Five Favorite Films with ParaNorman Directors Chris Butler and Sam Fell

Summary

Following the success of Henry Selick's wondrous Coraline in 2009, the team at Laika studios are back this week with their second animated feature, ParaNorman, another stop-motion marvel concerning the misadventure of a young outsider and his spooky connection to the land of the dead. Pitched as "John Hughes meets John Carpenter," it's written by Coraline and Corpse Bride animation artist Chris Butler and co-directed by Butler and Aardman alum Sam Fell, with voices by Kodi Smit-McPhee, Anna Kendrick and John Goodman, and music by Jon Brion. We had a chance to chat with Fell and Butler this week ahead of the movie's release, where they talked about five of their favorite movies -- and how they influenced the creation and execution of ParaNorman. Back to Article

Comments

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

I thought I would never see Evil Dead II on a Five Favorite List! My favorite horror movie, the one that inspired me to try and make movies.

Aug 15 - 08:16 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Evil Dead 2 . . . yeahhhhh after seeing ARMY OF DARKNESS I lost amore for Evil Dead 2; Evil Dead 2 is a cheap redo of The Evil Dead, an all-time horror fave.///but . . . considering how DISGUSTINGLY HORRIBLE ParaNorman looks, I can see why Evil Dead 2 would be on a Favorite Films list.// WHO THE HELL WOULD WANT TO SEE CRAP LIKE PARANORMAN? Certainly NOT me, but then people who aren't me may want to see ParaNorman.

Aug 16 - 03:43 PM

CoreyG

Corey Gallagher

Critics seem to love it...

Aug 17 - 12:25 AM

DBrock

David E-Brock

A little bit passionate there for a kid's cartoon buddy...and it looks damn good for a kidpic. From the Coraline people,one of the best kid films in years,so the all caps hate is kind of odd...are you being funny?

Aug 17 - 10:22 AM

Chris Schmidt

Chris Schmidt

I'll see it. Want to come with me?

Aug 17 - 07:36 PM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

More a promo for their movie than a top 5.

Aug 15 - 09:04 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Perceptive.

Aug 16 - 03:43 PM

jake s.

jake suttles

well they clearly state at the beginning that these are movies they thought of when they made the movie, but that they were also movies that had influence on them as kids. do people even read anything aside from the 5 movies?

Aug 17 - 10:33 AM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

Its called Top Five. Not Top Five to Promote My New Movie.
Do people even use caps anymore?

Aug 20 - 09:40 AM

Kyle Cox

Kyle Cox

"Five Favorite Films with ParaNorman Directors Chris Butler and Sam Fell
The writing/directing team behind this week's stop-motion animation talk the films that influenced their creation." Really man? This is the headline of the article. It's confusing as well as frustrating that people keep leaving comments about genre of top five listed. Kill yourself for being stupid, followed by being stubbornly stupid after someone (jake suttles) calls you out.

Aug 22 - 11:07 PM

Billy Skelly

Billy Skelly

great list... amazing when you have the goonies and evil dead 2 on a list...also breakfast club...great movies

Aug 15 - 09:23 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

I love the Goonies. I have always wanted to see John Carpenter's The Fog but i have never actually had time to watch it. I really Like the Evil Dead franchise so thats cool. Very cool List overall. I personally hate the Breakfast Club but hey the guy seems to like it so thats ok.

Aug 15 - 11:33 PM

detroit666

Dawn HAvard

You should see The Fog - it's so awful it's good.

Aug 16 - 11:15 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

noooo waaayyy . . . THE FOG is so good, its good: very compelling storyline that seems Lovecraftian in tone (in the sense that the Northern Californian coast reminds me of New England and the ghosts coming out of the water reminds me of the Old Ones and then I'm reminded of Edgar Allan Poe because of the "Dream Within a Dream" quote at the beginning and the Elizabeth Dane Lost at Sea motif in the story). The soundtrack is AWESOME!!!! and the directing yields a lot of tension////---you know though, if a kid born after 1986 watches THE FOG that same kid will say The Fog is so bad its good because KIDS TODAY are SPOILED and OVER-STIMULATED with cell phones and ipods, ipads, kindles, nooks, smart-phones . . . kids today (people born in the late 1980s have very little time for THe FOG and very little time for pretty much everything else.)

Aug 16 - 03:39 PM

Michael Dalton

Michael Dalton

Agree completely about The Fog. I've actually watched it more than Halloween. Carpenter's perfect direction withstanding, the two sort of go together but everything about The Fog is so spot on. The location, the cinematography, the editing (the tension builds like magic), and of course Carpenter's minimalist score which increased my enjoyment one hundredfold are all magnificent.
The remake, which I can only assume is what Dawn is referring to above, must be one of the worst films of all time.

Oct 4 - 08:22 PM

jimb14red

Michael Sullivan

You must be refering to the remake that is so awful.

Aug 19 - 03:42 PM

Brad Parise

Brad Parise

As a community we want there top 5 of all time, not ones that influenced there newest project.

Aug 16 - 12:02 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I like it when they think outside the box. Much more so than say Duchovny's list.

Aug 16 - 06:00 AM

jimb14red

Michael Sullivan

Duchovny's list is one of the best ones.

Aug 19 - 03:42 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

We?

Aug 16 - 05:04 PM

jake s.

jake suttles

right? lol I thought their approach was great, and it allowed for one of the most interesting lists in a long time.

Aug 17 - 10:35 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

I think it adds a bit of perspective to their mentality when making the film.

Also, their***

Aug 18 - 07:15 AM

Brad Parise

Brad Parise

Aug 16 - 12:02 AM

Dave J

Dave J

If you're an inspired film maker, these type of lists are relevent since if their newest flick is well received sometimes people would like know what some of it's influences are since it's sometimes better to read about them before waiting for it to come on the extras!

Aug 16 - 01:52 PM

DBrock

David E-Brock

Yeah! Why would you add some relevance to the list? ok just for you...Godfather part2,Citizen Kane,The good,the bad,the ugly,Casablanca,Raging Bull. Happy?

Aug 17 - 10:26 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

If they picked any of those, the complaint would be "Those are such cliche picks." Dudes can't win.

Aug 18 - 07:52 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I still believe that The Goonies is one of the very few movies out there that deserves a sequel (unlike shit like Cars 2). The Fog, never saw the original, but almost laughed watching the awful remake.

Aug 16 - 12:55 AM

jimb14red

Michael Sullivan

As opposed to any other remake?

Aug 19 - 03:44 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

The absolute worst is still the BLACK CHRISTMAS remake.

Aug 20 - 06:48 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

The Fog is an unusual, but inspired, choice. Such a good, creepy and atmospheric movie.

The remake was complete shit.

Aug 16 - 05:54 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Aug 16 - 06:00 AM

jimb14red

Michael Sullivan

Duchovny's list is one of the best ones.

Aug 19 - 03:42 PM

rallypoint1

John Curran Jr.

Great freakin list.

Aug 16 - 06:09 AM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

They messed up on the article. This isn't Laika's second film, it's their thid. They did Corpse Bride fist. Followed by Coraline and ParaNorman. These are some good picks. ParaNorman looks good but I'll catch it sometime down the line.

Aug 16 - 10:12 AM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Laika was only contracted to do some stop-motion work in "Corpse Bride (as well as for Harold & Kumar 2 and King of California). "Coraline" was the company's first real foray into working on a complete stop-motion film. Now technically it's predecessor Will Vinton studios has worked on several others, however, the current incarnation has only worked on "Coraline" and "Paranorman".

Aug 16 - 08:02 PM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

surprised to see the Goonies with a 63% rating...thought it would be much higher.....nice to see Evil Dead 2 at 98%...a true work of art!

Aug 16 - 10:32 AM

detroit666

Dawn HAvard

You should see The Fog - it's so awful it's good.

Aug 16 - 11:15 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Aug 16 - 03:39 PM

Michael Dalton

Michael Dalton

Oct 4 - 08:22 PM

jimb14red

Michael Sullivan

You must be refering to the remake that is so awful.

Aug 19 - 03:42 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Aug 16 - 01:52 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Aug 16 - 03:39 PM

Michael Dalton

Michael Dalton

Oct 4 - 08:22 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday