The Painted Veil Reviews

½ June 22, 2015
I understood better the second time I watched this. Watts and Norton's performances are stunning.
May 10, 2015
Handsomely crafted, with good performances this movie is a gem for romatic drama lovers . characters are complex , environment is beautiful and the music is just amazing ( Alexander Desplat won Golden globe for it ) . the few problems i have with the movie is that it plays a little monotone and the Kitty's character falling in love after all what happend felt a little too easy too simple . characters defenetly had potential to show more depth . Love how they handled the love story in the movie , in the begining Walter falls in love with Kitty but it does not work since she is not in love with him and ends up with affair on the side . during the movie they get to know each other with all their problems , weaknesses and nature and the feelings start to come . the movie shows that you can't truly love someone you dont know . one of my favorite scenes in the movie was when Walter was watching Kitty playing piano and falling in love with her but this time he knows what he loves her for . The Story is happening during a cholera epidemia which makes it story more interesting to watch and gives good side plot to the movie . overall the story is predictable but the result is more than satisfying .
½ March 14, 2015
A movie that transported me to another place and time and allowed me to experience the world through the eyes of the characters. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.
March 6, 2015
A beautiful setting, score, and acting made this traditional story very much worth the time.
½ February 11, 2015
Co-produced and co-starring Naomi Watts and Edward Norton, W. Somerset Maugham's novel comes to life in living color. Beautiful cinematography and symphonic music embellish a wonderful, heart-warming story of love and forgiveness.

Kitty (Watts) is getting older. Living in 1920's London, her parents have more to say with impunity about her suitors. Quick to pursue her, Walter Fane (Norton) pushes himself for courtship against her wishes, but the timing leaves her no choice but wedlock. Interrupted in their social life, they become a foursome with Charlie Townsend (Liev Schreiber) and his wife. Charlie, a virile alternative to her drab, doctor husband, tempts her into adultery. In such an arrangement, women didn't have the freedoms they do now. So when Walter is assigned to treat a cholera epidemic in Shanghai, he's privy to her affair and can blackmail her to come along or face the scorn of divorce. Since her lover is a playboy who abhors attachment anyway, she again has no choice.

Life in China at first offers nothing more than disease and disenchantment. Bored with her life and keeping in seclusion to avoid cholera, her husband spreads nothing but flinty resentment toward her unfaithful presence. Besides a stunning landscape, she discovers a convent where a wise, old mother superior charms her heart and inspires her to do at first repellant work with the orphans. Besides the dangers of disease, the locals are slow to warm up to any foreigner's presence, even one that may offer a solution to their health crisis.

More moving than its beautiful cinematography, Norton's and Watt's splendid performances work well with a captivating story of lust and love, betrayal and forgiveness, and selfishness turned to self-giving. While some viewers may find some of the old-fashioned elements of the film languorous in places, I feel the picture clocks in just right for the state of affairs. Superbly crafted, 'Painted Veil' is complete with a heart-melting beauty for the soul as well as for the eyes.
February 10, 2015
I love this movie! I remember watching it in the theater when it came out and I'm sobbing at the end of the movie looool ... I turn to him I say "I want to be loved like that" ... he answers "Why do you women take this till death due us part literally ..." looool need less to say that my phone and all communication to me of course were shut for a whole week.. till I got "yes.. I'll die for you" I knew it wasn't really meant ... but us women we take it as a metaphor and we need to hear such nonsense. loool Yes we are Crazy! its our thing lol ;)
February 7, 2015
"As if a woman ever loved a man for his virtue." A movie I have watched several times. My favorite Edward Norton movie. It very romantic. W. Somerset Maugham With music by Satie and wonderful images of Chinese mountains.
½ January 25, 2015
Beautiful story of strength and love.
½ January 18, 2015
As far as a love story goes, Painted Veil is not a bad one at all. Edward Norton and Naomi Watts make a great couple.
Robbanflix
February 4, 2007
I thought this one was decent. A drama/romance movie about a new married couple going from London to China for some work. They got some personal problem tho and must deal with it. Edward Norton did a great job as he often does despite movie genre. The movie is slow sometimes but still worth seeting.
November 30, 2014
the character development naturally unfolds & is sensitively depicted, the visual artistry is stunning, and the storyline is never out of date. Casting is perfect. Loved it!
½ November 26, 2014
Beautiful and heart warming.
November 22, 2014
Visually beautiful and beautifully acted. Just the right amount of awkwardness and I love how the characters develop. Highly recommend.
½ November 20, 2014
This is a wonderfully told story, powerful but subtle, beautifully filmed and acted. Edward Norton is excellent.
½ November 1, 2014
Naomi and Edward at their best
July 29, 2014
Norton and Watts performances are superb. The scenery is beautifully captured in this film.
DrStrangeblog
November 3, 2009
Naomi Watts breaks the record for adultery immediately after moving to 1920s China, so as punishment new hubby and medical researcher Edward Norton moves them both deep inland to assist with a serious cholera outbreak. Immaculate period flavor and scenery decorate the trials of this English couple in a foreign land who need each other most when they're furthest apart. The stars really shine, even though I wanted to punch Norton for his overly callous behavior. Watts is beyond luminous in flapper fashions and terrific as she attempts to bridge the chasm caused by her infidelity.. Eventually their true feelings for each other reemerge during a moving conclusion.
June 8, 2014
I found this movie to be different than I thought it would be and quite boring.
June 2, 2014
This film is infected by cholera!
½ April 10, 2014
Has all the trappings of a stuffy period drama, but Naomi Watts and Edward Norton (ironically) have amazing chemistry.