17% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Paranormal Entity Reviews

Alexander D

August 18, 2011
I can say with much truth that PARANORMAL ENTITY does succeed at one thing: mocking PARANORMAL ACTIVITY. In fact, The Asylum mocks the film so well that it looks like an exact copy with everything--the nighttime camera footage, the psychic interview footage, the concept of breaking the fourth wall--except the scares that PARANORMAL ACTIVITY was so amazing at creating with such a low budget. Besides the ripping off, PARANORMAL ENTITY fails at everything else: acting well, keeping the camera stable, keeping the audience full of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY fans from getting angry, making everything believable, being at least one-percent original, making a good movie...you name it. The bottom line is that I definitely do not recommend watching PARANORMAL ENTITY, especially if you are a PARANORMAL ACTIVITY fan.
3niR
3niR

May 28, 2010
This was as scary as the first one.
Daniel P

April 3, 2011
Stupefyingly dull Asylum "mockbuster", trying to cash in on the Paranormal Activity effect. Some surprisingly positive reviews had me hoping for that rare occasion when the rip off is better than the original, but that is most definitely not the case here. Incredibly prolonged sequences of camcorder footage and "what was that?" (nothing) type dialogue before an appropriately damp squib ending. Unlike Paranormal Activity, this is a badly made and acted film with no redeeming qualities.
Erin C

October 31, 2010
I thought this was pretty comparable to Paranormal Activity. It was very creepy, but the ending was disappointing. There was a huge gap during which they left out a large part of what happened.
Christopher B

July 13, 2010
I was sick for 3 days, so I always make sure to watch mindless movies in case I fall asleep or just get easily confused.  Mission accomplished with this dumb film.  Sure enough, here?s Asylum?s quick cash in on Paranormal Activity.  Like a version of Paranormal Activity with less scares and more tits.  Actually, that may appeal to some? not me though.
January 17, 2013
the minute i saw the sister's diary, i turned it off. It looks like it was written my some third grader with little thought.
October 9, 2012
This wasn't too terrible. If you're a fan of Paranormal Activity, you'll be a fan of Paranormal Entity.
juliantoepfer
October 10, 2011
Believe it or not, this was still better than any of the terrible 'Paranormal Activity' films. That is not to say that this was good though. It is still a rip-off in every imaginable way, and it pretty much fails to deliver in any determinable capacity. It does manage to do a few things well however which salvage it from being an utter and total waste.

As for its positives, it definitely creates a tone and a mood. It creates the feeling that something is about to jump out at you throughout the entire film, which did keep me paying attention. Unfortunately, this feeling of jumpiness goes largely unfulfilled. But for creating an uneasy feeling throughout, I have to give some props, as it is by far the most effective thing about the movie.

As far as its flaws go, they are much more prevalent. A really terrible script is made all the more terrible by bad acting. Just really ridged and unnatural dialogue makes it exceedingly hard to take a mockumentary seriously. The fact that there are really only three characters with nothing to offset their sub-par performances make them even more noticeable. At least Erin Hogan is smoking hot, so thankfully her casting wasn't a total waste.

The story overall is where the film is its weakest. Nothing happens. As I said, you are constantly thinking 'something is going to happen. Something is going to jump out of the dark at them', but nothing ever does. The fact that is is clearly and blatantly a rehashing of prior films is reinforced by its complete lack of originality or authenticity. Does seem to have an idea or two, but it is glanced over and never explored past the point of introduction.

Even bad story and acting aside though, I can not forgive its abrupt and fulfilling ending. It seems like you might finally see what has been hinted at throughout the movie, but instead, it just cuts out all the explanatory and action stuff you might actually be interested in seeing and picks up again afterwards. I'm all for leaving things to your audiences imagination, but there's a fine line between that and just not having anything to show. This is clearly the latter, and it suffers from a lack of innovation throughout.

When all is said and done, this is a below average movie that still manages to outperform the somehow critically acclaimed 'Paranormal Activity' from which it plagiarizes. A minimalistic and edgy feel with a couple of interesting ideas and scenes offset the questionable acting and painfully slow and anticlimactic plot at least to some small degree. Can't say I'd recommend much about it, but it's a step above totally terrible.
DaGMan4280
September 8, 2011
maybe an extremely influenced mock of Paranormal Activity but it definitely to me was successful. I still find it to be extremely terrifying it was totally extreme at the end the movie was very slow at first but holy shit it was very good
December 13, 2011
Complete rip-off of paranormal activity and shitastic, kind of like the annoying little-sister version that can never quite live up to the original. The main actress has no dialogue and only communicates using her over-dramatic shifty eyes and flashing her boobs. The main guy's only line is are you ok? A bunch of scary moments that aren't scary but very predictable and horribly acted. Just bad and unlike paranormal activity the poor budget def shows. Lots of crappy shooting and moments where you think ok this might lead up to something, except it never does and it just skips anything remotely promising or half-frightening. The ending was just sloppy like the rest of the film-waste of time.
March 10, 2011
Even more boring than Paranormal Activity and with a more frustrating ending. Cross 'Blair Witch Project' with 'Paranormal Activity' and you have this movie.
January 30, 2011
This was just like the Paranormal Activity movies and I love those and I loved this one. Really good movie and had a little more stuff than the Paranormal Activity movies. Really great movie.
October 19, 2010
I actually liked this a lot more than Paranormal Activity. For an amateur cast, the performances were pretty realistic- you felt like you were watching a family on a home video tape because families would be this awkward on film. The mom was the best of all the actors, it was a bit annoying that one could never see the son who was behind the camera almost constantly.

This movie provided the scares that Paranormal Activity did not, as well as described the origin of the "haunting" - which actually matches up with a lot of beliefs/claims to inviting evil spirits home. It helps that everyone in the family was pretty open to accepting this was a ghost and not reacting like dumb-ass Micah in PA and denying the thing exists or trying to call it out and fight it. Definitely a few notches above.
September 1, 2010
Pass on this one. It was horrifically dull. Nothing good about it. No jump scenes, no thrill, it dosen't even develop the "entity."
officialwwe13
August 26, 2010
seeing this movie for the first time,scared me to death :) that poor girl i felt so bad for her. but one of my fav movies though :D
March 11, 2010
Surprise, Surprise. The Asylum, a film company that prides itself of churning out quick, cheap, and ultra-lousy self described ?mockbusters? (like Transmorphers, Alien vs. Hunter, Snakes on a Train, etc) has struck again, this time with Paranormal Entity, which I?m assuming you are smart enough to figure out which film its mocking. Paranormal Entity concerns a family that is documenting the strange, paranormal occurrences that have been happening lately in their house. Spearheading the project is eldest son Thomas, who seems to be having more fun with it than his widowed MILF mom (Fia Perera) or super-SILF sister (Erin Marie Hogan). Much like Paranormal Activity, the nights get increasing worse as an unseen demon proceeds to mess with family, gradually growing more and more violent until people start dying. Here?s the real surprise twist: Paranormal Entity is actually good! For once, a blockbuster film has a budget equal to or below the normal budget the Asylum company assigns their god awful low-budget movies. For once though, their budget matches the budget of a big film, which results in a film that comes damn close to matching the original. A lot of the morons out there who hated PA may even fancy PE more so, since the film ironically has more ?activity? in it. In all honestly, it kinda does have more activity, inciting lots of scary ghostly moments, some blood, and a couple of GREAT shots of Hogan?s BEAUTIFUL big titties. Seriously, that chick was hot! Overall, a surprisingly good Asylum flick (gasp, never thought I?d say that) that has a bit more pizazz, though I'm still inclined to favor Paranormal Activity and its smarter usage of storytelling and subtle scares.
March 27, 2014
absolutely terrible , a complete abomination of a film
January 4, 2014
Paranormal Entity is a rip off of a better movie, what did you expect from The Asylum?
Jacob P

June 1, 2011
This movie was just as bad as the orignal film...didn't catch my attention with very few scares...and just so you know, the company (The Asylum) copies all the famous films like Paranormal Activity, Snakes On A Plane, and Even Titanic...But this one was a disapointment.