul 11 - 10:49 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Bradly, Jordan's "right" to play Johnny Storm needs no defense from us. The good news for us is that the people making comics and these films are not waiting for folks to drag themselves out of the stone age. If Trank wants to cast Jordan in the role, then it's going down.

Jul 15 - 05:36 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I agree that the last segment was the obvious highlight. I liked a couple of others, the Skype one was well done, the camping one was stupid but a good use of video distortion. The wrap around failed because they just let it collapse into a 10-little-Indian scenario. That's the problem with these mumblecore types, like Adam Wingard and Joe Swanberg and (arguably, imo) Ti West, is that they fall apart in the third acts, regardless of whether they're attempting horror or comedy or drama.

Jul 11 - 10:51 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I couldn't see past Michael Cera either while viewing SCOTT PILGRIM. I'm a huge fan of the comic series and thought all the evil exes were spot on. Ramona Flowers was also SPOT ON! I just wish I could get over how much I can't stand Michael Cera!!!

Jul 11 - 10:52 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Hell Yeah, Pacific Rim! I can't wait to see GIANT ROBOTS VS GIANT MONSTERS BABY!! I feel like I'm 7 years old again Watching ROBOT JOCKS! (Or was it Robot Jox?) P.S. Robot Jox did not age well ha ha ha.

Jul 11 - 10:54 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Fruitvale" is a tragedy, so of course it's going for some emotion. The best I'm hearing about it is that Michael B. Jordan gives a great performance.

Yeah, funny how "Killing Season" just kinda snuck out there. WTF, Bob?

Jul 11 - 10:55 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I got an inking that you hate pointless stirred up controversy and drama Janson but I would like to here your take on all the people saying Fruitvale is an EVIL film that is trying to take away my Right to own a gun! On that opposite coin that Fruitvale should be seen now more than ever that Trayvon Martin was responsible for his own death at the hands of a gun wielding middle aged white guy.

Jul 14 - 11:20 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

What's the controversy? Oscar Grant was shot unarmed in the back while face down by a police officer. What does that have to do with citizen gun ownership? If anything, the film's agenda is to spotlight these negligent police procedures, especially, like 'stop-and-frisk, that disproportioantely target minorities. More broadly, it's a broader criticism of police power (Radley Balko's books "Overkill" and "Rise of the Warrior Cop" are worth checking out on the subject).

As for Zimmerman (only half-white, and 30s, btw), even with a carry-permit, his being armed on neighborhood watch was a violation of an explicit National Sheriffs Association (which runs "official" NW programs) prohibitions on using weapons while on patrol, as well as prohibiting pursuing or confronting suspicious people. As far as I'm concerned, it was manslaughter as soon as he left his car with a loaded weapon. I'm sure others will disagree.

Jul 14 - 07:46 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Tron Legacy was Oscar worthy compared to what Sandler has churned out recently. Not to mention the film looked fantastic so I can see why a lot would want to use it as a profile pic even if they weren't too fond of the movie as a whole.

Jul 11 - 11:12 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I think the reason why anticipation seems to be much higher than was it was initially tracking is because of the last minute marketing campaign Legendary did to raise awareness for the film. They reportedly spent 100 mil on marketing the film this past week alone, and it seems to be paying off. It also helps that White House Down and Lone Ranger weren't seen by very many people, meaning audiences have worked up quite an appetite for a big budget crowd pleaser. Finally, the reviews are probably playing an important factor. While some films like Transformers or Twilight could print their negative reviews on their posters and people would still see them, Pacific Rim is the kind of film that many were probably on the fence about and could easily be swayed by reviews. Lone Ranger, for example, was initially tracking for a 70 mil 5-day opening before reviews came in. By screening Pacific Rim early for critics, Legendary seemed to have managed to build anticipation for it similar to what happened with Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

As for the Power Ranger comparisons, I don't see what is so dreadfully wrong and racist about that. It's the example of monsters vs. robots that people in the west would be most familiar with, so it's not a surprise they're using it as a comparison. Now if they were calling Pacific Rim a rip-off of Power Rangers then yeah that would show their ignorance, but most who bring it up are simply using it as a negative comparison (e.g describing it as "Power Rangers on steroids" or "Power Rangers meets Transformers and not in a good way").

Jul 11 - 11:39 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

They're making the Power Rangers comparison because they have no other way to critique beyond analogy. I tire of "its Michael Bay on steroids" or "its Transformers with a story". Is this how you evaluate a movie? Beyond a straight emulation thats provable, these statements seem lazy and the critic a lost cause before the opening credits even roll.

Jul 12 - 12:19 AM

Todd Knaperek

Todd Knaperek

It's more stereotyical Japanese sci-fi than anything. Most of the stuff out of Japan features some sort of Kaiju fighting some giant human-powered robot, whether it be Power Rangers, Big-O, Evangelion, Voltron, Robotech, Power Rangers, Godzilla, etc. etc.

Jul 13 - 09:21 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

No. What that means is that - "this is literally the only other Japanese thing we know about this side of the samurai". "Rim" can be (and has been!, people who don't read) compared to a number of things, but Power Rangers ain't one of them. It is as racist as someone who compares Tyler Perry movies to Shaft. It's lazy, ignorant, tacitly implying worthlessness of the culture, and...oh!...totally inaccurate!!!

And I'm still reading hate that has nothing to do with this last minute marketing. The Variety thing had nothing to do with marketing, but was intended to dampen enthusiasm. Analysts are still downplaying Fandango's advanced ticket sales numbers. And I noticed how you didn't mention Warners, as they're actually the ones doing the marketing anyway, but I've already brought up how the beef between them and Legendary might be the interests diverge.

Jul 12 - 12:28 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I agree with Janson on this. Del Toro's imagination is amazing and just because he took inspiration from stuff he liked as a kid doesn't make all that stuff Inherently Japanese. That's like saying Shao-lin soccer is clearly inspired by Brazil because Pele was a great soccer player.

Jul 14 - 11:19 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I've cast my ballot, Janson. And you get my vote just on the strength of your zealous hatred of Power Rangers alone. It is definitely a sorry comparison, in fact, to any kaiju related or similar Japanese property. At least referencing Macross Zero or Voltron or even Big O shows knowledge of the genre. Not to mention taste.

Jul 15 - 04:58 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Any self respecting commenter (or critic) would reference Voltron before Power Rangers. ;)

Jul 15 - 04:43 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Can't wait for Pacific Rim. While reviews are a little lower than I was hoping for it still seems to be everything the Transformer films should have been. Really hope it is a success, simply because it would give Del Toro the chance to make any film he wants, including a Hellboy 3.

Jul 11 - 11:42 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships