Best film of the last decade.

Yes, I really think it might be. It's fascinating to me that Del Toro was able to craft such an ambitious, powerful story that manages to succeed on each one of its many levels, while most directors fail so miserably to create a movie with even a single worthwhile idea.

It's hard to over-praise this movie - as Anne Hornaday (Washington Post) says in her review:

"Every now and then, a movie comes along that is so extraordinary -- so breathtaking in its artistic ambition, so technically accomplished, so morally expansive, so fully realized -- that it defies the usual critical blather."
Peter D.
12-24-2012 11:55 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Teenage Movie Expert

andres delgado

Top ten of the last decade:

1. City Of God
2. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
3. Pan's Labyrinth
4. The Departed
5. No Country For Old Men
6. Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (or any others, all equal)
7. Wall-E
8. Million Dollar Baby
9. The Dark Knight
10. There Will Be Blood

Jul 5 - 07:00 PM

Ryan Brady

Ryan Brady

I love it, but I don't think it's THE best of the decade. It's up there though.

Jun 4 - 05:23 PM

Peter D.

Peter De Munnich

I haven't seen City of God - I'll have to try & catch it. As for the others - all very good movies that I enjoyed, & No Country is one of my favourites, but they are all, in my opinion much more limited in their scope than Pan's Labyrinth, & all far less unique & original. It's very rare, in my experience, that a film both surprises & exceeds (high) expectations. Pan's Labyrinth was one of those films.

Mar 28 - 08:55 PM

Peter D.

Peter De Munnich

I haven't seen City of God - I'll have to try & catch it. As for the others - all very good movies that I enjoyed, & No Country is one of my favourites, but they are all, in my opinion much more limited in their scope than Pan's Labyrinth, & all far less unique & original. It's very rare, in my experience, that a film both surprises & exceeds (high) expectations. Pan's Labyrinth was one of those films.

Mar 28 - 08:54 PM

Danny M.

Danny Malone

Its not my favorite of the decade, but it is amazing. Other than City of God it's my favorite non-English language film of all time. Visually stunning, complex, well acted, inventive, and I am a sucker for endings that are left open for interpretation. Maybe not the best of the decade but there is definitely an argument to be made for it.

Mar 3 - 11:40 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

Fellowship of the Ring,The Dark Knight,Wall-E,The Social Network,Spirited Away,There Will Be Blood,No Country for Old Men,The Departed,Brokeback Mountain.......... those are the best of the decade.Of course,that's only my opinion and while I respect yours,I must disagree.This movie,while inventive and somewhat powerful did not resonate as strongly with me as it did with you.

Feb 2 - 03:17 AM

vicont valmont

lola lola

The social network? you must be joking...

Mar 13 - 08:46 PM

Ryan Brady

Ryan Brady

What's wrong with The Social Network?

Jun 4 - 05:21 PM

Joseph  E.

Joseph Enoch

It's boring as fuck.

Oct 4 - 03:04 PM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

What? I really liked it...

Jun 12 - 07:31 AM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

The Social Network is an amazing, like amazing film. One of my favorite of all time.

Jul 2 - 11:59 AM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

No.

Feb 2 - 03:13 AM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

The one Spanish guy that doesn't like it XD

Jun 16 - 03:03 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

I'm not Spanish.'Fernando' is no guarantee of being from Spain.
But if I were Spanish,I MIGHT have appreciated this film better,what with the language fluency and all.

Sep 18 - 08:02 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile