The Pagemaster Reviews

MANUGINO
½ February 22, 2011
All The Adventure Your Imagination Can Hold.

Not a great or horrible movie! The beginning of this movie is excellent with tremendous sound and some nice humor, but once the film changes into animation it quickly loses its appeal. However, although this film is mostly disappointing, not all is lost. The story, for all its flaws, wastes no time in getting started, and there is a certain nostalgia surrounding the film for the endless stream of, mostly mediocre, but still harmless, cartoons of the 90s, when computer-generated animation was yet to be exploited. Overall, just not memorable enough or able to compete with the great animated films of the last dozen years.

This is the story of a young boy named Richard Tyler, who finds shelter from a storm inside a nearby library. Tyler slips and is knocked unconscious while exploring a rotunda in the library. Upon awakening he is led on a journey through conflicts and events that resemble fictional stories, keeping him from finding the exit from the library.
michael e.
June 6, 2011
Kids will like it and the animation is nice, plus some good acting, but overall its not the most memorable animated film made
September 6, 2010
A fantastic fantasy adventure for kids. Culkin gets turned into a cartoon and has to find his way back home from the book lands, and find his courage along the way. It's really a cool movie, and kids will love it.
Marc L.
½ May 20, 2011
(Relativley short review)
Like "A Troll in Central Park", "The Pagemaster" is a family movie that most will hate, but I actually like. I like the lesson, I like the characters and I like the plot. The humor wasn't funny, but apart from that it was good.

Like always, we start with the bad. This movie had WAY too many book puns. What's worse? They weren't even funny and they got old VERY quickly. It would have been a better movie without them.

Still this movie had good. It has a good lesson, that kids should face their fears and that when they do, they'll come out stronger. Kids will never apply it, but it's a good lesson.

The main character is someone you can really root for. He's a nerd and a coward, but he has a lot of potential too be something more. You'll be rooting for him the whole way.

The books were very interesting characters too, and Whoopi Goldberg did a great job as Fantasy. "Adventure" did a nice job too.

Finally, the plot was very original. I think it's good that hollywood is getting kids too read. This is a very good introduction to some of literature's greatest classics.

Overrall, a pretty good film. Not great, but good.
February 15, 2010
Alright, I'll admit, I shouldn't like it as much as I do, but I don't care what everyone else thinks. I think this movie is great!
March 1, 2009
I remember going to see this when it first came out...my brother and father and I were the only people in the theater.

Watching it again fifteen years later with friends, I realized there was a reason why.
October 19, 2007
Hated this movie, just really dark and dreary and I just hated the whole concept.
December 27, 2006
It was cute enough to enjoy.
Naughtia
½ June 9, 2010
I remember watching this movie a lot when I was younger. I just enjoyed the way they managed to mix a cartoon with a live action movie. The storyline was also great.
April 2, 2009
I've seen this movie a MILLION times and it will always be a treasured part of my childhood. Macaulay Culkin was THE child star back then so I had to see pretty much all of his movies. This movie made it cool to want to read =)
mingsysar
August 15, 2006
Christopher Lloyd is born to play villains, Macaulay Culkin is the archetypal child actor, the animation is sheer joy and the premise brilliant, shame about the plot...
½ August 15, 2007
Silly but still fun.
divinetrash
½ December 21, 2007
An incredibly rare instance where the love I had for a film as a child is completely gone by the time I grew up. The whale scene still scared the shit out of me, though.
jim222001us
August 6, 2007
The Pagemaster is a harmless movie about a kid that gets transported into the world of famous stories where he's now in cartoon form. Where he learns to be braver.

It's not Macaulay Culkin's most memorable movie but it's not his worst either. For some reason though, when he says "I'm...I'm a cartoon", it doesn't work for me. I think it might've worked better if it was just known to the viewers that he was now in cartoon form. The line is just kind of dumb lol. Anyway the movie is entertaining enough when you are watching it but when it's over, it's easily forgettable.
iLeo
½ January 1, 2008
Cute!
½ September 29, 2007
A past childhood favorite and a guilty pleasure of today.
October 23, 2010
I LOVE this movie!
Books are amazing and this movie is all about how books can sweap you away into another world.
½ April 23, 2010
This is for the much younger audience. This is suposed to get children to read. This was created by the same man that made Captain Planet. Now it is much better than Captain Planet but it was still a bit dull. I liked this a lot when I was like about 5 years old and loved this movie till well 15. I enjoyed how creative it was and the animation was great. When i was young I loved watching the horror part the most. It creeped me out but in my opinion it was so cool. I was a sucker into this movie. When you're a kid you love everything no matter what. But now I am out grown this movie finally but I can still fit this in my heart as a movie I enjoyed as a child.
½ May 24, 2010
Oh goodness. If it wasn't for this film in 3rd grade, I wonder if I would love reading as much as I did. This film made smart kids looks cool. lol
April 22, 2010
A great imagination adventure though the turning of a new page! What person does not want to go through a life of adventure, horror, or even fantasy?
Patrick Stewart and Whoopi Goldberg do an amazing job with the power of their voices!
Macaulay Culkin could not have been any more perfect for this role since is Home Alone era.
A great movie for the kids and parents to watch!