Critic Review - New York Daily News

It's as slow as a corpse, and half as interesting.

August 16, 2012 Full Review Source: New York Daily News | Comments (7)
New York Daily News
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Krissy Wolfswinkel

Krissy Wolfswinkel

New Yorkers think they're so above everyone and everything. We live in Scottsdale and we appreciate a movie that's different from the norm (no pun intended) I bet your life is super interesting in your NY apartment...and when you do go out, probably within 5 minutes you say you work for the NY Times? oops..I mean Daily News. Don't mean to be mean but these animated characters need to get hired again...HA!

Aug 17 - 04:56 PM

Kelly Brackett

Kelly Brackett

Took my 7 and 9 year olds to see this tonight and was sadly disappointed in this movie. For a kids movie, it was full of adult content and even had adult language. I dont know about everyone else, but my children dont know about gay men and the scene with the man and woman was totally irrevelent to the story. I was sorry I took my kids and am sure I'll have lots of questions and nitemares to go along...save your money and dont expose your kids to this...

Aug 17 - 07:52 PM

Austin Woods

Austin Woods

I'm not trying to be mean, but what made you think it was a kid's movie? Just curious.

Aug 20 - 05:44 PM

Kevin Scott

Kevin Scott

One quick joke that implies that a character is gay and now your children have been exposed to gay men? The movie was excellent and rated appropriately by the MPAA. Lighten up.

Aug 20 - 11:33 PM

Daniel Alderson

Daniel Alderson

Thanks Kevin. Well put. And Kelly, if one of your children is gay there's a very good chance they know it already so why not use any questions that arose from the (incredibly subtle) joke to let them know that homosexuality is acceptable and part of nature and that you love them regardless of who they turn out to be. Unless of course you don't think this. I'm guessing one of two things happened. They either got the (incredibly subtle) joke in which case, they've already been exposed to the knowledge that gay men exist (and not what they get up to in the privacy of their own bedroom) or the joke went way over their heads in which case what are you worried about? I'm struggling to remember the instance of adult language too...

Aug 21 - 01:40 PM

Bill Bunch

Bill Bunch

I agree-way overrated. Reminded me of Monster House, but not as clever. Could have been funny, but instead had to deal with all the guilt. I should have left with Uncle Prendergast.

Aug 18 - 11:56 AM

Dictator Fred

Dictator Fred

I hate New York critics, but this guy's right. This movie is almost identical to last year's superior Super 8.

Aug 21 - 11:33 AM