Paperback Hero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paperback Hero Reviews

September 17, 2015
Typical romance, the boy has already met the girl when we are introduced to them, outback rovers both of them, she an airplane pilot and set to marry, he a truck driver surprised to discover that his secretly penned romance novel has become a success. Well now I've told everything practically and all that needs be seen is the two finding each other, which ain't too far to go as their best friends on top of all that. The real wheel this all spins on is that these characters represent Australian characters (and not those inner city brand of phonies!) so that there's an hidden nationalistic undercurrent in all these proceedings, pride in the homeland, crikey. There's some fun in the thing, but most of it is that the charm is Aussie charm. Hey look, Hugh Jackman before he went international star, too! It's nice.
½ October 25, 2008
I really liked this little indie film set in Australia. Hugh Jackman did a great job playing the rough and rowdy trucker who's secretly been writing romance novels. Before he knows it, they're a big hit but he's afraid of what people might say if they knew a man had written those trashy books so he gets his best friend Ruby Vale to pose as the author. Of course, things get complicated but in the end everything rights itself and the guy gets the girl. ^-^
September 17, 2015
April 12, 2009
saw rhis yers ago but today i got it. yeah...so hard to get.
May 2, 2011
pretty cringe-y the whole way through, didn't really feel any chemistry between hugh jackman and claudia karvan, both do better separately..
February 11, 2011
A wonderful Aussie drama. Good to watch a young Hugh and Claudia in action. Very down to earth as the outback is...nothing like Croc Dundee!
February 5, 2011
Charming little romantic movie from Down Under, starring a pre-Wolverine Jackman. Lost a bit of its steam near the end but still worth a look.
December 10, 2010
This would be na average romantic comedy, but the australian favor makes it unique.
July 27, 2010
Australian romantic tv-movie with Hugh Jackman.
July 23, 2010
A simple but very entertaining film. Whilst the storyline is predictable, it provides a humourous look at friendship which blossoms into love.The film is very Australian, but will not in any way alienate overseas viewers. The movie was mainly filmed in rural Queensland and makes the most of the outback landscape.The Australian film industry is producing quality work and "Paperback Hero" is an example of this.
December 28, 2009
Mouais ça se regarde pour Hugh quoi...
½ September 22, 2009
I always thought that Hugh Jackman was a great actor, but I like him even more with his Australian accent.
½ August 12, 2009
Hugh Jackman is brilliant in this... great movie
June 22, 2009
I love the song (in the bar) and the area where they were shooting that film... and of course Hugh!
May 25, 2009
I got a bit teary-eyed at the end of this one.
May 8, 2009
I really like Jackman and I guess it helped me through it :)
½ April 24, 2009
For Hugh Jackman's first film, this is a good classical film the outback is a nice place to film for a film. The atmosphere in it is great, the script and screenplay sounds as if it could be made into a play. But it's clever and the characters are inverntive and really enjoyable to watch. Hugh Jackman would have come a long way from playing a truck driver into a man with claws not to mention he really stirs up a storm singing, he is really great.I love it. Plus the music is good
½ October 25, 2008
August 11, 2008
If Hugh Jackman had made this only a few years later with a Hollywood studio, it probably would have been one of the bigger romantic comedy hits of the year. The script is adorable. If not perfect, it's definitely better than the average entry from the genre. High concept, well-written characters. Jackman is rugged and charming, a perfect combination, and the rest of the Aussie cast is equally good. Definitely worth seeking out if you can.
½ November 17, 2008
This movie was cringeworthy! I am sure it must of been a Mills and Boon book in another life.