Paradesi Reviews

½ April 18, 2013
The movie is a period drama; it's set in 1930's rural backdrop. The movie tells the story of 'Scheduled Caste/Backward Class' people in India. The language, acting and some dummy jokes could be well jiggled at. This movie will be more appealing to tamil speaking people, who understand their culture, tradition and diversity of people. There are few scenes, which could be well avoided or told in a very light hearted manner, like the case of missionaries coming to the tea estate. The movie is bold, beautiful, daring and is a welcome step for more movies to come based on adaptation of, region and global-appealing novels.
April 12, 2013
A downright depressing movie reaching no consensus in the end.The movie could've ended on the brighter note of the Indian independence and the betterment in the state of the estate workers but instead chooses to revel in darkness leaving the audience feeling more empty in the end.The movie has all the elements to make it a great work of art except that it is not portrayed aptly. I'd prefer Avan Ivan over Paradesi anyday.
½ March 29, 2013
A brilliant film yet again from Bala & team. He takes us on a journey of hardship through the eyes of tea plantation slave workers in pre-independence India. As always, the characters are great and fleshed out, often making us, the audience, feel part of the suffering. All the actors & extras are great. Camerawork was fantastic with its sepia tones. G.V.P's music was a massive letdown, Isaignani's touch was sorely missing. The only minus points would be the rather wooden, 2 dimensional characterization of the Britishers and the unnecessary proselytizing song towards the end. The film ends rather abruptly, but it does so to show the never-ending lives of these workers. Based on the 1969 novel Red Tea, this is in my opinion Bala's best work since Sethu.
March 24, 2013
A true story well told by Bala,amazing cinematography,a must watch film this year
½ March 20, 2013
Stunning portrayal of exploitation ,still relevant in today's time.
March 20, 2013
painful & emotional --- bala with his best once again
March 19, 2013
tomorrow.....just cant fucking wait to see my first tamil movie in theater, that too of Bala with Anurag Kasyap production house. #PVR
½ March 16, 2013
We know about director bala's films. Most of the films will have characters with different appearances and incredible acting. The films concentrate about suffering of a main lead character and people surrounding them and ends with an obvious sad ending.

I was disappointed with "Avan Ivan" and "Naan kadavul" since everything followed the same plot and i expected more. The actors in his films perform so well that their brilliant acting wasn't supported with a nice script. Bala is so talented as a director and he is obviously one of the bests in Kollywood but he needs to write better scripts. Tamil directors need to adapt novels instead of trying to write their own script.

I came to know this "Paradesi" film was said to be based on a novel "Red tea" by Paul harris Daniel. i don't know anything about that book but this film still seems more similar to his previous films. The film is all about sufferings of villagers who are tortured to work for British's tea plantations. All the characters have acted very well especially adharva and his role as hero just like Bala's previous films, stays in our minds even after minutes after the film is over. The setting, environment, camera works and BGM selection all top class showing Bala's capability as a director. I like how his film stays out of usual commercial tamil filmmaking style which doesn't have 5 songs, 5 fights, comedians, and punch dialogues. he takes tamil cinema close to Hollywood style and falls short.

"Paradesi" contains many weird scenes especially my favourite part of the film, where a new doctor comes to cure the coolies suffering from an unknown disease. Adharva will bring his roommate (lady who lives with him on the hut) suffering from illness to this doctors hospital. i expected he would cure her. Instead he suggests them to praise the almighty. Next day he and his white girlfriend starts singing and dancing for a Christian song for Christmas which kind of imitates the devotional songs in many of other tamil films where at the end of the song almighty will create a miracle such as curing a person suffering from sickness. But here, this is Bala's film, devotional Christian song which is nowhere sounding near the ones sang on churches, instead very very hilarious ending with.. the patient herself dying! I wouldn't call it controversial but the reality. Bala should change instead of calling himself as a dark person and making sad movies all the time. I dont want a film with 5 songs. I want a realistic film with a story.

This film is almost close to be called a masterpiece. But it isn't because lacks something.
½ March 15, 2013
an authentic plot, a movie based on the novel "red tea" , cast, dialogues, visuals, art are of world cinema standards , receiving performances from actors is a cake walk for bala so no need to brief , there is a difference i figured out from the previous bala films , the plot goes with a flow breaking all the old cliches , everything blends well, some areas are bit draggy, the cuts would have made a difference there. music big let down, Raja's music would have justified and given more grip to the script. the biggest disappointment is nothing but the sad feeling which everyone gets after watching his movies.

overall i call it a cult classic , well a documentary in a painted manner