91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

Paranormal Activity 2 Reviews

Nikhil N.
Nikhil N.

October 30, 2011
The second movie, with better camera, budget, and story moves away from its primal roots while still managing to deliver scares greater than the first.
Edward B

January 6, 2014
Longer and more complex, but not as scary as the first film, relying too much on the same tricks that just aren't as effective this time around.
KJ P

October 5, 2010
"Paranormal Activity 2" is one of the creepiest films in recent years. When it was finished I was afraid to walk into my house, because the events that happen in the film feel so much more realistic than the first film that I shook when I was walking out of the theatre. The scary thing is that there was actually a back story to the first film which compiles everything together and makes sense eventually. A much better horror film that the first, but not even coming close to being as original. The things that this movie did right that the first film did wrong was provide a variety of areas throughout the house to view during the night and jumps that made me jump for the first time in a long time. Horror movies nowadays suck, but Paranormal Activity 2 is a very nice change of pace. Don't tell me it's fake and that I shouldn't be scared, because you would be crazy to say that your not! This film is terrifying as hell, and the scary thing is that you actually believe it's real, due to the realism that it portrays with back and forth to the first film. It isn't quite the fantastic piece of art the the first one was, but it definitely met the standards that I always look for in horror films. Overall, "Paranormal Activity 2" is a great surprise!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

January 7, 2013
I would recommend this. I dont think this Piece should be compared with "The Blair Witch Project."
Nicki M

October 23, 2010
So slow I initially thought it was crap, but ending creeped me out so much I have had to reconsider my initial impression!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 6, 2010
"I never cared for the first PA movie and I didn't really care for this one either. There was more to the barely there story and yes there were some definitely creepy moments. But there was nothing that really stood out for me to think this was a great scary flick. I guess I was expecting more to happen. I got bored numerous times throughout the movie and wanted to shut it off (other's wouldn't let me). A lot of people are really into these movies and think their scary. I am not one of those. It was creepy and all, but not enough was happening to keep me interested. Not something I will see again."
Everett J

February 21, 2011
In terms of sequels, this does a pretty good job of building the story of the first one by actually being a sequel and a prequel all at the same time. If you didn't like the first one, then you won't like this. All these movies are basically the same and you have to take them for what they are, or just ignore them. This movie follows Katie's sister Kristi and her family as they are being haunted by the same demon. It shows what happened before Katie was haunted, and then shows a little bit of what happens after the 1st movie. I thought the first movie was better, but this one has some very good qualities. One of the death scenes is fantastic, and having a toddler myself, the scenes with the boy in the crib are very unnerving. I liked the direction they went in and it made me want to see other installments, which is what all good sequels should try to accomplish.
Apeneck F

April 22, 2012
A family installs a video protection outfit in their home, then fails to watch the video. When something happens in which they can agree, they do nothing about it. Nobody in the house acts to save the baby ever. And after an hour and more of watching the kitchen, watching the stairs, watching the bedroom ad nauseum via a static camera they go to shaky, handheld,so-you-can't-see-much vidcam for the climatic scene. I was wishing the demon on the producers.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

March 12, 2012
Continuing the chills and jolts from the first film, Paranormal Activity 2 is a good follow-up to the horror phenomenon. With that in mind this film has got the task of trying to deliver effective jolts just like the first. The scares this around are at times predictable, but it does manage to be very creepy and thrilling, keeping you immersed into the film from start to finish. This sequel has had an impossible task, and the filmmakers were able to create something almost as good as the first film. However, the first Paranormal Activity is the best of the three, but this sequel is worthy considering the first was so spine tingling. This sequel has all the elements you'd expect, but unlike the first; it isn't as great. For me, the first will always be the best. The filmmakers have a great idea on how to make this a good entry, and where most sequels fail, this one succeeds. The film continues the tradition of delivering chills by having your imagination run wild. Even though it deals with a supernatural presence that we know is there, it still leaves a lot for you to guess. Sometimes the fear of the unknown is much better than actually seeing the terror, this is the case with this sequel. The film lets your imagination run wild, thus it's more scary that way. Sure the film is imperfect, but for the most part it succeeds at delivering good enough chills. If you've enjoyed the first film, you'll most likely going to enjoy this impressive sequel.
Albert K

November 10, 2011
"Paranormal Activity 2" effectively utilizes repetitive routine to let the audience's guard down then manages to surprise with shocking scenes. You're not gonna find good acting here but what works is the shock value. A good time.
Jason O

February 5, 2012
Better than the first...toss up as to which I prefer between this one and 3
flixsterman
flixsterman

April 23, 2010
Suffers from 'sequel-itis' - a reworked, slightly different version of the original that is designed to retrieve a target audience with minimum intellectual effort and maximum financial return.
jamers2011
jamers2011

October 20, 2011
I actually liked this a lot. Again, way scarier than the first. A bit redundant at times, and way slower than the first. I liked it more though simply for the fact that I was on the edge of my seat near the end, which is the reason I watched it in the first place. I also thought it was well connected to the first film while being completely different story wise, I liked it!
Joshua W

October 29, 2011
Highly dissapointing, after the effect of the first film this felt forced and sloppy. It had a good concept but was a flop and wasnt scary.
Scott G

October 29, 2011
When it's day, your okay, but when it's night, get those cushions at the ready, totally unpredictable, A steaming end to a devilish film with style, I do believe it is now my favourite horror of all time.
Matt G

January 23, 2011
Tries too hard to be scary. No plot line, just popups. Still, mildly entertaining.
Paul P

October 22, 2011
Everything in this movie seemed rather over-the-top to me, to the point some parts were rather comical instead of scary. I felt the best actor in the movie was the dog... by quite a bit. Most of the other characters were annoying, and some downright childish. For a few good laughs, I would recommend watching it. Although, if you are looking for a truly frightening experience, go elsewhere.
blkbomb
blkbomb

October 16, 2011
Ali Rey: I don't know if the house is haunted, but I hope it is.

"In 2009 you demanded it. Nothing can prepare you for what's next."

Through two films in the Paranormal Activity franchise, it is still fresh, fun and creepy. The franchise is no longer terrifying though. This just doesn't match the scare factor of the first, but it still manages to have a lot of creepy moments. Paranormal Activity 2 is actually a prequel to Paranormal Activity, and I must say, a not too bad prequel at that.

Okay, so the way they tied the story of Katie and Micah into the second film isn't perfect; Katie's sister is experiencing the hauntings before her. There are tons of plot holes with this, like you'd expect to remember Micah saying to Katie in the first film, "Hey, wasn't this shit happening to your sister?" but to be fair the filmmakers had no way of knowing that Paranormal Activity was going to be the mega hit it was. They were just having some fun with a small budget and couldn't have planned for a sequel. So I can forgive the gaping plot holes that this story creates in the story. And if you can forgive those too, I think you'll be able to enjoy a nice little twist near the end.

After the arrival of a new baby is when we first meet the family. They live in a nice house in Los Angeles. Not to long after first meeting them, a "break in" occurs while everyone is away; nothing is taken, but everything is tossed around. So the family decides to put in 24 hour surveillance cameras throughout the house and outside. This has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are that we now have different angles and positions in the house where we can see what is going on. The disadvantages, is that it takes away a lot of that unknown suspense that the first one had. When we heard bangs in the first film, we would have to wait to see what was going on because Micah would have to go pick up his camera and then go to wherever the noise was coming from. Here, we hear a noise and we jump from camera to camera, investigating what is going on. Not as effective in the scare department, but still cool.

With the number of sequels that are bound to come out, it will be interesting to see how long this series remains watchable. Through two, the series is great and hopefully the third will be good also. Since we are going to see an endless amount of sequels anyway, I hope at some point it goes back to its roots, where the makers try to make it as simple and with as little money as possible because the bigger the budget gets, the less and less scary these movies are going to be.